This may have been stated already

cane22

Recruit
I watched the 2013 GT game quickly again. A couple major differences in that game. First, we did use the same basic defensive alignment last year. But, we stopped the dive. When they did give to the dive, our DT's made plays. Second, it seemed to me like Thomas made some very bad reads last year and wanted to get to the edge, we shut that down. I saw at least 5 times when he pulled the dive and the B back went untouched for 7 yards (thankfully without the ball). Last, we got up on them and forced them to pass. Their protection sucked and the QB was terrible. But we were able to pin our ears back. Sorry to beat a dead horse. Just frustrated. On to Cincy.

Advertisement
I watched the 2013 GT game quickly again. A couple major differences in that game. First, we did use the same basic defensive alignment last year. But, we stopped the dive. When they did give to the dive, our DT's made plays. Second, it seemed to me like Thomas made some very bad reads last year and wanted to get to the edge, we shut that down. I saw at least 5 times when he pulled the dive and the B back went untouched for 7 yards (thankfully without the ball). Last, we got up on them and forced them to pass. Their protection sucked and the QB was terrible. But we were able to pin our ears back. Sorry to beat a dead horse. Just frustrated. On to Cincy.

they bombed us for 340 rushing we cant rely on TOs to win every game. That is the problem. WE need to play aggressive and shut teams down. Shannon shut better GT teams down his last 2 years. Utter shut down where they could get pass the LOS.

I'm pretty sure the modus operanti that they used was pretty simple. DTs stop the dive (mind you putting them in a 2technique didn't help), DE take the QB and the LB on that side take the pitchman.

I have no problems with this. The problem I do have was the fact as i stated was that our DTs were exclusively in a 2techs (or head up on the guard), my problem with this is, they have to beat a Guard head up, who they know is cutting (and we have very tall DTs and rangy ones, making it easier for a linemen to cut), then fill in the A or B Gap based on where the dive man is going (almost always exclusively A gap). Why not put them both in a 1technique (head up in the A gap), because they can now occupy the guards and center and fill in both A gaps. They now have two men occupying 3 blockers! and it lets them explode forward with their first step and potentially making a play on the dive man, while allowing the MLB free reign, because now he doesn't have a center running free 7 yards and head hunting for his knees. The fact that the MLB was playing 7 yards off the line was absurd, heels at 4 MAYBE 5 give you the best angles to hit the LOS in three steps at 45 degrees.

I'm a big teacher of if the DE is free and you're the read man and the QB is acting as if he is the ball carrier, hit him as dam hard as you possibly can! He was to be a running back let him get hit like one every dam time he pretends to be one, and let the LB take care of the pitchman. (I think putting Grace and try Carter at LB on the pitchmen would have been ideal cause of speed and ability to tackle)

Essentially in football front terminology, play a Tight 40.

they bombed us for 340 rushing we cant rely on TOs to win every game. That is the problem. WE need to play aggressive and shut teams down. Shannon shut better GT teams down his last 2 years. Utter shut down where they could get pass the LOS.

This. Those GT teams with Gailey's talent were tough to beat. Nesbitt, Dwyer, Stephen Hill, Demeryious Thomas... Shannon beat them into submission in 09 after getting mauled in 08. Some thought a big reason he brought in Leavitt was how well he did against Gt and the option. At least Shannon wasn't going to let the ******* triple option embarrass him again.

I'm pretty sure the modus operanti that they used was pretty simple. DTs stop the dive (mind you putting them in a 2technique didn't help), DE take the QB and the LB on that side take the pitchman.

I have no problems with this. The problem I do have was the fact as i stated was that our DTs were exclusively in a 2techs (or head up on the guard), my problem with this is, they have to beat a Guard head up, who they know is cutting (and we have very tall DTs and rangy ones, making it easier for a linemen to cut), then fill in the A or B Gap based on where the dive man is going (almost always exclusively A gap). Why not put them both in a 1technique (head up in the A gap), because they can now occupy the guards and center and fill in both A gaps. They now have two men occupying 3 blockers! and it lets them explode forward with their first step and potentially making a play on the dive man, while allowing the MLB free reign, because now he doesn't have a center running free 7 yards and head hunting for his knees. The fact that the MLB was playing 7 yards off the line was absurd, heels at 4 MAYBE 5 give you the best angles to hit the LOS in three steps at 45 degrees.

I'm a big teacher of if the DE is free and you're the read man and the QB is acting as if he is the ball carrier, hit him as dam hard as you possibly can! He was to be a running back let him get hit like one every dam time he pretends to be one, and let the LB take care of the pitchman. (I think putting Grace and try Carter at LB on the pitchmen would have been ideal cause of speed and ability to tackle)

Another problem is that GTech will switch their flex bone blocking assignments based on what we do. So, if we stay the same way throughout the game waiting for their mistake, we become increasingly more susceptible to the Safety getting knocked off the pitch play by a WR (or new blocking assignment). That's why, on basically 3 big, important plays, they went to the edge and found gold. Unbelievably frustrating to watch. I feel for Perryman and our Safeties. They were in a terrible spot on Saturday.

Advertisement

Sounds good but what happens when you put the tackle in a 1 tech and they go B gap dive? Or fake A gap and qb pulls and goes midline (b gap). For me I think its tough to put both tackles in 1 techs.

Another problem is that GTech will switch their flex bone blocking assignments based on what we do. So, if we stay the same way throughout the game waiting for their mistake, we become increasingly more susceptible to the Safety getting knocked off the pitch play by a WR (or new blocking assignment). That's why, on basically 3 big, important plays, they went to the edge and found gold. Unbelievably frustrating to watch. I feel for Perryman and our Safeties. They were in a terrible spot on Saturday.

That really is what's the most frustrating thing about watching this team. You can see that what we're doing is clearly not working, yet we never make any adjustments to remedy the situation. We just keep banging our head against the wall.

Sounds good but what happens when you put the tackle in a 1 tech and they go B gap dive? Or fake A gap and qb pulls and goes midline (b gap). For me I think its tough to put both tackles in 1 techs.

I hear you loud and clear, but at the very least at least we're making their FB move somewhat sideways instead of striaght ahead, and with our DT occupying the 3 linemen, it lets Perryman do his thing. I'll put my money on him meeting the FB in that hole and making it less then a 5.2 YPG. Just my opinion.

The triple options lives off the A/B gap dive, and I'm not a big time paid coach, but I think that was the best option. It also allows our DTs to take explode into the gap instead of having to take 2 or 3 steps from the 2tech position.

But move them around go from a Strong, Weak, Tight and Wide 40 if they're that concerned.

You learn something new every week of your life, I learned last week that it is too much to ask the defense to hold a one dimensional offense under 300 yds rushing........

Advertisement

Golden, in some weird way, goes into each game expecting an opponent to do exactly what "HE" thought they would do pre-game. If a team adjusts, it's as if that team has committed great sin in Golden's mind.

Advertisement
Back