The Work 7-30 (pre-camp notes)

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
TheWork.jpg

**The expectation less than a week away from camp is that Marquez Williams, the new scholarship fullback from D-II program Mars Hill (NC), will win the starting spot at his position. At about 5-11, 275, Williams is an absolute bruiser who Mark Richt badly needed for I-formation sets. He is already on campus and has been well received by the locker room. If he takes the starting role, it will have a ripple effect at the tight end spot, where you will likely see Chris Herndon featured more as the second tight end with David Njoku. Could that mean less Standish Dobard? I think so, because of Herndon’s versatility. Dobard will still have a role. Richt could elect to show I-formation with Herndon at fullback, and then Kaaya would have the option to flex Herndon out wide and switch to shotgun.

**I posted on the site last week that Ahmmon Richards was running in the 4.3s in testing. Not only was he showing his speed, but during strength testing last week, he was one of, if not, the strongest in the receivers group. That is stunning for a true freshman, but also an incredible sign for his chances to see the field early and often. He emerges very early in the season as a threat to opposing defenses.

**One thing I’ve gathered on offensive line coach Stacy Searels is his understanding of the game from every position. Multiple people have touted his knowledge and one source noted that he teaches the linemen “why” they have to do something according to what is happening in the play. Searels is big on his linemen understanding the concepts and reacting to what the defense is playing. Communication between the group seemed to be much improved over the spring and the hope is that it will continue now into the season.

**Similarly, I’ve heard that safeties coach Ephraim Banda and cornerbacks coach Mike Rumph have a portion of practice where the safeties play cornerback and vice versa. The idea of that is they want to get everyone comfortable in situations covering a player-type that they maybe aren’t used to covering. For example, you ideally don’t want Jamal Carter matched up against a quick slot receiver – you’d rather him cover a tight end or running back. But in game situations, Carter may be forced to cover someone who motions out to the boundary. Banda and Rumph hope that eventually most of them are versatile enough to play in any spot depending on the situation.

**Shaq Quarterman and Mike Pinckney…It’s time to let the dogs loose. Every single person around the program that I’ve spoken to fully expects these two to have little-to-no learning curve, especially since they have a grasp of the defense. The biggest part of the transition for them is over and Manny Diaz is entrusting them with two of the linebacker spots. They will not play like freshmen. These two are built differently mentally – they showed that during their first semester on campus. The lack of depth behind them is concerning, but Quarterman and Pinckney are ready to explode onto the scene.

Advertisement
Love this

Sounds like our D is going to be legit

I'm all for having 3 TEs on the field at once

It creates a huge mismatch problem for the opposing D

Advertisement
I like what im hearing about searels..hope them dogs up front eat, hopefully kool got dline...on same level..which im hearing good things. Just wanna see pressure from front 4

Like most of us football geeks knew.....ahmon will be the best of those 3 wrs....i like all three but cmon ahmon

Got a better feeling going into this season than I have in a long long time

Advertisement
With Herndon, and Njoku , coming out of the backfield, it's gonna cause lots of ruckus...Good shi*...

Thanks Pete!

No disrespect to Cager but ahmmon probably was gonna take his spot anyway. I honestly love our WR group of Coley, Harris, Richards, Bruce, Mullins

Advertisement
if there's ever been a season in which we had to rely on a few talented freshman at some key spots, this is that year.

with the way our schedule opens up, its the perfect opportunity for some of these young kids to get acclimated to the speed of the game. and the kids that are playing early, played ball against the fastest & best already anyway from being down here.

i fully expect shaq, pinckney, ahmmon, jojo, malek, and yes, even bruce to be more than ready to not just contribute, but excel. if we werent so deep at TE, id expect irvin to contribute a lot this year for us too.

this isnt gonna be a "young" squad that needs a year to rebuild. its built to plug the young talent in & win NOW.

Ahmmon Richards has the potential to be first team All-ACC as a Freshman. He'll probably even get more targets thrown his way considering most teams will put their #1 corner on Coley and only focus on him & Njoku in the scouting report. I think both Richards & Dayall will have a big year for us.

Pinckney at the Will & Grace on the Strongside is going to be huge for the Defense, gives us a lot of speed in containing the run plus tons of options in coverages.
Shaq at Mike will probably be a Defensive captain, that kid is a phenomenal talent & is the perfect fit to carry on the tradition of great MLB's at The U. I can't wait til he gets a clean shot at Dalvin Cook, hits him square in the chest plate & makes him cough that football up.

I actually think we're a lot better than we're being sold, Coaching is going to make all the difference in the world & with a much improved pass rush, the entire Defense is going to be elevated.

Last edited:
No disrespect to Cager but ahmmon probably was gonna take his spot anyway. I honestly love our WR group of Coley, Harris, Richards, Bruce, Mullins

Richards also take some pressure off Coley. I think Coley will flourish with Richards out there too.

Advertisement
Even without Cager we still have plenty of depth, Berrios is set to have a big year in the slot, especially on 3rd downs he'll be a major option.
I still think Malcolm Lewis can be the savvy veteran upperclassmen that can get some solid catches throughout the season.

View attachment 37115

**The expectation less than a week away from camp is that Marquez Williams, the new scholarship fullback from D-II program Mars Hill (NC), will win the starting spot at his position. At about 5-11, 275, Williams is an absolute bruiser who Mark Richt badly needed for I-formation sets. He is already on campus and has been well received by the locker room. If he takes the starting role, it will have a ripple effect at the tight end spot, where you will likely see Chris Herndon featured more as the second tight end with David Njoku. Could that mean less Standish Dobard? I think so, because of Herndon’s versatility. Dobard will still have a role. Richt could elect to show I-formation with Herndon at fullback, and then Kaaya would have the option to flex Herndon out wide and switch to shotgun.

**I posted on the site last week that Ahmmon Richards was running in the 4.3s in testing. Not only was he showing his speed, but during strength testing last week, he was one of, if not, the strongest in the receivers group. That is stunning for a true freshman, but also an incredible sign for his chances to see the field early and often. He emerges very early in the season as a threat to opposing defenses.

**One thing I’ve gathered on offensive line coach Stacy Searels is his understanding of the game from every position. Multiple people have touted his knowledge and one source noted that he teaches the linemen “why” they have to do something according to what is happening in the play. Searels is big on his linemen understanding the concepts and reacting to what the defense is playing. Communication between the group seemed to be much improved over the spring and the hope is that it will continue now into the season.

**Similarly, I’ve heard that safeties coach Ephraim Banda and cornerbacks coach Mike Rumph have a portion of practice where the safeties play cornerback and vice versa. The idea of that is they want to get everyone comfortable in situations covering a player-type that they maybe aren’t used to covering. For example, you ideally don’t want Jamal Carter matched up against a quick slot receiver – you’d rather him cover a tight end or running back. But in game situations, Carter may be forced to cover someone who motions out to the boundary. Banda and Rumph hope that eventually most of them are versatile enough to play in any spot depending on the situation.

**Shaq Quarterman and Mike Pinckney…It’s time to let the dogs loose. Every single person around the program that I’ve spoken to fully expects these two to have little-to-no learning curve, especially since they have a grasp of the defense. The biggest part of the transition for them is over and Manny Diaz is entrusting them with two of the linebacker spots. They will not play like freshmen. These two are built differently mentally – they showed that during their first semester on campus. The lack of depth behind them is concerning, but Quarterman and Pinckney are ready to explode onto the scene.

haha we will see

Advertisement
Back