The Work - Notes from Miami junior day and more

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
**Here's an ironic twist from the commitments of Randy Russell and Camron Davis yesterday -- I asked Davis earlier this week if he was going to Miami's junior Day and he told me he was. He proceeded to say that Russell was coming too. I went on to say that I'd heard Randy enjoyed his visit to UF, and Davis responded, "Yeah, but I'm trying to get Randy at the same school as me."

I had gotten a sense from talking to Davis and other sources around the recruitment that a commitment was coming soon -- he even told me to expect one next month. Then yesterday, Russell decided to commit on the spot and that expedited Davis' process. Canes cornerback Adrian Colbert sat down with Russell and his family early in the day to lay out how Miami changed his football career after transferring from Texas. Colbert's main pitch to them was that Miami coaches aren't just putting on a front when recruiting you -- he told them that the staff truly cares about each person on-and-off the field.

Another interesting nugget for Canes fans -- Davis and Russell train in the gym with none other than former Carol City phenom and Miami Hurricanes linebacker Willie Williams.

**What does each of their commitments mean for the running back and safety positions in 2018? At running back, Miami is more than content with a class of Lingard and Davis. I would expect for them to monitor Chris Curry and James Cook as it is a long process, but if Signing Day was today they would be ecstatic with the pull.

At safety, it appears like Miami is looking to round out the class with Palm Beach Lakes target Gurvan Hall. Hall along with Josh Jobe gives Miami two premier free safety prospects with Russell being the box safety. UM likes American Heritage prospect Tyson Campbell as a cornerback but he also has the flexibility to play safety and some believe he is better off there. Gilbert Frierson can also easily play safety, but for the purposes of the class, he is being recruited at corner.

**The shuffling of the deck at defensive back is underway. I posted late last night that Miami is a player for FCS All-American grad transfer Dee Delaney of The Citadel. Details here: https://www.canesinsight.com/articles/canes/3485

I've also been told to expect a position switch from Mike Jackson, who will be a junior next season. Jackson is likely to slide back to safety from corner beginning this spring in an attempt to beef up a safety group that lost two veterans in Jamal Carter and Rayshawn Jenkins. If Delaney does not end up at Miami, it is almost certain that they will still bring in a player who is eligible immediately. Another interesting wrinkle that's been discussed as well is using incoming freshman Trajan Bandy as a safety in some packages.

**On Gurvan Hall, who Miami expects in the class: There was some talk coming into the day that Hall could commit to the Hurricanes on the spot, but he decided that he wasn't ready just yet. The speculation now is that Hall could be waiting for one of Miami's spring scrimmages, but specifically the one that will be held in Palm Beach County.

**Miami offered Dennis Briggs, Jr. yesterday, who I wrote about earlier this week.

[TWEET]833071820370755585[/TWEET]

As you can see, Briggs has the frame to potentially grow into a huge defensive tackle in college. He told me last week that he is currently 6-5, 255 and has gained 10 pounds in the offseason by hitting the weight room hard. Coach Kool wanted to get a look at his size in person yesterday, which was the holdup with the offer, but look for Miami to make a strong push for him.

**With Miami's 2018 class already building a solid foundation, UM is looking to get off to a fast start in 2019 as well. Derick Hunter of Fort Myers was absolutely blown away by his visit yesterday and he said that he almost committed. Details here: https://www.canesinsight.com/thread/2019-hunter-offered-committed/117637

Also in the trenches, IMG OL Evan Neal had a strong visit from what I was told. He is considered a Miami lean early in the recruiting process and actually has strong family ties to Canes great Cleveland Gary.

**2019 Columbus DE Jeramy Passmore is looking like he will be an extremely unique prospect and I would expect the Canes to potentially offer him some time in the spring. His name has been on Miami's radar since last summer, when he tore up the Richt camps and got invited to the Paradise Camp as a 15-year old and held his own against the likes of Alex Leatherwood, Navaughn Donaldson, Zalon'tae Hillery, and Zach Dykstra. I viewed him as more of a defensive end/outside linebacker prospect but he is currently in the process of putting on weight.

This was from back in July 2016, where Passmore shows some impressive footwork and hands usage.

[TWEET]754085258295910401[/TWEET]

Then this was last month at the NGHTMR 7-on-7 tryouts.

[TWEET]820303001755619329[/TWEET]

And then finally, these pictures are from yesterday where it is evident that Passmore is beefing up.

[TWEET]833030041713926144[/TWEET]

[TWEET]833071924347621376[/TWEET]

It remains to be seen how Passmore moves with the added weight, but he only just turned 16 in January. He could grow into a mean defensive tackle with an explosive step off the line before it's all said and done. As far as his Miami interest, I'd expect him to commit almost instantly if offered.

Advertisement
Advertisement
**Here's an ironic twist from the commitments of Randy Russell and Camron Davis yesterday -- I asked Davis earlier this week if he was going to Miami's junior Day and he told me he was. He proceeded to say that Russell was coming too. I went on to say that I'd heard Randy enjoyed his visit to UF, and Davis responded, "Yeah, but I'm trying to get Randy at the same school as me."

I had gotten a sense from talking to Davis and other sources around the recruitment that a commitment was coming soon -- he even told me to expect one next month. Then yesterday, Russell decided to commit on the spot and that expedited Davis' process. Canes cornerback Adrian Colbert sat down with Russell and his family early in the day to lay out how Miami changed his football career after transferring from Texas. Colbert's main pitch to them was that Miami coaches aren't just putting on a front when recruiting you -- he told them that the staff truly cares about each person on-and-off the field.

Another interesting nugget for Canes fans -- Davis and Russell train in the gym with none other than former Carol City phenom and Miami Hurricanes linebacker Willie Williams.

**What does each of their commitments mean for the running back and safety positions in 2018? At running back, Miami is more than content with a class of Lingard and Davis. I would expect for them to monitor Chris Curry and James Cook as it is a long process, but if Signing Day was today they would be ecstatic with the pull.

At safety, it appears like Miami is looking to round out the class with Palm Beach Lakes target Gurvan Hall. Hall along with Josh Jobe gives Miami two premier free safety prospects with Russell being the box safety. UM likes American Heritage prospect Tyson Campbell as a cornerback but he also has the flexibility to play safety and some believe he is better off there. Gilbert Frierson can also easily play safety, but for the purposes of the class, he is being recruited at corner.

**The shuffling of the deck at defensive back is underway. I posted late last night that Miami is a player for FCS All-American grad transfer Dee Delaney of The Citadel. Details here: https://www.canesinsight.com/articles/canes/3485

I've also been told to expect a position switch from Mike Jackson, who will be a junior next season. Jackson is likely to slide back to safety from corner beginning this spring in an attempt to beef up a safety group that lost two veterans in Jamal Carter and Rayshawn Jenkins. If Delaney does not end up at Miami, it is almost certain that they will still bring in a player who is eligible immediately. Another interesting wrinkle that's been discussed as well is using incoming freshman Trajan Bandy as a safety in some packages.

**On Gurvan Hall, who Miami expects in the class: There was some talk coming into the day that Hall could commit to the Hurricanes on the spot, but he decided that he wasn't ready just yet. The speculation now is that Hall could be waiting for one of Miami's spring scrimmages, but specifically the one that will be held in Palm Beach County.

**Miami offered Dennis Briggs, Jr. yesterday, who I wrote about earlier this week.

[TWEET]833071820370755585[/TWEET]

As you can see, Briggs has the frame to potentially grow into a huge defensive tackle in college. He told me last week that he is currently 6-5, 255 and has gained 10 pounds in the offseason by hitting the weight room hard. Coach Kool wanted to get a look at his size in person yesterday, which was the holdup with the offer, but look for Miami to make a strong push for him.

**With Miami's 2018 class already building a solid foundation, UM is looking to get off to a fast start in 2019 as well. Derick Hunter of Fort Myers was absolutely blown away by his visit yesterday and he said that he almost committed. Details here: https://www.canesinsight.com/thread/2019-hunter-offered-committed/117637

Also in the trenches, IMG OL Evan Neal had a strong visit from what I was told. He is considered a Miami lean early in the recruiting process and actually has strong family ties to Canes great Cleveland Gary.

**2019 Columbus DE Jeramy Passmore is looking like he will be an extremely unique prospect and I would expect the Canes to potentially offer him some time in the spring. His name has been on Miami's radar since last summer, when he tore up the Richt camps and got invited to the Paradise Camp as a 15-year old and held his own against the likes of Alex Leatherwood, Navaughn Donaldson, Zalon'tae Hillery, and Zach Dykstra. I viewed him as more of a defensive end/outside linebacker prospect but he is currently in the process of putting on weight.

This was from back in July 2016, where Passmore shows some impressive footwork and hands usage.

[TWEET]754085258295910401[/TWEET]

Then this was last month at the NGHTMR 7-on-7 tryouts.

[TWEET]820303001755619329[/TWEET]

And then finally, these pictures are from yesterday where it is evident that Passmore is beefing up.

[TWEET]833030041713926144[/TWEET]

[TWEET]833071924347621376[/TWEET]

It remains to be seen how Passmore moves with the added weight, but he only just turned 16 in January. He could grow into a mean defensive tackle with an explosive step off the line before it's all said and done. As far as his Miami interest, I'd expect him to commit almost instantly if offered.

raw-1.gif

Advertisement
Advertisement
amazing how much of an affect Colbert has had OFF the field for Miami. I really hope he has some success in the league

Colbert funny wasn't even on the roster this time last year an now he bleeds our colors . Says everything about him but also this staff man because they'reblowing these kids away

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back