This is deeper than football.

Advertisement
Covid may just save Manny's job, because of covid there were no on campus visits and parents were pushing harder then ever to get there kids home. There is no way we would have signed two 5* players in a normal year and probably lost a few of the high 4* receivers as well. I hope he shows the passion that he had as a DC instead of the mello HC he has been the last 2 years.

Speak on it, bro. Nice post

Advertisement
I'd offer an alternative.

He isn't learning to be leader, enough with this "he's a young HC and growing". If he didn't get it figured out at coordinator level, it is almost impossible to learn those skills as a HC, and even more weight to argument James made wrong call in hiring him.

Proof: Returning to defensive play calling and marginalizing/keeping Baker (given the circumstances) isn't "take charge leadership", its desperation from a figure who see the train coming down the tracks.

Ask yourself this: pick any HC you believe to be great (even very good). Would they have made this same choice?

I suspect the majority, if not all, would not have.
Idk if I agree with this....Miami isn't a one size fits all situation, I agree with OP on us having limited resources but only to the extent of our competitors. There was a poster a few days ago that brought out an excellent fact: He mentioned something like out of all the teams in Miami's situation, being a private school that receives ZERO state funding that your regular powerhouse programs receive. Now, with that being said, Notre Dame is in the category but we all know they have a "DIFFERENT" funding resource so they don't exactly fit. Comparative schools would include, Stanford (last time I checked Shaw is still the coach and he hasn't exactly performed well the last few years), Northwestern (top 25 season this year but not exactly considered a football powerhouse), Miami (has an advantage due to recruiting footprint/locale but while getting the Joes is good, we all know it takes the X's and O's to put it all together. Our administration is finally coming around to open that checkbook more than they have in the past and to me that's a sign of believing in what Manny is trying to do, clear evidence in 2020 is our 8-3 record with zero FCS games and a tough G5 UAB team that went 6-3 and won the Conference USA title.

Let's just do some numbers here, we normally play at least one FCS game which would've been another W, so now we're at 9-3, and we'd had another G5 team scheduled which would've been another W, so now we're at 10-3. Had we won 10 games this year would Manny be viewed favorably or viewed as a "trash" and we need him jettisoned out of Miami? Sound football minds would all agree that he'd be sitting quite nicely right now and that INCLUDES the Blake Baker fiasco and his decision to retain him (with there being a general consensus that Manny will run the DEF this year only, and once Bakers deal falls off the books post 2021 we add his somewhere in the $1M salary range to the "Kevin Steele" DC salary pot and we he goes out and brings in the kinds of DCs that command upward of $2M-$3M). Manny just needs to be our Defensive Coordinator for 1 season and do what he's already shown he can do, run an elite defensive unit.

He is too soft with the players who do not perform. They think he is their buddy and not their head coach. Also, not sure he has the stones to fire his buddies.
I think there's possibly something to this. There's a line to toe between hard *** and buddy. Coker and Shannon were on the 2 polar ends and neither worked (many other factors there as well, but that was a big one). You need to be feared and loved and it's a tricky tightrope to walk with guys this age. I'm less worried about him ultimately firing friends. But it's pretty clear accountability with players is a real issue.

Given the title of this thread I’d say Manny is about up to his neck right now and may be drowning by this time next year.

Advertisement
Manny is learning to be a leader, he’s using the resources he has to attract the talent and coaches that he needs around him, he actually has the talent to compete for a conference championship right now, he does that and he’ll gain more momentum in recruiting and attract more talent, which would bring more competition, he just can’t be soft kids want to play for someone who’s a stand up guy and that’s not gone take no ****, money and resources we can’t compete it is what it is, but what we can do and I know we can do it is gain enough momentum get talent this is Miami, and that will attract more talent, the key is consistently though
You misspelled yearning

Do people realize it’s okay to say Manny sucks as a HC? That’s not being negative or a mope, it’s being real. Do I want him to succeed? Of course I do, but sadly I know he won’t. We have not shown any signs of being a good football team under his leadership.
Last check going from 6-7 to 8-3 is still considered a step in the right direction. Problem with many here is that they're so tied up into their feelings that they can't see the forest for the trees. I'm not saying we're winning a natty next year or the year after for that matter. Nor am I saying that I have irrefutable evidence that Manny is the guy. All I'm saying is let's support what's in the building. Let's hope they continue to develop as players and coaches. For in the end, all Canes fans want is a team competing for and winning championships. All this talk about what we think we know and don't know needs to cease.

GO CANES!!!

Advertisement
Manny is learning to be a leader, he’s using the resources he has to attract the talent and coaches that he needs around him, he actually has the talent to compete for a conference championship right now, he does that and he’ll gain more momentum in recruiting and attract more talent, which would bring more competition, he just can’t be soft kids want to play for someone who’s a stand up guy and that’s not gone take no ****, money and resources we can’t compete it is what it is, but what we can do and I know we can do it is gain enough momentum get talent this is Miami, and that will attract more talent, the key is consistently though
1611016691266.gif

I see this comment elsewhere and was curious. Have any players ever said Diaz is too soft and not their head coach. Or is that something that only posters just keep posting on this website and the herd mentality takes over. If it’s something else or something more that supports this “Diaz is too soft” thing, what is it? Thanks.

PS I remember when Ron Zook was at a frat party with some of his UF players (as an example) but have never heard of Manny doing something like that.
I’d say he’s soft by not holding guys accountable.

That’s players and coaches. Too often, mistakes are not punished.

Advertisement
Covid may just save Manny's job, because of covid there were no on campus visits and parents were pushing harder then ever to get there kids home. There is no way we would have signed two 5* players in a normal year and probably lost a few of the high 4* receivers as well. I hope he shows the passion that he had as a DC instead of the mello HC he has been the last 2 years.
Plenty of south Florida kids still flocked OOS. I agree to a certain extent on the Covid factor. But not necessarily for the kids like LT and James Williams we landed. You have to credit that to the fact we been on those kids since 8th grade Alain

What is the evidence he’s learning to be a leader?

/aksing for a friend

I'd offer an alternative.

He isn't learning to be leader, enough with this "he's a young HC and growing". If he didn't get it figured out at coordinator level, it is almost impossible to learn those skills as a HC, and even more weight to argument James made wrong call in hiring him.

Proof: Returning to defensive play calling and marginalizing/keeping Baker (given the circumstances) isn't "take charge leadership", its desperation from a figure who see the train coming down the tracks.

Ask yourself this: pick any HC you believe to be great (even very good). Would they have made this same choice?

I suspect the majority, if not all, would not have.
I’d offer an alternative to your theory. Let’s think about this in terms of a regular job. You pick up things as you go about what it might take to be, a manager, let’s say. You learn some of the things you need to do, how to handle different personalities, but some things you just can’t learn until you are put in that position. It takes some time to learn and grow in that position (obviously there are outliers, some can have success right away) but it doesn’t happen for everyone. Does Manny have what it takes to bring us back? Maybe, maybe not. But recruiting, transfers, overhauling the offensive staff, making changes on defense (minus Baker, who should have been fired but I truly believe Manny was trying to make more moves on defense but things fell through), 6-7 to 8-3 record. Things do seem to be trending upwards

Advertisement
Back