There's room for optimism-- but we still need to see more improvement

Liquidstoke

Banned
Banned
So after the 2 wins-- one against our most hated rivals and one where we put up 52 points and 3 turn-overs, the sh*t-flinging here has settled down somewhat....

Realistically these wins came against 2 crappy teams-- but they were crappy teams with huge potential to upset this still gelling Canes squad.

But there's clear signs of the following improvements with the team:

1) O-Line: can't say enough how rapidly this squad is starting to improve-- probably the most improved part of the team. And the wins and scores are the result of giving JW more time to find his WR and for the RB's to find lanes

2) Defensive intensity, sacks, TFL's and gang-tackling is starting to look like "Classic Canes Defense" -- this is the result of one of THE BEST DEFENSIVE COACHES in CFB getting back to the nitty-gritties of coaching his defense... Diaz is proven "defense whisperer" as he's proving again by revitalizing this squad. They went from 29 missed tackles at GT to now solid solo tackles in space.

3) Special teams stabilizing & improving-- what was once a complete liability for the team is now finally starting to do it's job-- gain field position and making FG's. The formula seems to finally be working with the current players. KJ returning kicks is already creating highlights whereas JT was imitation of a statue...

Canes are still a long ways from competing with a top 10 team but at least they seem to be climbing out of the lower 50s and may even be breaking the top 30's at this point. If they continue to score and play this kind of defense-- they should enter the top 20 after 2 more dominant wins....

As i've been saying all season:

• This is a Rebuild
  • This year is about installing new Offensive systems
  • It's about clearing out "loser culture" that existed with Richt (players like JT and his style)
  • It's about using the year to continually improve in real-game experience
If this team continues to make progress-- we can be hopeful that 2020 will mean being competitive against any Top 10 team.

Championship caliber in 2020? I doubt it....

Maybe 2021 if the combo of recruiting, losses to the transfer portal and drafts don't majorly impact the team.

Advertisement
You sound like you copy and pasted Manny's script. I don't mean this as a criticism because it's pretty accurate what you wrote. TBH, I still haven't figured out Jeff T though.

So after the 2 wins-- one against our most hated rivals and one where we put up 52 points and 3 turn-overs, the sh*t-flinging here has settled down somewhat....

Realistically these wins came against 2 crappy teams-- but they were crappy teams with huge potential to upset this still gelling Canes squad.

But there's clear signs of the following improvements with the team:

1) O-Line: can't say enough how rapidly this squad is starting to improve-- probably the most improved part of the team. And the wins and scores are the result of giving JW more time to find his WR and for the RB's to find lanes

2) Defensive intensity, sacks, TFL's and gang-tackling is starting to look like "Classic Canes Defense" -- this is the result of one of THE BEST DEFENSIVE COACHES in CFB getting back to the nitty-gritties of coaching his defense... Diaz is proven "defense whisperer" as he's proving again by revitalizing this squad. They went from 29 missed tackles at GT to now solid solo tackles in space.

3) Special teams stabilizing & improving-- what was once a complete liability for the team is now finally starting to do it's job-- gain field position and making FG's. The formula seems to finally be working with the current players. KJ returning kicks is already creating highlights whereas JT was imitation of a statue...

Canes are still a long ways from competing with a top 10 team but at least they seem to be climbing out of the lower 50s and may even be breaking the top 30's at this point. If they continue to score and play this kind of defense-- they should enter the top 20 after 2 more dominant wins....

As i've been saying all season:

• This is a Rebuild
  • This year is about installing new Offensive systems
  • It's about clearing out "loser culture" that existed with Richt (players like JT and his style)
  • It's about using the year to continually improve in real-game experience
If this team continues to make progress-- we can be hopeful that 2020 will mean being competitive against any Top 10 team.

Championship caliber in 2020? I doubt it....

Maybe 2021 if the combo of recruiting, losses to the transfer portal and drafts don't majorly impact the team.
Agree, but... I'm sick and tired of the "loser culture" excuse. Didn't Rich just clean that up? Matter of fact, he shouldn't have needed to because al got rid of it. Sht, now that I think of it Randy cleared that out, so it shouldn't have been a problem for al.

I'm done with this crap. You've got kids on the team who can win games, the only question is can you get their best out of them? You don't need to clear them out, you need to coach them. Now get to fcking work.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Still very cautious optimism. Need to see continuous improvement a lot longer than a few games. End this season on a nice win streak and next year keep improving the cautious may go away. Been too many years of promises not kept.

You can say it’s a rebuild all you want that won’t make it true.

You have valid points but u lose credibility with that.

FPI favored us in every game we lost. Which means far more credible ppl believe this team has talent.

My definition of "REBUILD" =
  • 7-6 team coming in
  • new coaches -- yes Diaz but very different system being installed
  • brand new Offensive scheme being installed
  • needing 3 portal transfers to find experience
  • needing several seniors to return to keep experience on the team
If that isn't a rebuild-- how do you define "rebuild"?

Pitt was leading the nation in sacks with 7 a game and they held them to 3. Give credit where it’s due bro
So would you include Pitt?
The OL may have only given up 3 sacks but Miami only had 208 total yards. 54 yards rushing on 27 attempts. Luckily Pitt had two more turnovers or Miami doesn't get a last minute touchdown to win the game. My point is I don't think they've improved very much at all and their play is more an indication of how bad FSU and Louisville DL's are. The Pitt win was way more because of the defense then the offense. I want the OL to be better but I'm not sure they really are.

Advertisement
My definition of "REBUILD" =
  • 7-6 team coming in
  • new coaches -- yes Diaz but very different system being installed
  • brand new Offensive scheme being installed
  • needing 3 portal transfers to find experience
  • needing several seniors to return to keep experience on the team
If that isn't a rebuild-- how do you define "rebuild"?

Bruh those are excuses. You speak as someone who doesn’t follow this team closely. I would expect someone from the outside to think that. But when Manny said “rebuild” even the ESPN ACC Analyst and local Media ripped him.

The team last year underachieved. Everyone knows that. You don’t go from the #1 defense to rebuilding especially when you Sr. Core (who are also considered your best players) return.

Manny has underachieved in his first year as well.

He has 2-4* and 1 -5* QB
He has 4* and 5* RBs 4 deep
He had 4* WRs 5 deep
He has 4* o- lineman that “apparently no one can coach up.”
Defense sr. Lb
One of the best dlines in cfb
And a 4* secondary.

Ask any coach in the country outside of Clemson, UGA, Bama and OSU and OU

Would love to coach this roster.

Yes there is marginal improvement and the chance for Manny to take a steps forward and prove he’s a capable head coach.

But naw bruh install a new offense or not. This wasn’t a rebuild and there was no excuse to lose to the bottom feeders like we did.

The OL may have only given up 3 sacks but Miami only had 208 total yards. 54 yards rushing on 27 attempts. Luckily Pitt had two more turnovers or Miami doesn't get a last minute touchdown to win the game. My point is I don't think they've improved very much at all and their play is more an indication of how bad FSU and Louisville DL's are. The Pitt win was way more because of the defense then the offense. I want the OL to be better but I'm not sure they really are.

And do you also understand who the QB was for the MAJORITY of the PITT game compared to the last 2 wks??

Bruh those are excuses. You speak as someone who doesn’t follow this team closely. I would expect someone from the outside to think that. But when Manny said “rebuild” even the ESPN ACC Analyst and local Media ripped him.

The team last year underachieved. Everyone knows that. You don’t go from the #1 defense to rebuilding especially when you Sr. Core (who are also considered your best players) return.

Manny has underachieved in his first year as well.

He has 2-4* and 1 -5* QB
He has 4* and 5* RBs 4 deep
He had 4* WRs 5 deep
He has 4* o- lineman that “apparently no one can coach up.”
Defense sr. Lb
One of the best dlines in cfb
And a 4* secondary.

Ask any coach in the country outside of Clemson, UGA, Bama and OSU and OU

Would love to coach this roster.

Yes there is marginal improvement and the chance for Manny to take a steps forward and prove he’s a capable head coach.

But naw bruh install a new offense or not. This wasn’t a rebuild and there was no excuse to lose to the bottom feeders like we did.

You're getting too caught up in hoe *** recruiting rankings bro. We have bums all over the roster, and many of these kids should've never even been recruited. I'm not trying to blame the kids more than coaches, because I realize they didn't recruit themselves, but the bottom line is there are significant roster holes & depth concerns all over. I also want you to name me..how many 1st time P5 HCs end up winning 10-11 game their 1st yr? Not many, if any.

Advertisement
And do you also understand who the QB was for the MAJORITY of the PITT game compared to the last 2 wks??
Yeah and he was 4 for 8 and 50 yards with 32 coming on the touchdown with less than a minute left. Pitt's current rushing defense is ranked 7th and passing yardage defense is ranked 27th. Pass, louisville is 104 and fsu is 117. Rushing, fsu is 74 and louisville is 88. The difference is one defense is good (maybe better than Miami) and the offense didn't do **** (either qb), and the other two defenses blow goats. Total defense Pitt is 9, L is 101, and FSU is 103. The OL getting it done against two of the worst defenses in the FBS doesn't mean they've necessarily improved. I'll be at the Duke game, their total D is 46, rushing D is 66, and passing D is 38. Duke is also a lot better at TFL's than FSU and Louis. I'll wait till after that to say they've improved.

You're getting too caught up in hoe *** recruiting rankings bro. We have bums all over the roster, and many of these kids should've never even been recruited. I'm not trying to blame the kids more than coaches, because I realize they didn't recruit themselves, but the bottom line is there are significant roster holes & depth concerns all over. I also want you to name me..how many 1st time P5 HCs end up winning 10-11 game their 1st yr? Not many, if any.
It's relative tho. Name one roster in the coastal you'd rather have? How can you call it a rebuild when you have more talent then 10 of the 12 teams on your schedule? I didn't expect Miami to beat a Clemson this year but I **** sure expect them to beat sorry *** GT and UNC. No excuse to lose to those two teams. None. GT is what a rebuild looks like.

It's not "luckily" they had more turnovers than us. We caused those turnovers on the field. That's what good teams with good players who are taught right do.

It's not "luckily" they had more turnovers than us. We caused those turnovers on the field. That's what good teams with good players who are taught right do.
I get that, but if Miami doesn't get those turnovers the last minute touchdown might not have won the game. I said the win is more on the the defense than the offense.

Advertisement
Back