This staff needs to stop taking silents

Kshanley13

Freshman
Too many times it never works out. Programs like Clemson and LSU don't take silents and some don't even let commits visits, threatening to pull offers because of it. These kids nowadays tell staffs they are committing to keep a spot and wait for the big time offer they want and then switch. Idk if we are at a level where we can threaten pulling scholarships from big time recruits like Clemson does but something has to change bcuz we are getting played wayyyy too much.

Advertisement
Because a kid who is publicly committed can't flip? Who cares?

I've seen 50 posts recently about silent commits. OK...Ingraham publicly commits in July. Wonderful. Takes an OV to Bama last weekend, is "influenced" as heavily as he was, comes home, and flips. Do some of you guys think a public commitment is binding? Let me spell it out for everyone:

Nothing. Matters. Until. They. Sign.

Period.

Silent commits, public commits, leans, crystal balls, UOVs, visits for games, tweets, Instagram Live....none of it matters. Y'all are acting like silent commitments are the reason we're losing kids to Alabama. Get a clue.

Too many times it never works out. Programs like Clemson and LSU don't take silents and some don't even let commits visits, threatening to pull offers because of it. These kids nowadays tell staffs they are committing to keep a spot and wait for the big time offer they want and then switch. Idk if we are at a level where we can threaten pulling scholarships from big time recruits like Clemson does but something has to change bcuz we are getting played wayyyy too much.

LOL! Is Clemson losing to 2-3 a year to the likes of UVA and Pitt?

My gawd

Yes

I've seen 50 posts recently about silent commits. OK...Ingraham publicly commits in July. Wonderful. Takes an OV to Bama last weekend, is "influenced" as heavily as he was, comes home, and flips. Do some of you guys think a public commitment is binding? Let me spell it out for everyone:

Period.

Silent commits, public commits, leans, crystal balls, UOVs, visits for games, tweets, Instagram Live....none of it matters. Y'all are acting like silent commitments are the reason we're losing kids to Alabama. Get a clue.

You are missing the OP's point. He is saying that if we decline to accept a silent from a 4-5 star recruit, things will be better for us. How that is possible, no one has a clue, not even the OP.

Advertisement
Yes

You are missing the OP's point. He is saying that if we decline to accept a silent from a 4-5 star recruit, things will be better for us. How that is possible, no one has a clue, not even the OP.

Hahaha exactly. So his thread was completely useless. Couldn't agree more. Now we can let it die where it belongs.

A coach can’t not accept a silent commit. There’s no good way around that.

What that coach can do is not trust it and continue to recruit else where and not be stuck throwing out last minute offers hoping for a back up plan. Stop trusting what they are saying especially when certain schools are involved.

A coach can’t not accept a silent commit. There’s no good way around that.

What that coach can do is not trust it and continue to recruit else where and not be stuck throwing out last minute offers hoping for a back up plan. Stop trusting what they are saying especially when certain schools are involved.

This

Yea this is ridiculous to complain about imo. No “commitment” is official until signing day anyways.

Advertisement
I don't know what "taking" a silent commit even means... There's no paperwork. He's not signing anything. ****, he's not even making a public statement. Nobody outside a small group of people in the program and in his life even knows (at least in theory) that he's "silently committed."

If you mean to say we should tell a kid who wants to silently commit to go kick rocks, then, my friend, that's just dumb. By example, would you have told Al Blades "no," when he wanted to wait to announce on Fathers' Day? That's not going to help with recruiting.

But, if you are saying the staff should be savages on the trail and keep recruiting hard at positions where recruits are allegedly "silently" committed, then I agree 100%. Whether a commit is public, private, or silent, the staff needs to keep recruiting at his position. Until the signed LOI comes in, keep recruiting at his position, especially if it's a position of need.

Every so often, you have a rare kid publicly committed that is out being a brand ambassador for the program and trying to pull in other players in a class like a Duke/Dallas/Lingard/Jordan. Maybe we count those guys as committed before the ink is dry... MAYBE. But other than that, if a recruit is looking at other schools, then we should continue recruiting his potential replacement.

Pretty broad statements that are purely speculation but whatever fits your narrative on why UM lost a commitment works I guess.

The ultimate answer to the whole recruiting drama is to have a rolling signing period and do away with signing day all together. Every time a recruit wants to commit during his senior season he should be able to sign on the spot.

This stop altheletes from playing games and waiting for certain offer/bag. And would put all of these coaches on notice that they need to make proper evaluations. Seriously why do need offical signing day at all?

Last edited:
Advertisement
Lost to syracuse when they're starting QB got hurt right?

How many national titles they've played for the last 4 years?

BCS bowl games?

they lost to pitt the year before. besides that, they're def elite. early on, Dabo was nearly fired but they stuck with him and did what i think miami should do -- pay elite money to your OC and DC and let the HC be the CEO solely. it took dabo some time to get to this point, but he was afforded the time to build. remember, it was a few years ago they hosted FSU as a highly ranked team and got smoked on primetime tv w Boyd.

they lost to pitt the year before. besides that, they're def elite. early on, Dabo was nearly fired but they stuck with him and did what i think miami should do -- pay elite money to your OC and DC and let the HC be the CEO solely. it took dabo some time to get to this point, but he was afforded the time to build. remember, it was a few years ago they hosted FSU as a highly ranked team and got smoked on primetime tv w Boyd.

Why are we comparing Dabo to Richt though? Dabo was a new HC and was learning....

Advertisement

Period.

I agree w u; however I think the problem is counting a silent in the class and then we stop recruiting for “x” position. The moment a kid is taking OV’s, we need to be taking OV’s. Too often, and I’m referring to the Golden yrs as well, we’re left w the jimmy hanging out in our hands, scrambling, and that’s how we constantly wind up w projects.

One of the concerns I voiced w Richt was his recruiting ability, HERE, in So Fla. The laid back approach may have worked in GA, especially w the boosters behind him, but it’s a different animal going from being the poacher to the defender of the turf. Many can’t handle it; u need a particular type of personality.

I don't know what "taking" a silent commit even means... There's no paperwork. He's not signing anything. ****, he's not even making a public statement. Nobody outside a small group of people in the program and in his life even knows (at least in theory) that he's "silently committed."

If you mean to say we should tell a kid who wants to silently commit to go kick rocks, then, my friend, that's just dumb. By example, would you have told Al Blades "no," when he wanted to wait to announce on Fathers' Day? That's not going to help with recruiting.

But, if you are saying the staff should be savages on the trail and keep recruiting hard at positions where recruits are allegedly "silently" committed, then I agree 100%. Whether a commit is public, private, or silent, the staff needs to keep recruiting at his position. Until the signed LOI comes in, keep recruiting at his position, especially if it's a position of need.

Every so often, you have a rare kid publicly committed that is out being a brand ambassador for the program and trying to pull in other players in a class like a Duke/Dallas/Lingard/Jordan. Maybe we count those guys as committed before the ink is dry... MAYBE. But other than that, if a recruit is looking at other schools, then we should continue recruiting his potential replacement.

This!

I agree w u; however I think the problem is counting a silent in the class and then we stop recruiting for “x” position. The moment a kid is taking OV’s, we need to be taking OV’s. Too often, and I’m referring to the Golden yrs as well, we’re left w the jimmy hanging out in our hands, scrambling, and that’s how we constantly wind up w projects.

One of the concerns I voiced w Richt was his recruiting ability, HERE, in So Fla. The laid back approach may have worked in GA, especially w the boosters behind him, but it’s a different animal going from being the poacher to the defender of the turf. Many can’t handle it; u need a particular type of personality.

Richt encourages kids to go on visits no matter their interest in Miami. It's his way of selling himself as someone who looks out for the best interest of the athletes. That's his whole spiel of enjoy the recruiting process bc it's only happens once in a lifetime. This was known and often complained about by UGA fans.

Kids visiting when silently committed or verbally committed is a Richt problem.

Last edited:

Period.

Thank you. Someone else gets it.

Advertisement
Back