There will always be important decisions for the head coach to make

terdferguson

Junior
That is the problem for Mario going forward. This year it was kneeling and it was also having a feel for when to bench Van Dyke etc (newsflash, a coach with a good feel for decision making would have already benched him.) Last year he had to hire an entire staff and there were major failures there. Next year he'll be presented with a new set of challenges and have to make decisions to navigate them. Challenges that will decide games. And the year after that....so on and so forth.

I think many of the original Mario supporters thought we'll just load up on so much talent that it won't matter. But that's not reality. Even if we stack the roster there's always going to be obstacles to navigate and important decisions to make that will affect the outcomes of games. It's never going away. As a fan, it's really disheartening to know that we're stuck with a guy that's just not capable in this arena. Does anyone trust him managing the clock at the end of a game? A loss from mismanaging the clock at the end of a game is 100% coming in the future.

Advertisement
That is the problem for Mario going forward. This year it was kneeling and it was also having a feel for when to bench Van Dyke etc (newsflash, a coach with a good feel for decision making would have already benched him.) Last year he had to hire an entire staff and there were major failures there. Next year he'll be presented with a new set of challenges and have to make decisions to navigate them. Challenges that will decide games. And the year after that....so on and so forth.

I think many of the original Mario supporters thought we'll just load up on so much talent that it won't matter. But that's not reality. Even if we stack the roster there's always going to be obstacles to navigate and important decisions to make that will affect the outcomes of games. It's never going away. As a fan, it's really disheartening to know that we're stuck with a guy that's just not capable in this arena. Does anyone trust him managing the clock at the end of a game? A loss from mismanaging the clock at the end of a game is 100% coming in the future.

I am not off the Mario bandwagon yet, but the feet are hanging off the sides and my toes are dragging.

This is one of those years where we can unequivocally say we beat ourselves--which to me is worse than a loss due to talent/depth/injuries. We were barely overmatched with UNC--it's a hot take.

I think my concerns going forward is his propensity to repeat these mistakes or cause new ones. There is only one stat that matters each game; "did you win the **** game?". Quit overthinking things Coach! Trying to get yards and not kneeling, trying to coddle hurt feelings due to lack of playing time, who cares--all secondary to winning. No statistic, no moral victory; Nothing is more important in football than winning the game. Feels like Coach has gotten away from that message. Lately it has felt like this team has not been in the best posture to win. That's his responsibility. It's the $8M answer to the question.

Advertisement
Back