Everything went wrong

No road win
Didnt beat a ranked team
Didnt understand ncaa compliance rules in relation to huell
Lost to wake in fantastic fashion
Refused to burn a redshirt when we needed depth
Continually blown out
Didn't beat anyone with a pluse

There is always next year, but this year we regressed so badly it is hard to imagine much improvement.

Maybe we will come back and beat vatech after I post this...

Advertisement
Is it the pressured defensive looks versus top teams...? As our ACC "leader" high-percentage-three-shot guy DJ is 10-58 since Jan 12 in our (10) losses, and 20 for 47 in our (5) wins. If not that, I hope Coach L figures it out. Similar situation with Lykes. Do they just get rattled and/or have off nights, or (as I assume) they have to rush shots or get bad looks and great defense?

If just these 2 guys sank anything close to their average in the 10 losses, we would be 10-5 in ACC since Jan 12.

Everything went wrong

No road win
Didnt beat a ranked team
Didnt understand ncaa compliance rules in relation to huell
Lost to wake in fantastic fashion
Refused to burn a redshirt when we needed depth
Continually blown out
Didn't beat anyone with a pluse

There is always next year, but this year we regressed so badly it is hard to imagine much improvement.

Maybe we will come back and beat vatech after I post this...

What's there to "Understand" in regards to Huell? I'm just waiting for one of you to actually say something worthwhile about that. Miami got screwed by the NCAA, full stop. Nothing, and I repeat, NOTHING could have stopped the NCAA from doing this. They had no precedent, they even ADMITTED that they didn't have any evidence suggesting that Huell had taken the money.

Yep, Rodney Miller playing would have made a world of difference...Read back what you wrote, and then watch thirty seconds of Rodney's film from his first two seasons. Yep, this dude was in desperate need of development, and him playing minuscule minutes, in a season that was wrecked almost from jump is a stupid idea. Rodney, if he's going to be anything at all desperately needed a redshirt, and this was the year to give it to him.

Did I miss something in regards to this team? Continually blown out? Let's actually look at the schedule and notice that they spent most of the **** conference slate playing above their heads. Let's look at how many times they lost by 20 or more.

Duke
Virginia Tech(Tonight)
Louisville(I'm throwing this in for argument)

In other words, it wasn't even close to constant. This team played some of the nation's best teams down to the final minutes where a lack of depth eventually doomed them. If a team is in the game late, that's not a blowout.

By the way, if you think this season was the worst in 20 years, then you don't know diddly about Miami basketball, and should probably avoid flapping your gums. 20 years involves the Clark era, where Miami once went 11-17 in a craptacular Big East. That was a team that was lost from the opening tipoff game after game. Haith in 06 went 12-20 in an ACC that wasn't nearly as good. You want to see craptacular coaching? Go watch those games. I had to suffer through that crap as an undergrad. That squad was so bad, I'm convinced I could have found 10 guys at the Wellness Center that could have beaten them.

I'm disappointed in how this season went, but I'm not going to crap on this staff, or this team. This staff got the most out of a group of guys that probably would have finished with single digit wins with a lesser coach. Never mind the fact that Miami was one decent ACC body away from possibly breaking .500 in conference play. Look at how many times Miami had leads deep into the second half, but wasn't able to hold it. Look at how they competed against UNC BOTH TIMES. Look at how this team gave FSU everything they could. Frankly, Miami should have beaten NC State in the conference opener. Let's not even talk about the frustrating loss to Wake. This team didn't underachieve in the least, they performed as well as a team with only six scholarship players could. The only good news is that Miami will have two freshmen coming in next year, PLUS McGusty, PLUS some grad transfers, and most likely Gak. Miami with ten solid college players will be fine as long as L is around. He **** near beat some of the nation's best this year with a squad that maybe had 3 guys that other programs would have wanted.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Im glad this one is over, its been rough. Im still a huge fan of Lykes but he can be shut down way to easy if a defense has any opportunity to key in on him. Hopefully Wong can take some pressure off next season and the transfer market comes through the way it did for the football team this off season.

Is it the pressured defensive looks versus top teams...? As our ACC "leader" high-percentage-three-shot guy DJ is 10-58 since Jan 12 in our (10) losses, and 20 for 47 in our (5) wins. If not that, I hope Coach L figures it out. Similar situation with Lykes. Do they just get rattled and/or have off nights, or (as I assume) they have to rush shots or get bad looks and great defense?

If just these 2 guys sank anything close to their average in the 10 losses, we would be 10-5 in ACC since Jan 12.

Guys wore down. Also, when you are depending on a guy that is smaller than **** near every guy on this board to score most of your points, it's a fool's errand. Lykes is a **** good player, but he shouldn't be Miami's primary option. You can't build around an extremely undersized point guard. You can have him be one of the guys, but he can't be THE GUY.

Guys wore down. Also, when you are depending on a guy that is smaller than **** near every guy on this board to score most of your points, it's a fool's errand. Lykes is a **** good player, but he shouldn't be Miami's primary option. You can't build around an extremely undersized point guard. You can have him be one of the guys, but he can't be THE GUY.
Thanks for insights. They don't always look rushed when they miss threes and other shots where they seem to have a halfway decent good look. It's a shot Sam will make 10 of 10 in practice. They are also way off a lot, meaning not "almost in". I can buy they are worn out, from the brutal season with no bench to speak of. That bodes well as we can address that with some transfers and add-ons next year.

What's there to "Understand" in regards to Huell? I'm just waiting for one of you to actually say something worthwhile about that. Miami got screwed by the NCAA, full stop. Nothing, and I repeat, NOTHING could have stopped the NCAA from doing this. They had no precedent, they even ADMITTED that they didn't have any evidence suggesting that Huell had taken the money.

Yep, Rodney Miller playing would have made a world of difference...Read back what you wrote, and then watch thirty seconds of Rodney's film from his first two seasons. Yep, this dude was in desperate need of development, and him playing minuscule minutes, in a season that was wrecked almost from jump is a stupid idea. Rodney, if he's going to be anything at all desperately needed a redshirt, and this was the year to give it to him.

Did I miss something in regards to this team? Continually blown out? Let's actually look at the schedule and notice that they spent most of the **** conference slate playing above their heads. Let's look at how many times they lost by 20 or more.

Duke
Virginia Tech(Tonight)
Louisville(I'm throwing this in for argument)

In other words, it wasn't even close to constant. This team played some of the nation's best teams down to the final minutes where a lack of depth eventually doomed them. If a team is in the game late, that's not a blowout.

By the way, if you think this season was the worst in 20 years, then you don't know diddly about Miami basketball, and should probably avoid flapping your gums. 20 years involves the Clark era, where Miami once went 11-17 in a craptacular Big East. That was a team that was lost from the opening tipoff game after game. Haith in 06 went 12-20 in an ACC that wasn't nearly as good. You want to see craptacular coaching? Go watch those games. I had to suffer through that crap as an undergrad. That squad was so bad, I'm convinced I could have found 10 guys at the Wellness Center that could have beaten them.

I'm disappointed in how this season went, but I'm not going to crap on this staff, or this team. This staff got the most out of a group of guys that probably would have finished with single digit wins with a lesser coach. Never mind the fact that Miami was one decent ACC body away from possibly breaking .500 in conference play. Look at how many times Miami had leads deep into the second half, but wasn't able to hold it. Look at how they competed against UNC BOTH TIMES. Look at how this team gave FSU everything they could. Frankly, Miami should have beaten NC State in the conference opener. Let's not even talk about the frustrating loss to Wake. This team didn't underachieve in the least, they performed as well as a team with only six scholarship players could. The only good news is that Miami will have two freshmen coming in next year, PLUS McGusty, PLUS some grad transfers, and most likely Gak. Miami with ten solid college players will be fine as long as L is around. He **** near beat some of the nation's best this year with a squad that maybe had 3 guys that other programs would have wanted.
Huell admitted he took money you jackalope. That is a ncaa violation. He told blake james and larranaga that. These idiots couldn't figure out he would be excluded. They are the ones at fault not the ncaa.

Advertisement
Huell admitted he took money you jackalope. That is a ncaa violation. He told blake james and larranaga that. These idiots couldn't figure out he would be excluded. They are the ones at fault not the ncaa.

Plenty of players admitted to taking stuff, but only Huell was expected to miss **** near two whole seasons as a result. Think that over. Never mind the fact that the NCAA made it a point to not give Dewan a road to regaining eligibility, choosing to string out his case, putting Miami in an awful spot.

How is it on the school that the NCAA made it borderline impossible to know where Huell stood?

another hurtful factor is we lost 3 transfers for dismissal as well over the past 3 years (Muhammad and Wilson would have played this year). that coupled with the ncaa investigation last year hurting our recruiting class didn't leave us with much depth after the Huell situation. it happens but i do believe we'll bounce back. we need to not rely on transfers as much (bad judgement on 3 in a row) and more so on recruiting high school kids. there's a lot of good high school ballers littered throughout the state i think we should set our sights on more. just my 2 cents.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back