Rumor They Are Making Noise About A "Ruiz Rule"

You must really hate UM. You defended the corch that was single-handedly destroying our program, until the very end. Now you can't stop talking schit about the guy that is doing more for our football program than anyone since Howard.

“Can’t stop “

Lmao.

Advertisement
I don’t think there’s any university, even including lowly rated academic institutions like LSU or Alabama, that spend more on athletics than they do on academics.

Of course that depends on how you define “spending on academics“, but most universities, even the ones mentioned, have infrastructure, logistics, upkeep, etc. that is going to be weighted heavily towards academics because of size alone . Just think of professor salaries, both tenured and nontenured, and all the other salaries, including administrative. I think in salaries alone they probably spend more than what’s spent on athletics.

Wouldn’t you think @OriginalGatorHater?

I don’t think there’s any university, even including lowly rated academic institutions like LSU or Alabama, that spend more on athletics than they do on academics.

Of course that depends on how you define “spending on academics“, but most universities, even the ones mentioned, have infrastructure, logistics, upkeep, etc. that is going to be weighted heavily towards academics because of size alone . Just think of professor salaries, both tenured and nontenured, and all the other salaries, including administrative. I think in salaries alone they probably spend more than what’s spent on athletics.

Wouldn’t you think @OriginalGatorHater?
That was my line of thinking as well. I can't imagine, even a school like Bama spending nearly as much on their athletics programs as they spend on academics. Salaries is a great example. Not only because the sheer volume of professors they have on campus, but some of those highly sought after professors are getting paid pretty sizeable salaries. Not to mention all the benefits they have to pay for these employees. Then as you mentioned there is a lot money being spent on libraries, classrooms, research(IIRC Miami spent 400m on research alone last year). also, I know Miami gives more academic schollys than athletic ones(and its by a good margin). I could only assume the giant state schools with 50k+ kids have an even larger ratio than a small private school like Miami.

Advertisement
I have done 0 research on this, so I am asking, not arguing. Are there any schools that actually spend more money on their athletics program than academics?
Kinda a loaded question. I think if the true line items and carve outs were discovered (they'll never be made known internally or externally) the answer could be surprising in some ways.

My guess is athletic spendings far exceeds department level spending at several major D1P5 Universities. Not necessarily a bad thing when compared to those departments of little/no value to society overall.

"Free education"?

LOL, scholarship players don't get a free education, they trade their talents for an education. If it was free, all non-athletes would be in school.

There's not one single rule that the NCAA has which is designed to benefit the "student athlete". Every NCAA rule places a burden on athletes that is not placed on other students, or takes away a right that other students have.

"Free education"...LMAO!!!
On top of that, when you say “free”, you really have to consider the fair market value of their services. With the amount of money the schools are making off the back of their labor, they are earning FAR below what their fair market value truly is. Remember, there are very few people in the world who possess the talent of a five star qb.

Advertisement
Nooooo...(and where did I ever do that previously?)...

I am using references (organized crime movies and shows) because that's what some of our posters seem to be able to comprehend. I've made numerous prior references to being more quiet AS THE CEO OF A PUBLICLY-TRADED COMPANY, but that just seems to fly over certain people's heads.

And most importantly, you seem to be one of those people incapable of differentiating between different types of publicity. I'm just waiting for you to quote "there's no such thing as bad press" or some other brilliant insight.

The "publicity" that he is paying for is 111 athletes to endorse and advertise for his company. I have no problems with him using his personal Twitter account to mock UM's rivals. But this is the TYPICAL challenge faced by companies that are founded by, and run by, one particular individual. That person often finds it hard to separate the business side from the personal side. John Ruiz would not be the first to struggle with drawing lines where lines were not needed when he was just one guy with his own law firm.

But that's no longer the situation. It's time to stop making excuses ("but, but, but, it's publicity, AND THAT'S THE POINT") and move into a more responsible style of running a business that may soon be valued between 30 billion and 40 billion.
To be fair, Elon musk is one of the loudest voices on Twitter and it has benefitted his company greatly. There’s no right way to run a corporation. Ruiz is going the musk pathway if speaking freely to the masses.

You just keep smoking whatever you are smoking. The NCAA can absolutely do certain things. I've warned about this from the very beginning, but I gave up with all the "Hey man, we're streaking, and the NCAA can't do anything about NIL" bros.

The booster rules are still around. The NCAA is trying to figure out how to surgically wield those rules in the new NIL world. Thus, the VALUE to Ruiz ducking behind his publicly-traded company and letting all of the bullets miss him.

Again, Ruiz needs to start acting more like Dr. Pepper and worry less about picking fights with Gaytor Collective and Flaccid Spear.
If the university takes any action asking Ruiz to chill, it establishes a true relationship between life Wallet and the u. There is no relationship and this is an important legal distinction. Ruiz is not
Then why hasn’t anyone told him to quiet down? I’m pretty sure, Ruiz and the University are aware of the rules and where the lines are. NCAA may have “the power” but good luck justifying any sort of punishments when the law is not on your side. This is the same NCAA which ruined a full blown investigation with Shapiro scandal and had to minimize any serious punishments.

For the record, I smoke good ****, too.
to be fair, if the university tells him to quiet down then that establishes a link between the two institutions. As is, life wallet is acting independent of the university.

If the university takes any action asking Ruiz to chill, it establishes a true relationship between life Wallet and the u. There is no relationship and this is an important legal distinction. Ruiz is not

to be fair, if the university tells him to quiet down then that establishes a link between the two institutions. As is, life wallet is acting independent of the university.
And technically that is lack of institutional control and even worse when boosters are involved.

Ruiz is on record saying he speaks with UM compliance several times a week

Advertisement
Not just any member of the 12-0 crowd, but the founding member and head clown in charge of the 12-0 crowd.
Spy Spying GIF

A139E48C-F014-463F-8810-198C7D3819BE.gif

Kinda a loaded question. I think if the true line items and carve outs were discovered (they'll never be made known internally or externally) the answer could be surprising in some ways.

My guess is athletic spendings far exceeds department level spending at several major D1P5 Universities. Not necessarily a bad thing when compared to those departments of little/no value to society overall.
This. I wanted to do some quick digging, and even that is still barebones as all ****, save for some minimally detailed graphs. This is the closest thing I've found so far, buuuut its a tad 🤏 outdated at this point.

Screenshot_20220508-103816_Chrome.jpg

But then I came across this too, I'll use 2020 for example since I couldn't find an academic budget in 2021 to match with athletics.
Screenshot_20220508-110645_Chrome.jpg

Seems like a no right or wrong argument in a way, because yes, this shows that academic budgets are astronomically high in comparison. BUT (for the sake of being able to coincide with the first picture), if you look at it at a "per student/athlete" basis of spending, there's a giant gap
(800.75m/31670 @ 25.28k & 173.14m/647 @267.k)

(and another eye opener was that Alabama football's budget was roughly 58 million out of that 173,000,000 between 21 teams in 2020)

Certainly a very interesting, if not in a way, convoluted topic..depending on how it's to be interpreted.

This. I wanted to do some quick digging, and even that is still barebones as all ****, save for some minimally detailed graphs. This is the closest thing I've found so far, buuuut its a tad 🤏 outdated at this point.

View attachment 185316
But then I came across this too, I'll use 2020 for example since I couldn't find an academic budget in 2021 to match with athletics.
View attachment 185319
Seems like a no right or wrong argument in a way, because yes, this shows that academic budgets are astronomically high in comparison. BUT (for the sake of being able to coincide with the first picture), if you look at it at a "per student/athlete" basis of spending, there's a giant gap
(800.75m/31670 @ 25.28k & 173.14m/647 @267.k)

(and another eye opener was that Alabama football's budget was roughly 58 million out of that 173,000,000 between 21 teams in 2020)

Certainly a very interesting, if not in a way, convoluted topic..depending on how it's to be interpreted.
Good stuff!

Of course this topic is 100% predicated on "how the salami is sliced".

Advertisement
The ncaa and ADS think they know what's best for the student athletes, when in reality, all they care about is their respective institution.

They're worried about:

1. Decreased contributions to the school due to money going to NIL
2. Inflation of cost to acquire players they were once capable of attaining for cheap
3. Certain schools are worried about their student athletes leaving for bigger and better opportunities
4. Simply put; loss of power

As long as their witch hunt matches what they think is right, who cares. There will be schools that get ****ed by these investigations and will have to wait years for the litigation to resolve and the NCAA to dissolve. By that time, osu and the Bama of the world will be even further out ahead.

Point blank, this inducement **** is stupid. These kids will know who's paying and if they aren't getting paid, they will continue to transfer.
It's all about nobody actually wants to be in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, so the game needs to be tilted to not let guys go elsewhere.

True buuuuuuuuuut I am certain the Ruiz family would listen to his kids uncle (Mario) or peers if this was becoming a problem. The university doesn’t **** around with this **** despite the public perception.

Advertisement
Back