This Team's a Big Disappointment

Glad to see the team get back in the win column. Rough 2 week stretch this month (Jan. 6-20), but we've got to keep things in perspective. As things sit, we're currently 13-6 with 12 games left, split right down the middle. 6 at home, 6 on the road. We're going to need 7-8 regular season wins to give ourselves a chance to get in the big dance. And depending how we do in the ACC tournament will pretty much dictate whether we get in or find ourselves in the NIT. All is not lost... yet.

GO CANES!!!

Advertisement
Glad to see the team get back in the win column. Rough 2 week stretch this month (Jan. 6-20), but we've got to keep things in perspective. As things sit, we're currently 13-6 with 12 games left, split right down the middle. 6 at home, 6 on the road. We're going to need 7-8 regular season wins to give ourselves a chance to get in the big dance. And depending how we do in the ACC tournament will pretty much dictate whether we get in or find ourselves in the NIT. All is not lost... yet.

GO CANES!!!
Tough remaining schedule. Gonna be very difficult.

Last night's win was very welcome but hardly impressive. With the exception, of course, of Norchad Omier who outdid himself. Just as was the case last season, he's the team MVP and easily our most irreplaceable player.

GO CANES!!!
Need to treat the remaining 12 as tournament basketball, win and move on. The marker is 8-4 during that stretch. We don't hit it NIT here we come unless we rip through the ACC tournament.

I greatly respect your many posts but he's not wrong you know... there were many posting and applauding stuff like this:
View attachment 280480

You yourself may have been more realistic, and others of course with you, but a good deal did indeed have those expectations and bashed anyone who spoke up in disagreement.

Just setting the record "straighter" with a receipt. TY.

Thank you for keeping those receipts. The unrealistic expectation was to reload and make the Final Four.
No one literally nor figuratively was talking about "top 4 in the ACC".

Thank you for keeping those receipts. The unrealistic expectation was to reload and make the Final Four.
Everyone can look at talent and expect the coaches to just, make magic happen.

There is a difference in talent and intelligence.

When you can find those players that crossover even a fragment of one into the other, than you have found someone with potential. Unless you can find players that are just hungry, without all of the distraction of attention

The most critical part of Coach L's best teams was the hunger without distraction.

This team has hunger, but most of them think they are better than they really are. They are selfish, and just flat out not smart basketball players.

Coach L, built this team...and sometimes you make mistakes. This is a selfish and a dumb team....

Advertisement

When you can find those players that crossover even a fragment of one into the other, than you have found someone with potential. Unless you can find players that are just hungry, without all of the distraction of attention

The most critical part of Coach L's best teams was the hunger without distraction.

This team has hunger, but most of them think they are better than they really are. They are selfish, and just flat out not smart basketball players.

Coach L, built this team...and sometimes you make mistakes. This is a selfish and a dumb team....

I don’t think the team is dumb, I think the team is showing immaturity which manifests in a tendency to play selfish and thus not smart basketball.

Being small compounds the issue because we need effort and intelligence to make up for lack of size… but the effort is mostly being channeled toward individual offense (creating turnover after turnover).

This year is a great example of how hard it is to sustain success.

Fortunately there’s still some time left to figure it out and there has been some progress the last few games.

After Elite Eight and FF appearances, no reason not to be very optimistic this season. That said, I think a bunch of us realized how close we came to going out against Drake in the first round of last year's FF run. All sorts of factors go into NCAAT success.

Until this team can learn to rebound, I don't see them winning a whole lot more. I believe we have only outrebounded 6 or so opponents, and 3 of them were NJIT, Long Island, and Lasalle................do the math.

Advertisement
Cutting down on the turnovers would put us back to winning games and keep other teams from keeping the games close.

Such high expectations after the last 2 years, and the losses continue to mount. Hope Coach L can turn this year around
It's not the team that's a disappointment. You all simply won't call a spade a spade. Buddy has recruited virtually zero size and prioritized an average scorer as the primary scorer. They're not capable of playing the same game as the previous two seasons because we don't have a impact scorer and all these under sized guards are simply average. Pack should be the priority as a shooter and George should be the second option. Wooga poplar is not some high value scorer. If Mario was the basketball coach and had recruited this team and done the dumb **** coach l continues to do this season he'd be crucified. I get it hes had a he'll of a career and has took this program to new levels. But the way this team has been built is a joke. He's recruiting my nephew and I told him and my nephew not a chance in **** he's coming here.

Advertisement
I’m going to go out on put most of the blame on L for this year. Has two open spots and refuses to use them on 1 year rentals. Go out and get two big men who are somewhat decent. Instead you are forced to play Nwoko and Casey who just aren’t it at the moment.
Casey sucks and like I was saying last year nwoko won't be ready to contribute (as he's shown)this season is entirely coach L fault.

Does it help that he stands there like a corpse throughout the entirety of the game?

It's not the team that's a disappointment. You all simply won't call a spade a spade. Buddy has recruited virtually zero size and prioritized an average scorer as the primary scorer. They're not capable of playing the same game as the previous two seasons because we don't have a impact scorer and all these under sized guards are simply average. Pack should be the priority as a shooter and George should be the second option. Wooga poplar is not some high value scorer. If Mario was the basketball coach and had recruited this team and done the dumb **** coach l continues to do this season he'd be crucified. I get it hes had a he'll of a career and has took this program to new levels. But the way this team has been built is a joke. He's recruiting my nephew and I told him and my nephew not a chance in **** he's coming here.

You defend Mario and post this?

L has taken a program with no support, no history, and no resources and made it an ACC leader with elite postseason success… and you’re hating on L and going out of your way to hurt the program because you’re mad he sees Poplar as a premier impact player?

That is…. Pathetic.

Advertisement
You defend Mario and post this?

L has taken a program with no support, no history, and no resources and made it an ACC leader with elite postseason success… and you’re hating on L and going out of your way to hurt the program because you’re mad he sees Poplar as a premier impact player?

That is…. Pathetic.
Call it whatever you like. Don't really give a ****. Myself while I'll certainly defend Mario I also hold him accountable for his issues. Yall should do the same with coach L. He's never (here atleast)built a team with any size. I won't argue for coach Hamilton and what he did here without any support at all. You my friend are a blatant moron if you think this team has no support and no resources. Nil is arguably more important to basketball than it is football & its certainly not an issue for us. Funny **** to say I'm going out of my way to hurt the program cause I finally make several comments on a message board for us. Unless ur saying that over my nephew and if so **** all the way off. My nephew is 7ft and a dominant inside force. He's a **** good shooter and amazing distributor. You would let your family come to a program that sees no value in size? If so that's on u.

The only corpse is the message board hero who is bashing a coach who has had more success than message board tough guy could dream of.

Pathetic.
You and ur lame *** insults is all I see as pathetic. I'm fine with what I've accomplished in my life. None of which as a coach, all as a player. But you make tough guy comments. If that's what you want me to be than no pressure. Eat a **** sissy boy. Have your mother eat fruity pebbles out of your fruity **** boy ***. Did I do that right?

There are no dynasties in modern CBB.

It's virtually impossible to replicate repeated success at that rate. Even teams like Gonzaga who are always in it every year have an extremely difficult time getting over the hump.

Going back the last 5 years, these are the Final Four teams:

2023 - UCONN, San Diego ST, Miami & FAU

2022 - Kansas, UNC, Duke & Villanova

2021 - Baylor, Gonzaga, Houston & UCLA

2019 - UVA, TTech, Auburn & Mich ST

2018 - Villanova, Michigan, Kansas & Loyola Chicago

Point being, in today's day & age, making it to an Elite 8 & following it up with a F4 is as impressive as it can get for a non-traditional Blueblood school.

Seasons nowadays are pretty much one-offs & most of the time unpredictable, even moreso now with massive Portal transfers taking place.

Advertisement
Back