Rumor They Are Making Noise About A "Ruiz Rule"

Yeah, the whole thing was a big surprise to me. I was so happy thinking about the spring game tickets. I was gonna be able to be on the field and meet the players and coaches. Then the booster stuff shows up in the mail and I can't take the one person I wanted to go with me. I was happy with Miami tho, they let me give the tickets to another guy who was able to take his son.. because he wasn't high school age.
Side note: Son runs track now, 110 HH and 400 hurdles. Went to his meet last night and watched a kid break the state record in the 110 high hurdles. It's pretty cool to watch a kid just ******* destroy the field (including my boy :(). I swear it seemed like that kid won by 20 yards over the next closest guy. So smooth.

Pretty certain that those kinds of rules do not apply to family members and longtime family friends. I know about someone who spent a half-day in the UM Compliance office getting grilled about an issue, and you can definitely push back.

I'm not saying the rules don't say certain words, but there are also clear exceptions.

Advertisement
They may have not ruled on NIL, and the NCAA can probably make, and enforce existing rules regarding NIL, but Kavanaugh did have some scathing, blistering words for the NCAA that's making them tread very, verrrrrry lightly. Kavanaugh basically said that the NCAA has been a criminal organization for very, verrrrrry long time:

"Justice Kavanaugh concurred to note that the NCAA’s remaining rules restricting non-education-related compensation, challenged in the district court but not appealed in the Supreme Court, raised serious antitrust questions as well. Justice Kavanaugh emphasized three points: that the Supreme Court’s decision did not consider the legality of the non-education-related compensation rules, that the Court’s decision established that these rules would be analyzed under the rule of reason test, and that the Court’s decision raised serious questions about the legality of the remaining restraints under the rule of reason test. In challenging the NCAA’s argument that maintaining compensation restrictions is necessary to distinguish college athletics from professional athletics, Justice Kavanaugh stated: “Businesses like the NCAA cannot avoid the consequences of price-fixing labor by incorporating price-fixed labor into the definition of the product." Although Justice Kavanaugh did suggest that the NCAA could protect itself from future judicial scrutiny by engaging in collective bargaining with student athletes he also flatly concluded that “nowhere else in America can businesses get away with agreeing not to pay their workers a fair market rate on the theory that their product is defined by not paying their workers a fair market rate. . . . The NCAA is not above the law.”

The Alston ruling was 9-0. Kavanagh had a concurring opinion, which nobody else on the Court joined. I realize that the non-attorneys may not get the significance of that, but it is incredibly rare. Basically, Kavanagh wanted to pull out his ***** and make everyone look at it. Read the room, guy, you just won the game 9-0, there's no reason to rave on when nobody else is willing to join you.

Kavanagh's extra dicta are just his words, nobody else's. Unless you think there are going to be 4 more Kavanagh clones appointed to the Court, his words don't mean anything important at this time.

The ruling, the one that 9 people agreed on, was narrow and gave a roadmap as to what was permissible and impermissible. The NCAA's lawyers need to sharpen their pencils and tailor new rules that will allow various forms of compensation (both directly provided by schools and indirectly provided via NIL), while continuing their decades-long quest to limit the interference of boosters.

And to be clear, this has nothing to do with my personal opinions, I'm fine with academic achievement awards, I'm fine with NIL. But the NCAA and some member institutions are signaling an intent to enact new guidelines, and I am suggesting that they will need to be surgical if they want to avoid being overruled in some future court case.

As for "I like beer", if anyone is scared and bases their responsive behaviors on the rantings of one concurring judge in an otherwise unanimous decision, then they should retire and get out of the business (whatever that business may be) immediately.

Pretty certain that those kinds of rules do not apply to family members and longtime family friends. I know about someone who spent a half-day in the UM Compliance office getting grilled about an issue, and you can definitely push back.

I'm not saying the rules don't say certain words, but there are also clear exceptions.
It's been a couple years so I may have some brain fog here but I'm pretty sure I called and asked about it and was told no even tho my son wasn't actually in high school yet. *****ing about it to the dude is what got him to at least let me give the tickets away. I may have been talking to a stiff lackey and not a reasonable manager type but that's how I remember it.
My style of push back is I take my son and his friends to games with no ***** given. I don't steer them to Miami or any of that, and to be honest I seriously doubt any of them will be playing D1 sports if they move up...maybe one of them but that might be a mild reach.
I've taken the group to the last two games at the urinal y challenged stadium in north Florida. When we walk from the civic center to the game they all walk with their tongues hanging. Half way there everyone of them proclaims they're going to fsu for college.. and then here's me.-

5040f3c7b5d545d85e0621194ff92439.gif

It's been a couple years so I may have some brain fog here but I'm pretty sure I called and asked about it and was told no even tho my son wasn't actually in high school yet. *****ing about it to the dude is what got him to at least let me give the tickets away. I may have been talking to a stiff lackey and not a reasonable manager type but that's how I remember it.
My style of push back is I take my son and his friends to games with no ***** given. I don't steer them to Miami or any of that, and to be honest I seriously doubt any of them will be playing D1 sports if they move up...maybe one of them but that might be a mild reach.
I've taken the group to the last two games at the urinal y challenged stadium in north Florida. When we walk from the civic center to the game they all walk with their tongues hanging. Half way there everyone of them proclaims they're going to fsu for college.. and then here's me.-

5040f3c7b5d545d85e0621194ff92439.gif

It's all good, my man, I wasn't trying to criticize, just to shine some extra light. Sorry that you went through this.

If it was a couple of years ago, it was Beta Blake and his incompetent hirees. I, too, qualify as a booster, and I would be willing to bet BIG money (and I hate gambling, I never do it) that it was just some slapd!ck guy on the phone reading straight off of the "Little Book of Big Boosters" checklist. And for the record, I've argued with our Athletic Department many times over the years, including last year when I forced them to switch my Green Lot parking to Orange, even though they were "sold out".

I wouldn't say any of this if I didn't know a bit about it. My niece was just applying to colleges (she's accepted now, she picked UF over UM), and she was a highly ranked cross country runner. I pulled the "recruited athlete" stuff from the UM website (she decided to just focus on academics), and I even called UM (Admissions, not Athletics, admittedly), and they that said there would be no problem if I brought her down to visit the campus. No violation.

Keep in mind, I was in President's 100 when I was an undergrad, I actually led those UM campus tours...

I told yall no matter how much money the Ruiz guy had to blow (legit or otherwise) doing it in such a public way was idiotic. Gonna have a potential seriously negative effect on the program just like Nevin did 10 years ago. I am all for doin it, NIL will work well, but do it in private or do not disclose the dollar amounts.

Red Velvet; Miami will always have a target on their back because of dumb gloat **** like this. Knowing this is a grey area that could get closed up any moment, I would have moved a bit more pragmatically, personally.
Like TAMU does? That kind of pragmatic approach?

Advertisement
I told yall no matter how much money the Ruiz guy had to blow (legit or otherwise) doing it in such a public way was idiotic. Gonna have a potential seriously negative effect on the program just like Nevin did 10 years ago. I am all for doin it, NIL will work well, but do it in private or do not disclose the dollar amounts.

Red Velvet; Miami will always have a target on their back because of dumb gloat **** like this. Knowing this is a grey area that could get closed up any moment, I would have moved a bit more pragmatically, personally.
Can you use an ounce of critical thinking more than Danny Kanell and stop regurgitating ESPN's faux outrage? Do you want us to be pragmatic like Tennessee who is paying $8m, A&M who bought a class for $25m, Texas who set up a fake charity, or USC with Addisson?

This will have to do for now.

That interception of Danny boy #13 is seared in his memory bank.
Nothing can dispel his humiliation.
Even a dumb *** trolling tweet that showed his ignorance.........trying to still get back at our U...
Dumb is as dumber does...

The site now censors a 4-letter word that starts with w and ends with d, which is a slang word for recently legalized smokable tobacco.

Go figure.

Now I have to go mow my lawn and pull some weeds...
Have some fun with it. Let me tell you all about my morning w**d.

Advertisement
It's all good, my man, I wasn't trying to criticize, just to shine some extra light. Sorry that you went through this.

If it was a couple of years ago, it was Beta Blake and his incompetent hirees. I, too, qualify as a booster, and I would be willing to bet BIG money (and I hate gambling, I never do it) that it was just some slapd!ck guy on the phone reading straight off of the "Little Book of Big Boosters" checklist. And for the record, I've argued with our Athletic Department many times over the years, including last year when I forced them to switch my Green Lot parking to Orange, even though they were "sold out".

I wouldn't say any of this if I didn't know a bit about it. My niece was just applying to colleges (she's accepted now, she picked UF over UM), and she was a highly ranked cross country runner. I pulled the "recruited athlete" stuff from the UM website (she decided to just focus on academics), and I even called UM (Admissions, not Athletics, admittedly), and they that said there would be no problem if I brought her down to visit the campus. No violation.

Keep in mind, I was in President's 100 when I was an undergrad, I actually led those UM campus tours...
Sounds like I got screwed just a little bit. oh well, it wouldn't have changed much. Preesh the info as always.

I'm probably the dumbest person in the world when it comes to stuff like this but even I am not stupid enough like Kanell to make an empty statement like that with no facts or research. LOL I swear, Dumb Danny and Jackass Joel Klatt have so much disdain for the Miami program. Just go sit down, man.

Who cares.... NCAA grows more toothless day by day. The courts will decide..
In the long run, I see CFB breaking away from NCAA oversight

Advertisement
Remember the gator game a few years back? I gave money to the student athlete fund so I could get tickets directly from UM and avoid the aftermarket price gouging. Doing that made me a booster. I gave them enough that I was given tickets to the spring game that year. What I didn't realize was that I was kinda ******** myself. Because I had become a booster I couldn't take a high school aged kid to the spring game. I wanted to take my son who had just graduated 8th grade. I couldn't take him and it didn't matter that he was my son. I gave the tickets away to a guy on the forum. Now when I take my son and his buddies who play high school baseball, football, and run track, with me to Miami games I'm in violation of ncaa booster rules because I'm taking them on my dime. Free trip for them from a booster is no bueno. I can only imagine how much money Ruiz has given to Miami over the years.
Pretty sure that you can take your son wherever you want regardless what the NCAA says. His friends could be a problem I guess. But then that’s also just if we actually recruit them anyways…

No. It is incredibly easy to become a booster. Plus I would imagine that John Ruiz has made contributions in prior years.

If you think that a millionaire alum with kids enrolled at Miami (at least two of whom were UM athletes) didn't get hit up for, and make, donations...then I'm not sure you know how a university operates.

On top of which, in prior years, our season tickets required a Hurricane Club contribution. UM mails me the "booster" brochure every year.

But, sure, if you think that John Ruiz has scrupulously avoided making any contributions to UM for decades, because he knew that in 2021 he would need to NOT be considered a UM "booster" for the NIL rules which had not yet been enacted, then I guess he had a time machine...or else he consulted with Miss Cleo...either way, he must be some kind of long-con genius to pull that off...
No I was geniuinly asking cause I think it dumb that just buying season tickets defines you as a booster for life. Just makes no sense and really shows why the NCAA is garbage.

Idc how Ruiz is acting on twitter, as long as he’s got **** operating correctly under the law, the NCAA can go **** themselves and try whatever they’re gunna try. It’ll just be the nail in their coffin

Advertisement
Name imagine and likeness I imagined was like these kids getting income from their Jersey being sold, being on a video game, etc. not actually being paid to pay. I don’t mind but it has opened a huge can of worms that no doubt will be amended.

No I was geniuinly asking cause I think it dumb that just buying season tickets defines you as a booster for life. Just makes no sense and really shows why the NCAA is garbage.

Idc how Ruiz is acting on twitter, as long as he’s got **** operating correctly under the law, the NCAA can go **** themselves and try whatever they’re gunna try. It’ll just be the nail in their coffin

Ok, fair enough. I know sometimes I give you a hard time because you are younger and haven't been around for as long to see all the challenges Miami has overcome (and in fairness, you haven't gotten to enjoy the highest of highs, like when we won 3 titles in my first 6 years at UM). And for the record, I got an MBA and JD, it wasn't all undergrad.

But, yes, it's soooo easy to be classified as a booster. I believe there was even a case years ago with Notre Dame (I think) where a SECRETARY in the Athletic Department was deemed to be a booster.

For years, for my section in the Orange Bowl, a Hurricane Club donation was REQUIRED. Boom. I'm done. I'm a booster for life. And I strongly suspect John Ruiz has done SOMETHING, from a big donation to a small required payment, that would put him in the booster category as well.

I do agree, John has studied the landscape and has not violated any rules. But his high profile has given the haters the ammunition to attack him. Now the NCAA wants to make RETROACTIVE rules? Setting aside the massive bullcrap that a move like that represents, we at least have to acknowledge the reality and logic...

...It is entirely POSSIBLE (no idea of whether it is probable) that the NCAA might legislate that some of John's actions are RETROACTIVE rules violations. And John can fight it. And I'd give him a fair chance of winning, but it will take a while.

But, yeah, once the NCAA fvckboys start making rules that convert past lawful behavior into retroactive violations, all bets are off.

1651802007081.png

Then you have this halfwit who denies partaking in NIL despite the fact that it is entirely legal.

Yep. $30 million got spent on...oh, god knows what?

Jimbo's also the guy who told us that Jameis was a nice guy who made a few mistakes...

I know that people don't always watch the videos, but please invest the 44 seconds to watch this documentary file footage of a young Jimbo Fisher:

Advertisement
Back