This All Makes Sense To Me Now

theibisrules

Senior
VERY INTERESTING READ...

From another site and good read:

Kevin Bell posted 1 day ago Contributor

I have no blame for Golden as far as Cook is concerned. He did everything he could to swing him. It's just a shame that we lose out on another one of the, "Legends," of the sport down in Miami. As far as Treon Harris is concerned, that is inexcusable. I'm never one to second guess the staff's evaluations, especially Coley's, but I've seen Harris's tape and he is miles better than Alin Edouard and particularly Malk Rosier. If you are going to take 2 dual -threat QB's, I don't understand passing on the QB for the best team in the country in your own backyard and is considered legend there for some nobody recruit from Alabama. After Edouard decommitted, offering Harris at QB should have been a no brainer but instead the staff decided to offer him two days ago which is perceived as an insult. It would have been a perfect jolt for local recruiting and would have helped with our perception. At this point, the fact that Florida State offered him at QB is a good enough reason for us to do so as well, even if he ends up playing a different position in college.

Another issue concerning the state of recruiting is the conclusion of the Brandon Powell confusion. I don't know how Florida can come in the 11th hour one, offer Powell, an Early Enrollee, flip his commitment, and then get him to enroll the day after that. How that can possibly occur is beyond me.

What Butch did is far worse than what Golden did, but as you have said Chris, winning cures all. The question as to whether Golden can translate to wins is up in the air while Butch is perceived as guaranteed wins and with this uncertainty and lack of visible improvement on the field, that's why the fan base is so quick to beg for Butch to return. All of his past transgressions are willing to be forgotten since we needs wins and he can allegedly provide them. While Butch literally lied his way out the door, the perception is that Golden was about to do the same thing without so much as a phone call to the school president if he had actually been offered the Penn State job. He did have a bad week, but that bad week just opened ourselves up to more negative recruiting that we had just moved on from.

Yes we did go 9-4. Yes we are an entitled fan base. But to the recruits that watched the games this year, they don't feel sold on the product being put on the field. Auburn was coming off a 2-10 record and a head coaching change. Their expectations were much lower than ours, but just as realistic in their validity. Taking a miracle to beat Georgia and another miracle to be #1 two time defending champion and hated rival Alabama on the way to the national championship game is overachieving against stellar competition and very different from our underachieving against mediocre competition and eking out wins versus Wake, North Carolina, and Georgia Tech. While Malzahn inherited outstanding talent leftover from the Chizik era, this illustrates what lengths good coaching can take a team. Furthermore, Auburn was still able to beat the teams they were supposed to beat comfortably.

As far as you, "that's football," arguments, we are going to an area of, "what if." If Duke doesn't go down, I have no reason to believe that our record is any different than what it finished as. We were not going to beat Florida State that day if Jesus lined up on defense for us. The Virginia Tech loss was tied to the special team miscues, but that did not cause the defense to give up 42 points to a team who had the very average Logan Thomas look like a legend that day while the most VT would score against another D1 team that year was 29 in triple overtime against Marshall. In the Duke game, while this Duke was not the lovable pushover that we are used, 30 total points, 23 from the offense, should have been more than enough to beat Duke. This shows what good coaching and development can reap. For all the issues the NCAA caused us, we got much better recruits than Duke did and we got embarrassed by 18 points and gave up 48. Even having our Duke would not have changed the game's final outcome.

In regards to the NCAA issue being over, I admitted in another article on this website that it did poison this class to a certain degree and that's why we are missing on the 5 star Cooks and Sonys of the world. But we are in a good enough position that this dark past problem is not bothering us with middle tier recruits. I'm not expecting the conclusion of the NCAA saga to bring all the 2014 recruits running into our arms, but when it first happened we did see massive renewed interest and we used this interest effectively. The recent performance of the team and the confusion and alleged fraud on Golden's part is what has really thrown a kink in our recruiting.

We will be playing catch up with other schools for the younger recruits, but we have seasons coming up to almost instantly close the gap. Our 2015 has only one recruit, Charles Perry, who's tape screams future stud. But one recruit at this point is a problem. We should be somewhere in the 5-7 range this late in the game. On the flip side, our 2016 class has two recruits, better than most schools at this point, in Mark Walton and Chauncey Gardner who also show immense promise. Going 10-3 and winning the Coastal, a very realistic and fair expectation, would effectively remove the NCAA stain from all future classes and render the slightly developed relationships with other schools at that point miniscule and nearly moot.

In December when we had the 30 commits, I would have fully agreed with you. We are down to 26 recruits and usually we would have heard about high level recruits we in the running for at this point. Other than J. C. Jackson, I can't think of one. Golden's lack of his usual enthusiasm scares me in that he first missed on the job he truly wanted and now recruits cooled off on him due to his perceived lying. When he has closed strong the last 3 years, he's had a vigor about him and rumors about these supposed flips had been floating around. I'm not hearing any of that at this point and that is concerning.

I've been following the Valentine story closely and according to a well respected Hurricane website, as of January 9, 2013, Golden has not contacted Valentine at all and LSU has been straight blowing up his phone. It is concerning and I don't want to act like the sky is falling, but it is definitely teetering at this point. If he does recommit, it was a whole lot of fear for nothing and we will have dodged a major bullet and gotten arguably our most important recruit and. He will be a starter from Day One and that is apparent to anyone that has watched him. He was far and away the best player at the U. S. Army Bowl two weekends ago and he absolutely dominated top notch competition.

My, "should," comment was based on what I was hearing back when the class was 30 recruits. There were was word that the class was stellar and that just one or two more 4 star pieces were going to be added. At that time, Jackson was considered a heavy Miami lean but that changed the day after the Louisville game and when Florida State was Pasadena bound. My panic meter for the class is at a 4 right now simply because we are losing commits, some of the current commits are rumored to be on flimsy ground, and I haven't heard chatter of adding any names at this point in the game and that is not a good sign.

The recruiting class may not be exclusively the assistants, but they are easily the MVPs at this point with Golden's credibility and sincerity being called into question. Coley has earned his $500,000 salary and then some based exclusively on his recruiting accomplishments this season alone. Yearby, Kaaya, Smith (one of my favorite recruits this cycle. Very underrated.), Gray, Mayes, Rosier Thomas, Brady, and Jackson are all due to Coley. Darling, Owens, Herndon, McCray, and Young are all due Barrow. Harris and is due to Brown and he has been the secondary recruiter for many of the other commits. Something that is very telling is that all of these recruits and some of the ones I didn't name here Tweeted or somehow affirmed their dedication to Miami, not Golden, when he disappeared. If I took any positive out of this fiasco, it was that these young men are committed to the school, not the coach. He is just the icing on the cake to help pull them and to convince their parents to trust him with their son. As of right now, that strength of Golden is wounded severely right now. It is not beyond repair nor will it hamper him should the team meet expectations next year, but if they disappoint and frustrate again next year, but not to the point of getting Golden fired, like they did this year, this issue will stick with him and come back to nag him as he tries to pull in the 2015 class and the cycle may continue for the foreseeable future classes. It may be one week, but it put his credibility on the line to a certain extent and we were just getting back to full strength recruiting.

Golden was and is a phenomenal recruiter. I don't think the fire has been lost, but it has dimmed a little bit. He has yet to show his typical Golden energy that I admired in him. When the dead period is over, I'll be very curious to see how much direct recruiting he performs himself and if that fire that we love in him is back. But I will say this and this is my own personal opinion. He was a great recruiter at Temple, Boston College, Virginia, and Penn State. A big reason for that is he related to and identified with the high school talent in that area. He was pulling essentially whatever top recruits from the Northeast that he wanted. I think he still has a disconnect with the city of Miami, the community of Miami, and Miami football. He has done well recruiting due to having the correct assistants in place, fostering growing relationships with high school coaches, selling himself to parents, and his relentlessness. That will only go so far when it comes to getting the highest level local recruits. It's his X's and O's that will eventually hold him back. He runs a 3-4, 2 gap defense. Miami college and high school football is 4-3, 1 gap based. He approves of an enormous cushion to wide receivers. Miami college and high school football is very aggressive bump-and-run coverage. The offense is very reminiscent of old school Miami other than the zone blocking scheme. But if Golden expects to sell defensive recruits on a system they have never played in and aren't comfortable with than he is fooling himself. Watching Louisville act and play the way Miami should was the low point of the season as far as I'm concerned. They were showcasing the tough swagger that we are lacking and the word is starting to spread that Golden and Shalala are trying to curtail that attitude. If that happens, we will be consistently shooting ourselves in the foot. We brag and he brags about the school's championships achievements in football. We brag about the swagger of the team. He doesn't and if he has, he does not translate it into the team's on field attitude. The administration is probably thrilled with this, but it will poison our recruiting base and recruits, especially elite ones, will continue to leave in droves, now heading more and more to Florida State. How often do we see players for a different school put up the 305 while playing us? The University of Miami, for better or worse, is not identified with Miami city brand football anymore and it is a problem that may become a full blown cancer if this culture change isn't reversed. Seeing the kicker for Louisville punk Artie Burns and look to have more Miami attitude in him than our players do made me genuinely physically ill. This is one area I do not have faith in Golden. He may very well return us to our championship ways, but he will do it his way with his Penn State ideals, not Miami ideals.

His handling of Penn State irritated me more than it did most and I was already having my reservations regarding Golden. James Franklin will go to the NFL the fist chance he gets. That could be in a year, two years, who knows? Will we have to deal with this again? Al Golden is the head coach of the University of Miami football program, but I don't know how committed he is to us. His last public statements were insincere and he looked and sounded like he would rather be anywhere but in Miami. I hope he finishes strong like he usually does on the recruiting trail and I hope he is the guy to bring us more championships, but the fallout from his recent actions is far from settled. In one fell swoop, the team, the recruits, the administration, and the fans lost respect for him and it could have been much worse had he actually gotten the job offer he clearly wanted.

Advertisement
I've been following the Valentine story closely and according to a well respected Hurricane website, as of January 9, 2013, Golden has not contacted Valentine at all and LSU has been straight blowing up his phone.

Dead Period still in affect. How can LSU be blowing up his phone unless he is the one calling them?

I've been following the Valentine story closely and according to a well respected Hurricane website, as of January 9, 2013, Golden has not contacted Valentine at all and LSU has been straight blowing up his phone.

Dead Period still in affect. How can LSU be blowing up his phone unless he is the one calling them?
Coaches can still call and message, no face to face communication though.

Advertisement
LOL, you guys realize this entire article was written by some guy from a board just like this one, and the sources he cites, are boards just like this one. There is absolutely nothing ground breaking in that article that hasnt been discussed on here 100 times, and most of what he is talking about, he's gotten off of message boards just like this, probably to include this one specifically.

you sure....there is a quiet period and a dead period....

Football Championship Subdivision (FCS):

Calendar runs 08-01-13 through 07-31-14. Reference the definitions if needed.

08-01-13 thru 11-30-13 Quiet Period *with the following exceptions (i)
(i) Sept., Oct., & Nov. (i)Evaluation Period **with the following exception (ii)
(ii) Only one evaluation per athlete for the college coach. The college coach only has 42 evaluation days during this period.
12-01-13 thru 02-01-14 Contact Period *with the following exceptions of 1-8 below
Six in-person off-campus contacts per prospective student-athlete shall be permitted during this time period with not more than one permitted in any one calendar week.
(1) 12-15-13 Quiet Period. All JUCO recruits who intend to enroll midyear.
(2) 12-16-13 thru 12-19-13 Dead Period *with the following exception (i)
(i) Contact Period. Coaches may have contact with a recruit who has been admitted for midyear enrollment, provided the recruit has signed a National Letter of Intent.
(3) 12-20-13 thru 12-21-13 Quiet Period. All JUCO recruits who intend to enroll midyear.
(4) 12-22-13 Quiet Period
(5) 12-23-13 thru 01-03-14 Dead Period *with the following exception (i)
(i) Contact Period. Coaches may have contact with a recruit who has been admitted for midyear enrollment, provided the recruit has signed a National Letter of Intent.
(6) 01-04-14 thru 01-11-14 Quiet Period. All JUCO recruits who intend to enroll midyear.
(7) 01-12-14 Quiet Period
(8) 01-13-14 thru 01-16-14 Dead Period *with the following exception (i)
02-02-14 Quiet Period
02-03-14 thru 02-06-14 Dead Period
02-07-14 thru 04-14-14 Quiet Period
04-15-14 thru 05-31-14 Evaluation Period *with the following exceptions (i) & (ii)
(i) College coach can use two evaluations per athlete during this period. One for athletics and the other has to be for academic evaluation. If the college coach does both evaluations on the same day, than the coach is granted another athletics evaluation of the athlete.
(ii) 168 evaluation days during this time excluding Memorial Day and Sundays.
04-15-14 thru 05-31-14 Quiet Period **(when not conducting the evaluations above)
06-01-14 thru 07-31-14 Quiet Period

Al does look like a beaten puppy dog. Have any of you delt with situation where your wife or girlfirend is badly recieved and the completely rejected by you family or friends? If you refuse to give up your girl, you really have little choice but to find new friends or avoid family. In Al's case his chosen one has a infectious desease and NOBODY wants her near them. Not sure he recovers from finding out it is not just spoiled Miami fans, but that his mommy, PSU, hates his girlfriend too.

Advertisement
LOL, you guys realize this entire article was written by some guy from a board just like this one, and the sources he cites, are boards just like this one. There is absolutely nothing ground breaking in that article that hasnt been discussed on here 100 times, and most of what he is talking about, he's gotten off of message boards just like this, probably to include this one specifically.

just because it isn't original does not mean it isnt worthwhile.

he took a lot of information and thoughts, compiled them, and expressed it logically in one piece.

i'm sure some rather read his few paragraphs than spend hours scanning through threads and coming to similar conclusions themselves.

Good points throughout. However he makes it seem as if Golden has given up on the program. While I agree he may have lost the lust he had, he must prove himself as a winner here if he wants a job elsewhere. That starts by getting back at it on the recruiting trail. I do not believe for one second he has not reached out to Valentine.

You get one call per week. It's not unregulated.

Advertisement

Dead period does not mean there is no contact. It just means there is no face-to-face contact. Coaches can still call recruits and recruits can initiate contact with coaches at will.

What's funny is how you try so hard to detract anything that is critical of Guldens.

"His handling of Penn State irritated me more than it did most and I was already having my reservations regarding Golden. James Franklin will go to the NFL the fist chance he gets. That could be in a year, two years, who knows? Will we have to deal with this again? Al Golden is the head coach of the University of Miami football program, but I don't know how committed he is to us. His last public statements were insincere and he looked and sounded like he would rather be anywhere but in Miami. I hope he finishes strong like he usually does on the recruiting trail and I hope he is the guy to bring us more championships, but the fallout from his recent actions is far from settled. In one fell swoop, the team, the recruits, the administration, and the fans lost respect for him and it could have been much better had he actually gotten the job offer he clearly wanted."

FIFY

Advertisement

What's funny is how you try so hard to detract anything that is critical of Guldens.

Distract how? I didnt give any judgement on the article's merits or what it said. People were gushing about the incredible insight of this, and I simply pointed out its no different than having someone like Aziz write a synposis of the general sentiment on these boards, and using this board as his "sources" for the insight.

I didnt find the piece to say anything new or insightful beyond what has been rehashed on these boards for weeks now, and much of it I think is assumption and conjecture.

Dead Period:
The college coach cannot make in-person contact with you or your legal guardians. This prevents the coach from making any evaluations of you whatsoever. However, the coach can make telephone calls to you or your legal guardians.

If not for him doing that, how would the Board be balanced from all the people who do the exact opposite?

There are a handful of people on here driving down a two-way street.

The rest are either backed up in traffic on the get Golden Out of Here Expressway or plodding through the speed bumps along with C4L on the Golden Defense Causeway - both one-way streets picking through everything written, said or heard to defend their position.

VERY INTERESTING READ...

From another site and good read:

Kevin Bell posted 1 day ago Contributor

I have no blame for Golden as far as Cook is concerned. He did everything he could to swing him. It's just a shame that we lose out on another one of the, "Legends," of the sport down in Miami. As far as Treon Harris is concerned, that is inexcusable. I'm never one to second guess the staff's evaluations, especially Coley's, but I've seen Harris's tape and he is miles better than Alin Edouard and particularly Malk Rosier. If you are going to take 2 dual -threat QB's, I don't understand passing on the QB for the best team in the country in your own backyard and is considered legend there for some nobody recruit from Alabama. After Edouard decommitted, offering Harris at QB should have been a no brainer but instead the staff decided to offer him two days ago which is perceived as an insult. It would have been a perfect jolt for local recruiting and would have helped with our perception. At this point, the fact that Florida State offered him at QB is a good enough reason for us to do so as well, even if he ends up playing a different position in college.

Another issue concerning the state of recruiting is the conclusion of the Brandon Powell confusion. I don't know how Florida can come in the 11th hour one, offer Powell, an Early Enrollee, flip his commitment, and then get him to enroll the day after that. How that can possibly occur is beyond me.

What Butch did is far worse than what Golden did, but as you have said Chris, winning cures all. The question as to whether Golden can translate to wins is up in the air while Butch is perceived as guaranteed wins and with this uncertainty and lack of visible improvement on the field, that's why the fan base is so quick to beg for Butch to return. All of his past transgressions are willing to be forgotten since we needs wins and he can allegedly provide them. While Butch literally lied his way out the door, the perception is that Golden was about to do the same thing without so much as a phone call to the school president if he had actually been offered the Penn State job. He did have a bad week, but that bad week just opened ourselves up to more negative recruiting that we had just moved on from.

Yes we did go 9-4. Yes we are an entitled fan base. But to the recruits that watched the games this year, they don't feel sold on the product being put on the field. Auburn was coming off a 2-10 record and a head coaching change. Their expectations were much lower than ours, but just as realistic in their validity. Taking a miracle to beat Georgia and another miracle to be #1 two time defending champion and hated rival Alabama on the way to the national championship game is overachieving against stellar competition and very different from our underachieving against mediocre competition and eking out wins versus Wake, North Carolina, and Georgia Tech. While Malzahn inherited outstanding talent leftover from the Chizik era, this illustrates what lengths good coaching can take a team. Furthermore, Auburn was still able to beat the teams they were supposed to beat comfortably.

As far as you, "that's football," arguments, we are going to an area of, "what if." If Duke doesn't go down, I have no reason to believe that our record is any different than what it finished as. We were not going to beat Florida State that day if Jesus lined up on defense for us. The Virginia Tech loss was tied to the special team miscues, but that did not cause the defense to give up 42 points to a team who had the very average Logan Thomas look like a legend that day while the most VT would score against another D1 team that year was 29 in triple overtime against Marshall. In the Duke game, while this Duke was not the lovable pushover that we are used, 30 total points, 23 from the offense, should have been more than enough to beat Duke. This shows what good coaching and development can reap. For all the issues the NCAA caused us, we got much better recruits than Duke did and we got embarrassed by 18 points and gave up 48. Even having our Duke would not have changed the game's final outcome.

In regards to the NCAA issue being over, I admitted in another article on this website that it did poison this class to a certain degree and that's why we are missing on the 5 star Cooks and Sonys of the world. But we are in a good enough position that this dark past problem is not bothering us with middle tier recruits. I'm not expecting the conclusion of the NCAA saga to bring all the 2014 recruits running into our arms, but when it first happened we did see massive renewed interest and we used this interest effectively. The recent performance of the team and the confusion and alleged fraud on Golden's part is what has really thrown a kink in our recruiting.

We will be playing catch up with other schools for the younger recruits, but we have seasons coming up to almost instantly close the gap. Our 2015 has only one recruit, Charles Perry, who's tape screams future stud. But one recruit at this point is a problem. We should be somewhere in the 5-7 range this late in the game. On the flip side, our 2016 class has two recruits, better than most schools at this point, in Mark Walton and Chauncey Gardner who also show immense promise. Going 10-3 and winning the Coastal, a very realistic and fair expectation, would effectively remove the NCAA stain from all future classes and render the slightly developed relationships with other schools at that point miniscule and nearly moot.

In December when we had the 30 commits, I would have fully agreed with you. We are down to 26 recruits and usually we would have heard about high level recruits we in the running for at this point. Other than J. C. Jackson, I can't think of one. Golden's lack of his usual enthusiasm scares me in that he first missed on the job he truly wanted and now recruits cooled off on him due to his perceived lying. When he has closed strong the last 3 years, he's had a vigor about him and rumors about these supposed flips had been floating around. I'm not hearing any of that at this point and that is concerning.

I've been following the Valentine story closely and according to a well respected Hurricane website, as of January 9, 2013, Golden has not contacted Valentine at all and LSU has been straight blowing up his phone. It is concerning and I don't want to act like the sky is falling, but it is definitely teetering at this point. If he does recommit, it was a whole lot of fear for nothing and we will have dodged a major bullet and gotten arguably our most important recruit and. He will be a starter from Day One and that is apparent to anyone that has watched him. He was far and away the best player at the U. S. Army Bowl two weekends ago and he absolutely dominated top notch competition.

My, "should," comment was based on what I was hearing back when the class was 30 recruits. There were was word that the class was stellar and that just one or two more 4 star pieces were going to be added. At that time, Jackson was considered a heavy Miami lean but that changed the day after the Louisville game and when Florida State was Pasadena bound. My panic meter for the class is at a 4 right now simply because we are losing commits, some of the current commits are rumored to be on flimsy ground, and I haven't heard chatter of adding any names at this point in the game and that is not a good sign.

The recruiting class may not be exclusively the assistants, but they are easily the MVPs at this point with Golden's credibility and sincerity being called into question. Coley has earned his $500,000 salary and then some based exclusively on his recruiting accomplishments this season alone. Yearby, Kaaya, Smith (one of my favorite recruits this cycle. Very underrated.), Gray, Mayes, Rosier Thomas, Brady, and Jackson are all due to Coley. Darling, Owens, Herndon, McCray, and Young are all due Barrow. Harris and is due to Brown and he has been the secondary recruiter for many of the other commits. Something that is very telling is that all of these recruits and some of the ones I didn't name here Tweeted or somehow affirmed their dedication to Miami, not Golden, when he disappeared. If I took any positive out of this fiasco, it was that these young men are committed to the school, not the coach. He is just the icing on the cake to help pull them and to convince their parents to trust him with their son. As of right now, that strength of Golden is wounded severely right now. It is not beyond repair nor will it hamper him should the team meet expectations next year, but if they disappoint and frustrate again next year, but not to the point of getting Golden fired, like they did this year, this issue will stick with him and come back to nag him as he tries to pull in the 2015 class and the cycle may continue for the foreseeable future classes. It may be one week, but it put his credibility on the line to a certain extent and we were just getting back to full strength recruiting.

Golden was and is a phenomenal recruiter. I don't think the fire has been lost, but it has dimmed a little bit. He has yet to show his typical Golden energy that I admired in him. When the dead period is over, I'll be very curious to see how much direct recruiting he performs himself and if that fire that we love in him is back. But I will say this and this is my own personal opinion. He was a great recruiter at Temple, Boston College, Virginia, and Penn State. A big reason for that is he related to and identified with the high school talent in that area. He was pulling essentially whatever top recruits from the Northeast that he wanted. I think he still has a disconnect with the city of Miami, the community of Miami, and Miami football. He has done well recruiting due to having the correct assistants in place, fostering growing relationships with high school coaches, selling himself to parents, and his relentlessness. That will only go so far when it comes to getting the highest level local recruits. It's his X's and O's that will eventually hold him back. He runs a 3-4, 2 gap defense. Miami college and high school football is 4-3, 1 gap based. He approves of an enormous cushion to wide receivers. Miami college and high school football is very aggressive bump-and-run coverage. The offense is very reminiscent of old school Miami other than the zone blocking scheme. But if Golden expects to sell defensive recruits on a system they have never played in and aren't comfortable with than he is fooling himself. Watching Louisville act and play the way Miami should was the low point of the season as far as I'm concerned. They were showcasing the tough swagger that we are lacking and the word is starting to spread that Golden and Shalala are trying to curtail that attitude. If that happens, we will be consistently shooting ourselves in the foot. We brag and he brags about the school's championships achievements in football. We brag about the swagger of the team. He doesn't and if he has, he does not translate it into the team's on field attitude. The administration is probably thrilled with this, but it will poison our recruiting base and recruits, especially elite ones, will continue to leave in droves, now heading more and more to Florida State. How often do we see players for a different school put up the 305 while playing us? The University of Miami, for better or worse, is not identified with Miami city brand football anymore and it is a problem that may become a full blown cancer if this culture change isn't reversed. Seeing the kicker for Louisville punk Artie Burns and look to have more Miami attitude in him than our players do made me genuinely physically ill. This is one area I do not have faith in Golden. He may very well return us to our championship ways, but he will do it his way with his Penn State ideals, not Miami ideals.

His handling of Penn State irritated me more than it did most and I was already having my reservations regarding Golden. James Franklin will go to the NFL the fist chance he gets. That could be in a year, two years, who knows? Will we have to deal with this again? Al Golden is the head coach of the University of Miami football program, but I don't know how committed he is to us. His last public statements were insincere and he looked and sounded like he would rather be anywhere but in Miami. I hope he finishes strong like he usually does on the recruiting trail and I hope he is the guy to bring us more championships, but the fallout from his recent actions is far from settled. In one fell swoop, the team, the recruits, the administration, and the fans lost respect for him and it could have been much worse had he actually gotten the job offer he clearly wanted.

I wrote this. I'm Kevin Bell and I don't know if this will confirm to anybody that I'm telling the truth, but my Facebook name is Kevin SatisfactionGuaranteed Bell rather than just Kevin Bell. I wrote that mini-essay as a response to a bleacherreport.com article by Chris Bello and the well respected website I was referring to was this one. I would have referenced it by name, but I did that once previously and got a warning e-mail from bleacherreport telling me not to do that again.

My claim that Miami had not been in contact with Valentine was based off of what Pete had said, so if that is now inaccurate and outdated information, I apologize. Also scanning the LSU boards they were stating that they had been in contact with Valentine by phone more than only once per week. If that is against the rules and therefore also false, I'm sorry I posted fake information.

To the people who think this was insightful in some way, I appreciate that. I was writing from my opinion and based on all the information that the media and websites like this had provided. If I represented your views in a way that you guys feel accurately portrays your opinion, I'm happy I did so.

@CANE4LIFE: I did write this based off of what other sources had said so I don't have any sources of my own. If I didn't have the media to feed me information, I wouldn't have any evidence to make an educated opinion in the first place and would just be making random statements and speculations. While what I said was just rephrasing and rehashing what had already been said multiple times by multiple people, a lot of people here seem to be satisfied with the way I presented, structured, phrased, and explained it. People have strong passions, both positive and negative, about the current state and direction of the program and I thought by trying to be logical, levelheaded, and articulate, even people that disagree with me, evidently like yourself, would at least be able to nitpick and argue what points they liked and disliked. I was pretty happy with how it summarized recent events with the team and thought it was fair, easy to read, and helpful to others. If the fact that I didn't have my own breaking news sources to base it off of and that I did pull heavily from actual media outlets makes it's a fraudulent series of statements, you're missing the point of why I wrote. I'm just a fan attempting to organize and make sense of some recent upheaval and turbulence with the team.

@edge: I agree with you that he has lost SOME of the luster he had for the program. But he I don't think he needs to win here to get another job somewhere else. Larry Coker coaches a D1 team. I know he won a national championship and has an impressive resume but I think we would agree that that is somewhat misleading. Randy Shannon coaches linebackers for Arkansas despite also having a weak resume. Golden may have been trying to get his dream job while his stock is still high and for the rare chance that the position was open. I can't blame him for that, but I can blame him for the way that he did it. Up until now, he didn't need to win here to get a job elsewhere because he had done well enough here through all the NCAA issues and average talent he had to use. But the upcoming year, all excuses are spent and if he doesn't win like he is expected to, I agree with you completely that his future job searches will be affected by it. Recruiting wise, I based my Valentine statement on Pete's article. If he said that Golden hadn't talked to Valentine yet, then I believe Pete. With other recruits, it seems are only remaining likely recruits are Lennius, Valentine, and Njokou. As far as I personally define it, that is not closing strong. Valentine is a stud, but I think that other two are too fresh to make a fair evaluation and I certainly wouldn't classify them as elite.

@CANE4LIFE: I'm not claiming to be insightful at all. My essay here is a recap of trustworthy board material, media reporters, and my own personal opinion as a fan. One thing I do feel confident about is that I took a pretty fair and middle road of thought and tried to speak for some other fans including myself. A lot of the comments on this thread make it seem like I did a fairly accurate job of doing so. As far as assumption and conjecture, a lot of the material is but I made a point to try and distinguish it as my opinion and my interpretation of recent events. My Treon Harris vs. Malik Rosier vs. Alin Edouard is just a player preference debate and my evaluations as somebody that enjoys football. My points about Powell, Butch vs. Golden, Auburn's season vs. our season, how the season would have finished with a healthy Duke, my appraisal of the current and future recruiting classes, and my editorial about Golden's relationship with Miami and flirtation with Penn State are all my opinion that may be shared with other fans on this board, apparently you not being one of them, but I took the time to make my claims and I tried to support them with sound logic, fair reasoning, and information from this website rather to leave them unsubstantiated and empty. If you differ with my opinion and the arguments behind them, that's your opinion as well. Feel free to comment and explain why if you like. This board is supposed to be a forum for football debates. I'd like to hear why you think Rosier is a better option than Harris.

To theibisrules, Dingaan1828, butchs'revenge, BosCane, OBLIVION, and edge, I genuinely appreciate the compliments. I tried really hard to give a solid recap of recent storylines mixed withy my opinion while trying to remain objective. I hope I generally represented your views they way you wanted them represented.

Advertisement
Back