Rumor They Are Making Noise About A "Ruiz Rule"

There is a reason why no one has told him to chill. Fans are overly paranoid and do not understand the NCAA can’t do **** about it.

You just keep smoking whatever you are smoking. The NCAA can absolutely do certain things. I've warned about this from the very beginning, but I gave up with all the "Hey man, we're streaking, and the NCAA can't do anything about NIL" bros.

The booster rules are still around. The NCAA is trying to figure out how to surgically wield those rules in the new NIL world. Thus, the VALUE to Ruiz ducking behind his publicly-traded company and letting all of the bullets miss him.

Again, Ruiz needs to start acting more like Dr. Pepper and worry less about picking fights with Gaytor Collective and Flaccid Spear.

Advertisement
Danny out here getting murdered on Twitter.
stand by me jerry oconnell GIF
Screenshots please

I told yall no matter how much money the Ruiz guy had to blow (legit or otherwise) doing it in such a public way was idiotic. Gonna have a potential seriously negative effect on the program just like Nevin did 10 years ago. I am all for doin it, NIL will work well, but do it in private or do not disclose the dollar amounts.

Red Velvet; Miami will always have a target on their back because of dumb gloat **** like this. Knowing this is a grey area that could get closed up any moment, I would have moved a bit more pragmatically, personally.
This has got to be the most knee jerk place on the internet. Let it play out a lil. Sheesh

Advertisement
And again, I want to stress, I love and respect John Ruiz. He's new to being a "high profile" guy in both a publicly traded company and in big-time college sports (though he's accustomed to this as a trial lawyer).

I'm just suggesting...a smooth transition...into being a long-term power broker. There's a reason why Don Corleone spoke in code about what needed to be done. There's a reason why Tony Soprano let Uncle Junior be named the head of the family.
We call it the "paisan whisper". Hehe.
Actions can shout. Sometimes no help is needed.

He can shut up if everybody wants. But that life wallet money is gonna be screaming and popping up all over.

The potential for it to make even more money is just beginning. If this gets adopted by a major hospital system or insurance company it’s gonna be a ridiculous cash cow.

The law is very clear in Florida. Ruiz is following the statute to a T.

Collectives and c3’s created for the purpose of aggregating money to pay players to benefit a particular school are clearly in violation of the plain language of the law.

This is really simple yet people try to keep complicating it.
Great take. I really don’t understand why people are seemingly shook. To date, Ruiz has presumably done everything through his LifeWallet brand. Isn’t that the entire point of the NIL law? Can other things happen? Sure. Can Ruiz’s company going public alter the dynamic? Sure. But, what’s the current issue? People are scared because he’s brash? That’s not a violation of the law. Maybe it means he’ll slip, or maybe he’ll continue the process by using a top attorney in this specific area of law to structure the deals. I suspect the latter.

The NCAA had a chance over the last few years to right this ship and offer guidelines for how NIL would work. They chose to remain silent and now some $EC schools are getting mad at the competition they're getting out on the recruiting trail and all of a sudden they want to regulate things, GTFOH.
That's when the biiching and complaining started, compelling the NCAA to jump in.

Problem is - it's the Group Fund Raising that's the non-business that's in trouble. Those are not legit business arrangements - just fundraising to payoff recruits. (The SEC Model)

Advertisement
You just keep smoking whatever you are smoking. The NCAA can absolutely do certain things. I've warned about this from the very beginning, but I gave up with all the "Hey man, we're streaking, and the NCAA can't do anything about NIL" bros.

The booster rules are still around. The NCAA is trying to figure out how to surgically wield those rules in the new NIL world. Thus, the VALUE to Ruiz ducking behind his publicly-traded company and letting all of the bullets miss him.

Again, Ruiz needs to start acting more like Dr. Pepper and worry less about picking fights with Gaytor Collective and Flaccid Spear.
Then why hasn’t anyone told him to quiet down? I’m pretty sure, Ruiz and the University are aware of the rules and where the lines are. NCAA may have “the power” but good luck justifying any sort of punishments when the law is not on your side. This is the same NCAA which ruined a full blown investigation with Shapiro scandal and had to minimize any serious punishments.

For the record, I smoke good ****, too.

I haven’t closely followed the situation but I would say that we’ve been in the upper tier of shamelessly wielding this new, undefined sword. I don’t think it’s necessarily a bad thing, the laws have been fluid so it would be tough to violate them. But eventually there will be some kind of rules. The Ruiz thing makes me a little nervous long term, seems like having some third party egomaniac negotiating basically on behalf of our program with his own money is a new place to be. If he ever Decided to stop shelling out money, it would be a big blow, and as long as we need him it creates a dynamic I don’t love. We cant be the only school in some version of his situation now. I trust Mario isn’t asleep at the wheel at least and we have a compliance team looking at all of this stuff.

I think we all agree the kids should get paid. This is kinda the ****show period as the parameters and market sorts itself out. The money exploded for coaches, it should for players too. It is worth taking a step back and wondering how practical this kind of financial arms race is for State Universities in our country where the football coach makes 10 times what the president does, but here we are.
as I have said before, we have way more than just ruiz

ruiz just has the most money available, but if he dropped off the universe you still have multi-billionaires still around the program.

My friend, context is everything. The whole point is the NCAA & their agendas against us.
Sure but the NCAA isn't above the law. At the end of the day Ruiz is a far more difficult target than the rest of the pack. Could NCAA try to go after us? Yes - they could try to go after everyone for NIL. Doesn't mean it will have any impact. I'd argue from the NCAAs perspective it is far better to go after the easy cases than fail miserably at a big case because they have little to no power to combat NIL.

Advertisement

Is Ruiz even a booster officially? I seem to remember him specifically saying he wanted zero ties to the school for just this reason.

Advertisement
He can shut up if everybody wants. But that life wallet money is gonna be screaming and popping up all over.

The potential for it to make even more money is just beginning. If this gets adopted by a major hospital system or insurance company it’s gonna be a ridiculous cash cow.
He's trying to succeed where others have failed to have the will to adopt.

With that said, low barrier to entry tech-wise....Mt Everest barrier to entry policy/adoption wise.

Is Ruiz even a booster officially? I seem to remember him specifically saying he wanted zero ties to the school for just this reason.

He's a booster. Once a booster, always a booster. You can't just say "oh, now I want zero ties".

It's too late. John Ruiz and his entire family are boosters.

Advertisement
Back