Rumor They Are Making Noise About A "Ruiz Rule"

Advertisement
If the video isn’t available I know a guy who can make a gif of it to tweet
One step ahead of you brother.

ezgif-1-fda5be5f0f.gif

Last edited:
Do you remember how Seantrel got out of his letter of intent?

The NCAA granted him and everyone else who signed with USC a waiver since they were going to be hit with sanctions following the Reggie Bush investigation. I don't think it would have been fair to punish kids who signed with USC before sanctions.

I stand corrected then. But I still think a kid who just finished His freshman season shouldn't be penalized though. I read a Clemson guy say that If a player wants to transfer to another school, then they are free to do so, but can't profit from an NIL LOL. How stupid is that...those are the kind of forces that Ruiz & UM are dealing with.

So what if scholarships are abolished and everything just goes to contracts??? Does that slow down portal action by locking athletes into the school??? I understand a scholarship is essentially a contract but revamping how everything is written and enforced would change things I think...
The NCAA would be completely out of the picture at this point which is kinda where things are going with them anyway...

Advertisement
You are correct.

At the same time, steal their ammunition. How many unsportsmanlike penalties did UM get in the 1980s? But until Randal Hill ran into the tunnel, the NCAA didn't do anything except walk off 15-yarders on us. After that? They made that whole video showing all of the horrible things Miami had done previously.

And, sure, some people will blow that off and say that we overcame it. But why give them ammo to shoot you with?

John's been a **** good lawyer for years, he's made plenty of money. You've never seen him taking these pictures and tweeting these things previously. So it's not purely about ego, that he needs to see his own name and likeness all over the place. I understand the play he is making at the moment, I understand the publicity that he is building around the company. And now it's time to reel it back. Everyone knows that LifeWallet pays well. Let every recruit call the LifeWallet marketing department and see what the interest is.

We just (collectively) need to read the room. Everyone knew it was going to be the Wild West for a while. But, yeah, some university presidents and ADs suddenly saw the blood and got queasy. So now the momentum is shifting to "let's hire a sheriff to stop the best gunfighters from running roughshod". And now it's time to slow down the "everyone shaking hands for the NIL before the commit is even announced" photo ops. Let's shift the Tweets from "predictions" to "post-LOI-gloating".

It's all good. I'm not mad at John. He's done nothing wrong under the existing rules.

But now it's time to transition from a pugnacious start-up to a blue-blood blue-chip stock that's a part of the Dow Jones Index.
Great post.. Love the idea of sitting back taking their temperature, and reading the room...great advice...

We are ahead, so don't f*** it up with too much high profiling right now.

The Million dollar question is : Can John Ruiz restrain himself after seeing his name up in lights, in order to give the U some breathing room. ?

Jumping from one tweet to the next may not be the best posture at this time.

Consolidate our wins and be strategic at this point.

Excellent points TOC we need to go stealth, and plan now... totally agree with you position.

This is what happens when you have loud boosters. We seen to never get the one who knows how to play the game quietly.

I haven’t closely followed the situation but I would say that we’ve been in the upper tier of shamelessly wielding this new, undefined sword. I don’t think it’s necessarily a bad thing, the laws have been fluid so it would be tough to violate them. But eventually there will be some kind of rules. The Ruiz thing makes me a little nervous long term, seems like having some third party egomaniac negotiating basically on behalf of our program with his own money is a new place to be. If he ever Decided to stop shelling out money, it would be a big blow, and as long as we need him it creates a dynamic I don’t love. We cant be the only school in some version of his situation now. I trust Mario isn’t asleep at the wheel at least and we have a compliance team looking at all of this stuff.

I think we all agree the kids should get paid. This is kinda the ****show period as the parameters and market sorts itself out. The money exploded for coaches, it should for players too. It is worth taking a step back and wondering how practical this kind of financial arms race is for State Universities in our country where the football coach makes 10 times what the president does, but here we are.

Advertisement
This is what happens when you have loud boosters. We seen to never get the one who knows how to play the game quietly.
But if you are playing by the rules and you are clean. Why be quiet?

I’ll be the first to admit not really understanding the NIL stuff but if the NCAA really cracks down on NIL collectives and LifeWallet makes it out clean. The NCAA would unintentionally promote LifeWallet & Miami as one of the best and safest places to get a NIL deal. That would be the biggest blow to the NCAA(aka SEC). Kids will be lining up to play here.

But that’s only if LifeWallet makes it out clean.

I haven’t closely followed the situation but I would say that we’ve been in the upper tier of shamelessly wielding this new, undefined sword. I don’t think it’s necessarily a bad thing, the laws have been fluid so it would be tough to violate them. But eventually there will be some kind of rules. The Ruiz thing makes me a little nervous long term, seems like having some third party egomaniac negotiating basically on behalf of our program with his own money is a new place to be. If he ever Decided to stop shelling out money, it would be a big blow, and as long as we need him it creates a dynamic I don’t love. We cant be the only school in some version of his situation now. I trust Mario isn’t asleep at the wheel at least and we have a compliance team looking at all of this stuff.

I think we all agree the kids should get paid. This is kinda the ****show period as the parameters and market sorts itself out. The money exploded for coaches, it should for players too. It is worth taking a step back and wondering how practical this kind of financial arms race is for State Universities in our country where the football coach makes 10 times what the president does, but here we are.

The law is very clear in Florida. Ruiz is following the statute to a T.

Collectives and c3’s created for the purpose of aggregating money to pay players to benefit a particular school are clearly in violation of the plain language of the law.

This is really simple yet people try to keep complicating it.

Great post.. Love the idea of sitting back taking their temperature, and reading the room...great advice...

We are ahead, so don't f*** it up with too much high profiling right now.

The Million dollar question is : Can John Ruiz restrain himself after seeing his name up in lights, in order to give the U some breathing room. ?

Jumping from one tweet to the next may not be the best posture at this time.

Consolidate our wins and be strategic at this point.

Excellent points TOC we need to go stealth, and plan now... totally agree with you position.

And again, I want to stress, I love and respect John Ruiz. He's new to being a "high profile" guy in both a publicly traded company and in big-time college sports (though he's accustomed to this as a trial lawyer).

I'm just suggesting...a smooth transition...into being a long-term power broker. There's a reason why Don Corleone spoke in code about what needed to be done. There's a reason why Tony Soprano let Uncle Junior be named the head of the family.

Advertisement
And again, I want to stress, I love and respect John Ruiz. He's new to being a "high profile" guy in both a publicly traded company and in big-time college sports (though he's accustomed to this as a trial lawyer).

I'm just suggesting...a smooth transition...into being a long-term power broker. There's a reason why Don Corleone spoke in code about what needed to be done. There's a reason why Tony Soprano let Uncle Junior be named the head of the family.
Again, you are comparing him to crime bosses.

It's weird that you all want him to do it the right way and the legal way but want him to act like a crime boss just so the NCAA doesn't notice too much. The publicity is the point.

Again, you are comparing him to crime bosses.

It's weird that you all want him to do it the right way and the legal way but want him to act like a crime boss just so the NCAA doesn't notice too much. The publicity is the point.

Nooooo...(and where did I ever do that previously?)...

I am using references (organized crime movies and shows) because that's what some of our posters seem to be able to comprehend. I've made numerous prior references to being more quiet AS THE CEO OF A PUBLICLY-TRADED COMPANY, but that just seems to fly over certain people's heads.

And most importantly, you seem to be one of those people incapable of differentiating between different types of publicity. I'm just waiting for you to quote "there's no such thing as bad press" or some other brilliant insight.

The "publicity" that he is paying for is 111 athletes to endorse and advertise for his company. I have no problems with him using his personal Twitter account to mock UM's rivals. But this is the TYPICAL challenge faced by companies that are founded by, and run by, one particular individual. That person often finds it hard to separate the business side from the personal side. John Ruiz would not be the first to struggle with drawing lines where lines were not needed when he was just one guy with his own law firm.

But that's no longer the situation. It's time to stop making excuses ("but, but, but, it's publicity, AND THAT'S THE POINT") and move into a more responsible style of running a business that may soon be valued between 30 billion and 40 billion.

Advertisement
There is something that can be done about it. Dan and Mario can ask John to chill. I hope it doesn't come to that, and John chooses to chill on his own.
There is a reason why no one has told him to chill. Fans are overly paranoid and do not understand the NCAA can’t do **** about it.

Advertisement
Back