This game is always the barrometer

Iggcane

Recruit
To me, this game is always the one that tells us if our defensive coordinator is any good. This is a gimmick offense, and any defensive coordinator worth his salt can get his players in a position to shut it down. When you have players as athletic and physical as we do on our defense, we should be able to take things away.

We came into this game knowing they would run the triple option, and we did not take a way a single thing all game long. While I don't have many screen shots, there were multiple times throughout the game where our alignment was so off, that I knew that Gt had the advantage from the jump. The scheme he employed required our players to be coming down hill from distance to make an open field tackle, while running full speed. While the coaches will blame this on execution, I put it 100% on the coaches.

When you know what another team is going to do, when they are almost 100% one dimensional, and you have superior athletes, and you can't shut it down, it is on the coach. It is sad. It is sad that we continue to struggle against lessor talent.

Even last week, we had to get up for a big game against Duke. Against Duke. We have real players on this team. We should dominate them on athleticism alone.

Advertisement
While I agree that the scheme is horrible, no defensive coordinator is going to effectively shut down GT. VT has been the only team to consistently to hold them under 200 yards rushing until this year.

Interesting stat; anytime they rush for less than 200 yards they lose.

Don't need to shut them down 100% to stop them. You can take things away, the dive, the pitch, etc. We let them do all three phases consistently all night. The pitch is a high risk play. I guarantee you we make more plays if we take away the dive. This offense will kill you if you are consistently in 2nd and 4, vs 2nd and 8 to 10. They knew we couldn't stop the dive and it opened up their play book. Its inexcusable with the players we have on this team to allow GT to move the ball like that. I can live with some big plays on the pitch, but you need to take something away.

just go into the game and TAKE AWAY SOM,ETHING FROM THEM...

WE PLAYED BACK AND DID NOTHING..I SWEAR I DONT REMEMBER A BLITZ IN THIS GAME....

Advertisement
You have to shut down the dive early. If they dive, they can option. We never took out the dive, but even when we did we had NO answer for the pitch man. It was pathetic

GT is not really a gimmick offense. It's a prehistoric offense. Done properly, it's simple to shut down, but you have to control the LOS and be disciplined. Needless to say, we did neither. That's the coaching staff's fault.

i think Miami is the barometer for other teams, if they win, they know their going to win atleast 8, if they lose, they know their a bad team

Advertisement
Next week we play a vulnerable gimmick offense. All Cincinnati does is throw. That makes them susceptible to long games in which all their weaknesses are open to exposure. Lots of possessions and likely many turnovers. In that case the superior personnel has a tremendous advantage.

Georgia Tech has an offense that allows them to play more physical and more aggressive than they really are. That defense would be comically bad if they actually were on the field a normal percentage of the time. Even tonight Miami had very high yards per play, just not many plays.

There's great value to high number of rushing attempts. For some reason the nitwits prefer to ignore that and to champion someone like Mike Leach and his 19 rushes per game. Today the most pathetic offensive effort I watched was Tennessee hosting Florida. The Vols were such finesse weaklings they had Florida shut out heading into the 4th quarter yet finished with only 29 rushes for 28 yards, while throwing 39 times. Florida patiently ran the ball 48 times and eventually wore out Tennessee. When you are losing 9-0 heading into the 4th quarter yet finish with 19 more rushes than the opponent that should serve to deflect the ignorant conventional wisdom that rushing attempt numbers are solely dictated by who leads in the final minutes. I have charted games for more than 25 years. Florida always had far greater opportunity to win that game than the scoreboard indicated because of the rushing attempt numbers. The mainstream media never mentions stuff like that. Leach blows many games late because he refuses to run the ball.

While I agree the Georgia Tech game is somewhat of a barometer, their offense is in better shape this year with Justin Thomas at quarterback. They have been an option team in description only the past few years. Take the fullback away and they had nothing else with Tevin Washington and Vad Lee at quarterback. Last season and late in 2012, as mentioned on the telecast, they were often resorting to pistol and zone read looks. Paul Johnson doesn't believe in that stuff but he felt he had no choice but to join the crowd. Now with Thomas they are finally adding wrinkles that should have been present for years.

just go into the game and TAKE AWAY SOM,ETHING FROM THEM...

WE PLAYED BACK AND DID NOTHING..I SWEAR I DONT REMEMBER A BLITZ IN THIS GAME....

You sure blitzing a triple-option team is the smartest thing to do?

yup..u can do some things with your dbs and safeties...as their not a threat throwing the ball at all...nd we can match up one on one..Deon Bush/Jamal Carter should of been around the line of scrimmage alll **** game.....You do nothing..?? You can walk up a lb in to the a gap where their dive was killing every so often.... Im guessing you think we played it right then..because go knows if we blitzed them would could happen since they run the vaunted triple option...lol..Paul Johnson called a grand total of 4-5 plays total against us last night...that sh*t aint that complicated.

Next week we play a vulnerable gimmick offense. All Cincinnati does is throw. That makes them susceptible to long games in which all their weaknesses are open to exposure. Lots of possessions and likely many turnovers. In that case the superior personnel has a tremendous advantage.

Georgia Tech has an offense that allows them to play more physical and more aggressive than they really are. That defense would be comically bad if they actually were on the field a normal percentage of the time. Even tonight Miami had very high yards per play, just not many plays.

There's great value to high number of rushing attempts. For some reason the nitwits prefer to ignore that and to champion someone like Mike Leach and his 19 rushes per game. Today the most pathetic offensive effort I watched was Tennessee hosting Florida. The Vols were such finesse weaklings they had Florida shut out heading into the 4th quarter yet finished with only 29 rushes for 28 yards, while throwing 39 times. Florida patiently ran the ball 48 times and eventually wore out Tennessee. When you are losing 9-0 heading into the 4th quarter yet finish with 19 more rushes than the opponent that should serve to deflect the ignorant conventional wisdom that rushing attempt numbers are solely dictated by who leads in the final minutes. I have charted games for more than 25 years. Florida always had far greater opportunity to win that game than the scoreboard indicated because of the rushing attempt numbers. The mainstream media never mentions stuff like that. Leach blows many games late because he refuses to run the ball.

While I agree the Georgia Tech game is somewhat of a barometer, their offense is in better shape this year with Justin Thomas at quarterback. They have been an option team in description only the past few years. Take the fullback away and they had nothing else with Tevin Washington and Vad Lee at quarterback. Last season and late in 2012, as mentioned on the telecast, they were often resorting to pistol and zone read looks. Paul Johnson doesn't believe in that stuff but he felt he had no choice but to join the crowd. Now with Thomas they are finally adding wrinkles that should have been present for years.

Florida didn't wear them down, they just put in a qb that isn't awful.

They scored all ten points after Treon entered the game .

Advertisement
+100000 Cribby

Their defense was phenomenal but Driskel was being himself... UTwas fine with Jones and his carries because they knew unless he went "Gurley" on them they was going to win as long as Driskel was in the game.

How many completions did treon have? Florida wore them down.

How many completions did treon have? Florida wore them down.

So tenn happened to get tired right when treon came in? His first drive? Then his second ? Lol. Ok

The complete feel of game changed when he came in, even the stadium knew it. The whole team morale changed.

Zero points for an entire game, qb change ten points . Hmm

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back