Thinking outside of the box for next LB coach and maybe DC

Advertisement
Advertisement
C8C4C700-70EA-41C7-A1D2-E9A5E86EB7BB.jpeg

Travis WILLIAMS.....LB’s coach a good fit

I was trying to think of up and coming coaches for the D. What do you guys think of going after someone like Steve Belichick to come in as our DC? He is a position coach who calls the plays, so not sure if this would be considered a step down.

Those Belichek’s are known for their cheery dispositions and knack for recruiting...sign him up!!!

Go Canes!

HC plus ten assistant coaches

• OC/QB coach Rhett Lashlee
  • RB coach Eric Hickson
  • WR coach Rob Likens
  • TE coach Stephen Field
  • OL coach Garin Justice
  • DC/LB coach
  • DL coach/Associate Head Coach Jess Simpson
  • Striker coach/ST coordinator Jonathan Patke
  • DB coach Travaris Robinson
  • CB coach DeMarcus Van Dyke

My recommendation: Diaz takes over as ST coach (lots of HCs keep that for themselves), and moves Patke to an analyst role. Patke isn't much of a recruiter anyways so you don't lose anything in the transaction. That frees up two jobs. Miami can then hire a full time DC and a LB coach (Williams).

Advertisement

• RB coach Eric Hickson
  • WR coach Rob Likens
  • TE coach Stephen Field
  • OL coach Garin Justice
  • DC/LB coach

My recommendation: Diaz takes over as ST coach (lots of HCs keep that for themselves), and moves Patke to an analyst role. Patke isn't much of a recruiter anyways so you don't lose anything in the transaction. That frees up two jobs. Miami can then hire a full time DC and a LB coach (Williams).
Sounds nice but there’s 0 chance manny demotes patke

I was trying to think of up and coming coaches for the D. What do you guys think of going after someone like Steve Belichick to come in as our DC? He is a position coach who calls the plays, so not sure if this would be considered a step down.
I’m upvoting you for finally posting after 9 years. You took a big step today @U_SWAG
👀

• RB coach Eric Hickson
  • WR coach Rob Likens
  • TE coach Stephen Field
  • OL coach Garin Justice
  • DC/LB coach

Patke got a raise, he ain’t getting demoted anytime soon.

Advertisement

• RB coach Eric Hickson
  • WR coach Rob Likens
  • TE coach Stephen Field
  • OL coach Garin Justice
  • DC/LB coach

Or......Manny makes Patke LB/ST coach and he hires a DC that specializes in LB coaching. This way said DC can groom Patke to do what he did with our STR at LB. It would be similar to what CMD did with TRob coaching our secondary and DVD as his assistant. I wouldn't be opposed to this as long as the DC is the real deal.

However, this isn't what I think what will happen. My $$$ is on CMD calling up TWill (if he's still available which I haven't seen that he wasn't) and slotting him as our LB coach and CMD is HC/DC for 1 season. Meanwhile guys like TRob and/or Simpson receive Co-DC titles and a bump in pay. Only problem with this is if it happens this way it will pretty much stay this way because we would be out of coaching spots for one and two we'd have to basically demote TRob/Simpson if you bring in a DC.

I'm very interested to see how Manny handles this.

Patke got a raise, he ain’t getting demoted anytime soon.

The way you can take the sting out of a demotion is with a big raise. Moving Patke to an analyst job aligns him with his skill set. He's not a great recruiter or technician, but the board experts say he's a really good Xs and Os guy. Anyways, I think there is a difference between getting Blake Bakered where you get stripped of duties and have to wear a dunce cap, and moving Patke to an analyst job to free up a slot for a better recruiter/technician (winning in CFB is more about players than scheme). People around CFB arent going to see moving Patke to an analyst role as an indictment of his abilities as coach, but rather it being a shrewd move by Diaz to get as many recruiters as he can on staff.

What are the chances Trob moves to DC/DB coach and we then bring in a lb coach, I can see that as a possible reason Trob came onboard while Baker was able to find another opportunity.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back