There are nearly 10 local offensive linemen headed to FBS programs between Miami-Dade and Broward Counties:

The real question is would the crying be greater than, less than, or equal to the crying over having ZERO OL recruits committed as of 12/4. I'm honestly not sure what the answer is, but I don't like the thought of South Carolina getting more OL recruits from South Florida than Miami.

I hear ya...totally do. BUT, the decommits just happened. AS of 12/4 "I ain't heard no bell". Let's see what OL class looks like in early Feb.

Advertisement
It’s no secret I’m a fan of local guys. To me, it makes sense to go after the best ones early (Maurice Smith, Jake Pope) and start a no-offer-yet dialogue with interesting guys like Boateng.

That way, you have a base established while you chase more difficult out-of-state or North Florida targets.

I mean its not even that hard. You laid it right out, and its my way of thinking as well. Quite frankly i think he just doesnt like the S. Fla guys. If he is all over the place seeing these other kids...he aint feeling the crop.

I hear ya...totally do. BUT, the decommits just happened. AS of 12/4 "I ain't heard no bell". Let's see what OL class looks like in early Feb.

I can appreciate that take. There is still some time, no doubt, and we're never certain what is going on behind the scenes. Tarquin, up until a couple of weeks ago, was supposedly locked in. There's been noise around Eguakun for some time now, though I think originally it was Auburn, but he was probably telling our staff the things they wanted to hear. These are all fluid situations, I understand that. But at this stage, time is the enemy, and our recruiting seems to lack a sense of urgency (much like our offense much of the season).

My problem is, particularly in recruiting certain position groups, when decommits happen or kids go on to another school, it often feels like UM is finding out via Twitter like the rest of us. I expect more from the staff. I expect them to have a feel for this and implement a plan to fill the position. And I expect them to do so BEFORE the decommit/commit comes. Tarquin has been making noise for a couple of weeks? Staff should have been circling back with other tackles at the first moment we saw even a hint of doubt. Eguakun flirting with Auburn and then UiF? We should have offered Smith in the Summer. The staff can't honestly believe they can just swoop in at the 11th hour all the time and things will be fine. Can they?

I can appreciate that take. There is still some time, no doubt, and we're never certain what is going on behind the scenes. Tarquin, up until a couple of weeks ago, was supposedly locked in. There's been noise around Eguakun for some time now, though I think originally it was Auburn, but he was probably telling our staff the things they wanted to hear. These are all fluid situations, I understand that. But at this stage, time is the enemy, and our recruiting seems to lack a sense of urgency (much like our offense much of the season).

My problem is, particularly in recruiting certain position groups, when decommits happen or kids go on to another school, it often feels like UM is finding out via Twitter like the rest of us. I expect more from the staff. I expect them to have a feel for this and implement a plan to fill the position. And I expect them to do so BEFORE the decommit/commit comes. Tarquin has been making noise for a couple of weeks? Staff should have been circling back with other tackles at the first moment we saw even a hint of doubt. Eguakun flirting with Auburn and then UiF? We should have offered Smith in the Summer. The staff can't honestly believe they can just swoop in at the 11th hour all the time and things will be fine. Can they?

With regards to Smith i kinda agree but think it’s not that clear cut when you are talking one dimensional centers? You can only take ao many “centers”

I agree the overall recruiting at times appears lazy, arrogant, and aloof...but i do get a sense of urgency at other positions so gonna give next few days or a week to see if it kicks in at OL. Fine line though because you don’t want to expand to kids that simply aren’t UM caliber ya know.

Advertisement
Back