This weeks Negative Thought: Get your head out of your @ss

Miami04

Senior
I am going to get blasted for this I know but its ok. With a father in politics I have learned all I need to know about message board bravery. Some of our fans and a lot of people on this and other message boards are out of their minds. Do things look bleak? Yes. Does it look like Golden is not the man for the job? Yes. Does Coley offense look terrible? Yes. Are there a lot of positives right now? NO.

BUT. That is really no excuse for the actions of some of the "fans".

Let's start with the banner. This team is 1-1 right now and controls its own destiny. What if we win out all the way to FSU and we have a banner flying in a game that is #1 vs #20 that says Fire Al Golden. Stupid. Likely?, probably not but why plan for failure? I am fine with plans being made for a banner when we lose our second or third ACC game. Or when we can no longer win the Coastal. Or when a 10 win season is out of the picture. But making plans after 1 game is...I cant even think of the right word, maybe embarrassing. And embarrassing is what it will be to Miami, the fans, the recruits, ANY POTENTIAL COACH. What good quality coach is going to say "well the pay is the same, the recruiting grounds are fertile but run by crooks, and you have awful fan support and the fans will want me fired if I don't win a title in 3 years. I'll take it"

Next, the administration. Let's take Shalala for her sports side only. Nothing to do with the medical school. I think it is time for her to move on because everyone wants a change. But it is disappointing that the most sports enthusiastic president we have ever had presided over the worst 10 years of Miami football since the 70's. You guys dont remember Foote, the one who ran off Jimmy Johnson. Just think on that. We had a president run off Jimmy Johnson. This administration has done its best to bring in the right people to the Athletic Department. I have personally received returned phone calls from assistant AD's and Blake James himself for assistance. This never happened in the 2000's. They have restored customer service to the UM Athletic Deportment. I cant say its 100% better but it is leaps and bounds better.

The administration pt 2. (Coaching) I am not sure what some of you want from the UM administration. Lets start with Shannon. He was an awful hire by Paul Dee. After 4 years, we the fans demanded change and we were given it. Shannon was fired by Kirby Hocutt after 4 years. That is the proper amount of time to let a coach get everything the way he wants it. Shalala signed off on the firing. Now here we are with Golden. Some people are going crazy to fire him, which is fine and looks like it is the correct train of thought. But the crazy outrage because he was not fired on the plane home from Louisville? That's what I don't understand. It's never been the UM way. Golden is going to get his 4 years to see what he can do. And honestly he might even get a 5th year just because the University hired him and never told him about the investigation.

When Golden was hired he was pretty close to a cant miss up and comer that most people were very happy about. It's not like the administration hired another failed assistant. And in truth there were probably some better candidates looking back but hindsight is always easy.

In summary. Do I think Golden is the right man for the job? Not any longer. Do I think Shalala is amazing? I thought she was pretty good but I agree it is time for change. So as you can see I have the same opinions of the people flying banners and sending crazy emails to the athletic department. But there is a right way and a wrong way to go about getting change. And for a small minority of our fan base, that happens to scream louder than the majority, they are going about it the wrong way. Do it without embarrassing the University, the Head Coaching position, the recruits, and most importantly me and the rest of the University of Miami Football fanbase.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I repped you, F$ck you for the banner clarification bra. My apologies - am i wreck with emotions right now. The team, coaches, fans, and posters in here have a ninja like me going crazy.. Im hurt dawg..!

I member Foote. He was a complete idiot. Almost punched him once. I tend to think JJ left for the premier NFL coaching job working for his former college team mate a little more than merely his issues with Foote--although those were not small. But results matter and Foote had 3 NCs. Donna was gifted a NC by Butch and then proceeded to watch the program dissolve under her watch. You are right about ADs. We have not had a good one since Sam. That does not mean James is a good one. That will be determine by who he gets to replace Al. Make no mistake, Al is gone. Donna leaving might have bought him some time just to make sure she doesn't have a hand in it.

one thing i have given blake is that he is trying to do so much with so little, busing in students, building the schwartz center, i think its more the university and funding for the football team than blake, but im with gatorhater, im going to judge his overall job on the next hire

Blake's football hire will make or break him. If its bad, we will be 20 years of irrelevant.

Advertisement
Al Golden is the biggest embarrassment of them all.

13-12 in the ACC.

He can go kick rocks.

"the fans will want me fired if I don't win a title in 3 years"

You know full well that isn't what people are ****ed about.

oie_2416034mKvQ4FZS.gif

OP I don't disagree with you. I think waiting until we can see the more of his body of evidence for this year before reacting is prudent.

That said, I disagree with your title expectation. I don't think anyone here is asking for Golden to win a NC in 3-4 years. But seeing as we have had the top recruiting classes in the ACC Coastal 4 years running, is it not realistic to expect us to win it once in 3-4 years? I mean, we have more talent that everyone else in it, yet we fall short every year of winning our division...much less the conference. That is not an unrealistic expectation IMO.

Is it an unrealistic expectation for us to be competitive against ranked teams? For us not to trott out there and have the defense give up close to 500 yards while the offense struggles to convert 3rd downs?

This cloud excuse we keep hearing, what does that have to do with showing up prepared? With calling the right plays to succeed? With motivating your players to excel that are on scholarship? The cloud if anything should affect recruiting. That's it. Everything else should be attributed to our Head Coach's competency, or lack thereof.

Advertisement
I am going to get blasted for this I know but its ok. With a father in politics I have learned all I need to know about message board bravery. Some of our fans and a lot of people on this and other message boards are out of their minds. Do things look bleak? Yes. Does it look like Golden is not the man for the job? Yes. Does Coley offense look terrible? Yes. Are there a lot of positives right now? NO.

BUT. That is really no excuse for the actions of some of the "fans".

Actually, that all calls for the exact actions by some of the fans.

/notice I removed the apostrophes?

I didn't get past the first paragraph where you admitted that we suck on offense and defense and that Folden isn't the man for the job.

I don't see why you're upset with hardcore UM fans who want Golden greased after you admitted all that.

I didn't get past the first paragraph where you admitted that we suck on offense and defense and that Folden isn't the man for the job.

I don't see why you're upset with hardcore UM fans who want Golden greased after you admitted all that.

i don't think he's the man for the job, but i also don't think firing him midseason will accomplish anything. we don't have anyone capable of holding the interim job for the next 10 games.

Advertisement

i don't think he's the man for the job, but i also don't think firing him midseason will accomplish anything. we don't have anyone capable of holding the interim job for the next 10 games.

So you are saying we shouldn't fire an incompetent person because we dont know if another incompetent person could do the job?

So you are saying we shouldn't fire an incompetent person because we dont know if another incompetent person could do the job?

no, i'm saying that if we fire him, we should wait until the end of the year. as bad as he has been, i trust golden to run the team more than i trust coley or d'onofrio. haden made the right move with kiffen because he had a capable replacement in orgeron. we don't have that.

OP I don't disagree with you. I think waiting until we can see the more of his body of evidence for this year before reacting is prudent.

That said, I disagree with your title expectation. I don't think anyone here is asking for Golden to win a NC in 3-4 years. But seeing as we have had the top recruiting classes in the ACC Coastal 4 years running, is it not realistic to expect us to win it once in 3-4 years? I mean, we have more talent that everyone else in it, yet we fall short every year of winning our division...much less the conference. That is not an unrealistic expectation IMO.

Is it an unrealistic expectation for us to be competitive against ranked teams? For us not to trott out there and have the defense give up close to 500 yards while the offense struggles to convert 3rd downs?

This cloud excuse we keep hearing, what does that have to do with showing up prepared? With calling the right plays to succeed? With motivating your players to excel that are on scholarship? The cloud if anything should affect recruiting. That's it. Everything else should be attributed to our Head Coach's competency, or lack thereof.

I totally agree with all of this. Our fans though need to be smarter about their actions.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back