Thompson

shoeless

Retired staff
Premium
According to Kendall Rogers, he spoke to Miami staff and says Thompson could be back this weekend.

Advertisement
I like it because if he can return to form in time for the postseason, that does nothing but help us offensively.

I don't like it for two reasons: one, Ruiz has done pretty well at 3B so far (other than his air-mailed throw in the 9th against Duke on Sunday), and I'm not sure I want him out of the lineup--especially if his bat picks back up. Two, I would be OK with letting this type of injury/surgery fully heal from now until next season, and not risking Thompson hurting himself for next season or longer.

The other conundrum this presents to Morris is who to take off the field. Do you bring Kennedy back in at C, move Collins to 1B, and put Thompson back at 3B (which weakens your D on the corners, but sits Fieger and puts Thompson back in)? Do you keep a struggling Fieger at 1B or 3B for defense, and put Thompson at the other spot (which helps offensively but hurts defensively by flipping Thompson for Ruiz)? Personally, I would DH Thompson and put Abreu back in RF. Lineup could look like this:

CF - Carey
LF - Palmer
C - Collins
RF - Abreu
DH - Thompson
SS - Hernandez
2B - Lopez
3B - Ruiz
1B - Fieger

That's how I'd do it anyway. To be honest, I would even maybe flip Thompson and Fieger in the batting order for the first few games Thompson is back, just to ease him back in at the bottom of the lineup. In an inning where you have to face 9-1-2 (Thompson-Carey-Palmer), that would be challenging for a pitcher to face, and then head into appearances by Collins/Abreu to follow it up. Could potentially set up a big inning in that situation.

Last edited:
Fieger is struggling in a big way. I think the easy move is Thompson just replacing Fieger at 1B. No need to move anything else around.

Willie is DHing because of injury. If he can play the field again, that opens up a couple more options.

Fieger is struggling in a big way. I think the easy move is Thompson just replacing Fieger at 1B. No need to move anything else around.

Willie is DHing because of injury. If he can play the field again, that opens up a couple more options.
All good thoughts. I'm just scared of Thompson's D, as he hasn't been that solid this year at either corner spot, where Fieger has at least given some stability at 1B, even though his bat is sucking it up majorly at the moment.

I will say this for Fieger though...from what I recall, he seems to pick it up at the plate for the ACC Tourney and postseason. Hopefully he can turn the corner. If he does, we'll be dangerous.

Personally I would like Eusebio in the OF, Thompson to 1B, keep Collins catching and Ruiz at 3B with Abreu at DH.

1. Carey RF
2. Palmer LF
3. Collins C
4. Abreu DH
5. Thompson 1B
6. Lopez SS
7. Hernandez 2B
8. Ruiz 3B
9. Eusebio CF (like a 2nd lead off)

Advertisement
Personally I would like Eusebio in the OF, Thompson to 1B, keep Collins catching and Ruiz at 3B with Abreu at DH.

1. Carey RF
2. Palmer LF
3. Collins C
4. Abreu DH
5. Thompson 1B
6. Lopez SS
7. Hernandez 2B
8. Ruiz 3B
9. Eusebio CF (like a 2nd lead off)

Think this is pretty spot on, maybe flip lopez and Hernandez in the order but all factors considered that's probably the 9 I'm riding or dying with when a trip to Omaha is on the line

Also IF he gets his timing back and is the .300 hitter we've seen would put DT clean up to split Collins and Abreus left handed bats perhaps

Advertisement
Anything that gets Fieger out of the lineup is a must do.
I had the same thought, but again--he's been really solid defensively. And putting either Thompson or Collins in his vacancy is an immediate downgrade defensively...and if you're not solid by this point of the year out in the field, you can easily error your way to a loss that sends you home. It's a tough situation because Fieger's pretty much been an automatic out as of late, too.

That's the challenge for Morris here. He has to find the right balance between offense/defense. Honestly, the safest (read: not necessarily correct) solution would be to keep Thompson on the bench as a huge bat to pinch hit with in a big spot when we need him. We'll see how he decides to handle it.

IMO - I would make sure Thompson was ready to hit before I disrupted the lineup. Admittedly, I am not up to speed on where he is in his "being back" process, so I don't know what to expect.

All that being said, 1B or DH and keep that sack of potatoes away from the hot corner unless part of his recovery has been taking lots of grounders.

I don't think there's any chance we see Thompson at 3b the rest of the way this year.

As for Fiegers D, I don't agree that his play lately has been solid. He's had some big errors last few weeks

I don't think there's any chance we see Thompson at 3b the rest of the way this year.

As for Fiegers D, I don't agree that his play lately has been solid. He's had some big errors last few weeks
Compared to what we've gotten out of Thompson/Collins at 1B this year, he's been solid. I guess I should have clarified. Plus, he's been there and played well in the postseason before. Thompson/Collins haven't as of yet.

Advertisement

Agreed. Fieger has been pretty bad. Thompson can't be much worse and his bat is SOOO much better.

Advertisement
If he's ready and not really out of sorts with his timing offensively, it seems like a rather easy decision to have Thompson at 1st and Fieger as a PH off the bench.

Where are some of you getting this notion that Thompson's glove is sub par? I was just looking at UM's stats. Last season, Thompson had 13 errors (.951 fid %), Lopez had 12 (.953 vld %), Hernandez had 12 (.962 vld %). This season, Thompson had 5 errors before the injury for a .967 fielding %. Ruiz has 10 errors for an .885 fielding %. Lopez this year has 9 errors for a .981 fielding % and Hernandez has a .981 fielding %. Thompson's BA was at .328 overall and .579 in ACC play. Ruiz is at .241 overall and .222 in conference play. Fieger's hitting .215 overall and .194 in conference. Fieger also has 5 errors (.987 fld %).

Fielding percentage is probably the least meaningful, most irrelevant stat ever created. You don't have to make actual errors. Not getting outs and not getting to reachable balls hurts just as much as an error and the runner has the same right to first base as if an error was made. Thompson is not a good 3rd baseman, period.

Advertisement
Back