Things I want to see in the next HC (SIAP)

ghost2

Retired staff
Premium
Here is a list of qualities/factors that I would like to see in the next head coach at the University of Miami:

1) Ambition. This job is all about next-level thinking/coaching. I don't want the next JoPa, I want the next Jimmy Johnson. Right the ship, win games, take your talents to the NFL after 5-6 years. Rinse/repeat.

2) Visible, successful coaching philosophy. I think the next coach should be an offensive-minded coach, but even if not - we need to be able to say "that guy runs this kind of team AND HAS HAD MEASURABLE SUCCESS DOING SO." No more "multiple" = "scatterbrained." I don't even care if it's spread-option or wing-T, 3-4 or 4-3, just have a demonstrably successful track record running your show before bringing it here.

3) Understands Miami. This doesn't necessarily mean hiring a "Miami Guy" or ex-coach. Rather, the new hire needs to come in with a certain understanding. South Florida high school football is a gold mine, but it's not for the faint of heart. It can be toxic, dirty even. Coach needs to be able to navigate handlers, street agents, palm-up parents, not to mention University admissions and NCAA watchdogs in order to keep our stud athletes home. Additionally, the new coach needs to understand the true culture behind "The U." "The U" isn't a brand, it's not a logo or a hand signal or a T-shirt. "The U" is a family of the baddest, hardest-working, come-from-nothing-est, put-the-guy-in-front-of-you-on-the-farking-ground-iest men on the planet. Tap the local resources, rally the former players, and embrace the hate. That's how you keep kids home.

4) Resources to hire a great staff. I realize this one may be out of the coach's control (or not), but in addition to whatever we pay our next head man we have to SERIOUSLY upgrade our commitment to his assistants. If we pay our next HC between $3-4 million (we should), we also need to pony up for staff members that will be head coaches in their own right in 5 years (see #1 above.)

These are my thoughts on what is needed. Feel free to add your own!

Advertisement
Definitely want the next guy to be defense first. In CFB today, if you have an elite defense you will win many games. SoFla athletes will also be able to score points but all the great Miami teams have had great defenses. Bama hasn't had a great offense but has won consistently because of its D.

Advertisement
Back