The WR skillset and training discussion

I don’t agree with this take. Plenty of teams out there with lower rated, less athletic receivers who are producing.
This just isn’t true. They might be rated higher but they **** sure not more talented. We had this same debate in 2019 when ppl questioned why we took a kid from buffalo. That kid wasn’t more talented..he just put in work..and Enos was his OC and he produced day 1. We overrate our talent constantly..and our talented guys, for some reason, don’t seem to put in the extra work over the years

Advertisement
This just isn’t true. They might be rated higher but they **** sure not more talented. We had this same debate in 2019 when ppl questioned why we took a kid from buffalo. That kid wasn’t more talented..he just put in work..and Enos was his OC and he produced day 1. We overrate our talent constantly..and our talented guys, for some reason, don’t seem to put in the extra work over the years
Perhaps then we should view talent as not just physical ability but moreso that person’s drive, ambition, and focus.
Michael Irvin/Jerry Rice types weren’t the fastest or biggest. But they (well Irvin’s coke habit eventually caught up to him) worked extremely hard at their craft.
When you have short white guys leading the NFL in receiving yards or catches it shows how training and route running matter.

Perhaps then we should view talent as not just physical ability but moreso that person’s drive, ambition, and focus.
Michael Irvin/Jerry Rice types weren’t the fastest or biggest. But they (well Irvin’s coke habit eventually caught up to him) worked extremely hard at their craft.
When you have short white guys leading the NFL in receiving yards or catches it shows how training and route running matter.
And that the part of evaluation thats missing when it comes to industry rankings tbh. When you get to college the extra work you put in matters. Everyone at that p5 level is physically talented.. now you have the 2% who are just head and shoulders above everyone else..but with most guys it’s the work, extra film study, time you invest in your body etc..and you have to be coachable

We haven’t had a WR since Osborn that could simply lineup and know how he was going to beat you before the snap. At the snap of the ball every single guy on our roster is in constant thought while their feet are moving. They don’t understand what they’re looking at or why they need to be in certain spot. That’s on the OC/WR coach some too but our kids just haven’t put in the extra time as a unit as well. I always come back to Mike Redding’s comeback route that people on the board thought TVD’s missed during the A&M game. I’m sure @Cribby know the play I’m referencing. The WR didn’t recognize what the DB was setting him up to do. TVD threw it to where he belonged.

Advertisement
We haven’t had a WR since Osborn that could simply lineup and know how he was going to beat you before the snap. At the snap of the ball every single guy on our roster is in constant thought while their feet are moving. They don’t understand what they’re looking at or why they need to be in certain spot. That’s on the OC/WR coach some too but our kids just haven’t put in the extra time as a unit as well. I always come back to Mike Redding’s comeback route that people on the board thought TVD’s missed during the A&M game. I’m sure @Cribby know the play I’m referencing. The WR didn’t recognize what the DB was setting him up to do. TVD threw it to where he belonged.
I’d say Rambo as well..and that A&M play your referencing was to Keyshawn..TVD missed Redding on a deep ball over route that was a TD..but yea man you can tell our guys haven’t put the extra work in as a unit. And guys can’t create separation..

To add to that, the “higher ranked” kids actually took from Osborn’s work ethic.

I was thinking about Marvin Harrison Jr & I recall reading a story about him. The coaches praised him for his work ethic since Day 1. He didn’t want to rely upon his last name vs. determined to carve out his own legacy. To that point, when he wasn’t in discussion for the Biletnikoff Award this season, dude privately went to the facilities by himself, set up the jugg machine & was working out by himself. Had a helluva game in the CFP b4 getting concussed.

My issue w/ fans here is when they try to promote the city for a kid to come here vs. the program. The City may have been one of our biggest issues under previous staffs who were player coaches vs. disciplinarians. There has been zero accountability surrounding this program for over 20 yrs! It’s the talent that we’ve had that’s led us to being a perennial 7-5 team for 18 of those 20 yrs, & a poor culture to continue to under achieve.

Getting stars is one thing; promoting an atmosphere where those stars can blossom is another thing. There’s a reason y many of the guys who transfer out, we don’t hear from again, & those who transfer in immediately became the best players regardless of their HS rank.

Last edited:
To add to that, the “higher ranked” kids actually took from Osborn’s work ethic.

I was thinking about Marvin Harrison Jr & I recall reading a story about him. The coaches praised him for his work ethic since Day 1. He didn’t want to rely upon his last name vs. determined to carve out his own legacy. To that point, when he wasn’t in discussion for the Biletnikoff Award this season, dude privately went to the facilities by himself, set up the jugg machine & was working out by himself. Had a helluva game in the CFP b4 getting concussed.

My issue w/ fans here is when they try to promote the city for a kid to come here vs. the program. The City may have been one of biggest issues under previous staffs who were player coaches vs. disciplinarians. There has been zero accountability surrounding this program for over 20 yrs! It’s the talent that we’ve had that’s led us to being a perennial 7-5 team for 18 of those 20 yrs, & a poor culture to continue to under achieve.

Getting stars is one thing; promoting an atmosphere where those stars can blossom is another thing. There’s a reason y many of the guys who transfer out, we don’t hear from again, & those who transfer in immediately became the best players regardless of their HS rank.
To add to this..the kids from The city..high 3stars, mid to low 4 stars..have become overrated. There is talent scattered around the nation that we overlook just because of we’re they come from. I think Mario understands that and will look to attack nationally

Advertisement
I don’t agree with this take. Plenty of teams out there with lower rated, less athletic receivers who are producing.

Ah, we always fall back on the "highly rated" part. Being highly rated doesn't mean you understand the position or that you have any work ethic whatsoever.

Advertisement
Back