The Work 7-13

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
**With Dredrick Snelson’s commitment to Miami yesterday, the Canes have already compiled what will be one of the top three receiver classes (2016) in the country if Bruce, Mullins, and Snelson stick. The next big WR target for 2016? Southridge prospect Freddie Pinder (6-5), who could emerge as a national prospect with a consistent season. It is possible that Pinder commits in the coming months. Miami expects Michael Irvin, Jr. to evolve into a TE prospect for those asking. He will also most likely be in the class. There is talk that 2016 Northeast WR Binjimen Victor will be committing to Alabama soon.

**I should be interviewing Jaason Lewis this week, but I also got a little more info on him in regards to Miami. The Canes view him as a jumbo WR/TE in the mold of Kellen Winslow, Jr. They see him as an all-purpose offensive weapon that they will be able to line up everywhere and create mismatches. They would even have a package that would allow him to take handoffs out of the backfield. Miami is very much in the picture.

**Despite most Miami fans continuing to worry about the DT situation, the staff is confident with where they are at right now. Moten is making waves already and they feel like he is as good as advertised, Wyche is a massive upgrade at nose tackle, and Calvin Heurtelou might be the strongest player on the team. Heurtelou’s counterparts at OL were raving about how tough he was to move by the end of spring ball. Also, the staff is very pleased with Courtel Jenkins’ progress early on. Jenkins is only a few pounds off of his goal weight and has grown (height) since the time Miami began recruiting him. As far as recruiting goes at the position, RJ McIntosh is currently weighing 275 pounds and Miami coaches believe he has the same sort of upside as Muhammad Wilkerson, who Golden and D’Onofrio groomed at Temple. They believe they are in the picture for Neville Gallimore as well and I should have some JUCO names later this week.

**I mentioned Devante Peete as a guy Miami still wants, but HurricaneGlory and I both have different sources telling us that there is major work he needs to do in the classroom. Just something to watch if his recruitment takes a weird turn. On the field, there is no question about his ability.

**I received a text from someone close to Calvin Ridley and Shawn Burgess-Becker and this person said, “No shot on those two right now” in regards to Miami. Like I’ve said, look for Miami to just try to stay in touch and make a push late.

**The Torrance Gibson situation is going to get very interesting. First to clear any speculation, yes Miami is recruiting him as a QB. They know that is what he wants to play so they will give him that opportunity in order to try to land him. Is his NFL position at WR? Probably so, but Miami is not dumb and knows they would have no chance if they recruited him as such. With Miami’s recent success landing impactful South Florida kids, look for that to play a major part in his decision. As I mentioned last week, Snelson could be the wild card here for the Canes.

**Your weekly Dexter Williams update… CanesInSight’s Nash Williams spoke to him this weekend and he continues to say he is sticking strong, but his actions are showing different. I’m told that Williams reached out to Notre Dame this past week expressing some concern about a potential crowded backfield at Miami. I’m not saying that Notre Dame is the team to watch for, but there is just a lot of things working against Miami and I still do not see him sticking. Read Nash’s interview with Williams here - http://www.canesinsight.com/threads/76354-Dexter-Williams-shoots-down-de-commitment-rumors

Twitter Questions
1) From @Miaballa99 - think we have any chance with Rick Deberry considering how weak we are at LB?
First off, I don’t necessarily think that Miami is “weak” at LB. There are some lack of experience/depth concerns I guess, but there is talent there. Grace, Kirby, Young, Owens along with of course Perryman is not a bad core at all. As far as DeBerry goes, it would be a near impossible pull, but he has stated in the past that he grew up as a Miami fan and he will be visiting this week so we will see what happens.

2) From @CarlBleich - if all the QBs were healthy...the QB depth chart would be what at the beginning of camp? Middle of season? Before the bowl?
Well, if all the QBs were healthy then Jake Heaps would not be here. Williams was going to start before the knee injury. Right now though, I would say that Heaps is the slight frontrunner to start. There is a good amount buzz around Kaaya right now, but I will hold off on giving him the edge to start because we need to see him in pads. Heaps would be the easy choice. I would be very surprised to see Olsen get the nod against Louisville. If Miami was confident in what they had in him, Heaps would not be here.

3) From @MarcoDiSilvio - what has to happen to land Jaquan Johnson?
I wouldn’t say there is a single event that Miami needs to happen or a pitch they need to sell. It will ultimately come down to if Johnson decides to listen to his family, who wants him at home. Miami is not worried if that says anything. I just don’t think he (Quan) is all that focused on the process right now. He has been on the map since freshman year and he is growing tired of it.

4) From @FBDR24 - better WR Ridley or Gibson?
Right now, it is Ridley without question. If you are asking about pure potential, I would go with Gibson. If he buys in to playing the position full-time and perfecting the craft, he is a top 10 NFL talent. He is so smooth and effortless it is scary. But at the moment, Ridley is a stud and just has more experience playing the position.

5) From @iamtinytimjr - is Mark Walton as strong with his commitment as it seems? There are strong rumors going around about him contacting UF!
That is not a rumor about Walton reaching out to UF – it is the truth. His commitment is very strong, but in today’s age of recruiting you can’t expect a kid to completely shut it down this early in the process. Factor that into the fact that he is still a 2016 kid and that makes him even more attractive to schools who realize there is a loooooong ways until February 2016.

Bonus Question from @jumbo1940 - I'm confused r u a heat fan or Knicks fan?

I appreciate the question, @jumbo1940. Here is my answer to that - http://www.mobypicture.com/user/PeterAriz/view/17085481

Bonus footage of the most explosive scorer in the league - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6hgLkaflwg

Last edited:
Advertisement
Miami should be worried about Johnson.

JR Smith is garbage and so are the Knicks.

Advertisement
Much appreciated, as always. Thanks, Pete.

I've viewed Irvin as a TE ever since I first watched his highlights, so that's not surprising at all. And Lewis looks like someone who would be perfect for the Jimmy Graham/Julius Thomas move TE role in the offense. Definitely prefer Lewis to Clarington.

I'd still be very surprised if Gibson seriously considers Miami by the time of his commitment announcement, but it's at least slightly intriguing that there seems to be optimism there.

Also surprising to see that the staff believes they're in the picture for Gallimore. Have to imagine the "near impossible" tag would apply to him as well.

Advertisement
IDK starting to think Gibson ends up here.. Kid could be a Brandon Marshall type if he focused squarely on WR...

i never thought Dexter would stick. UF bound imo

and i dont care what the staff says, im not sold on these DT's

**With Dredrick Snelson’s commitment to Miami yesterday, the Canes have already compiled what will be one of the top three receiver classes (2016) in the country if Bruce, Mullins, and Snelson stick. The next big WR target for 2016? Southridge prospect Freddie Pinder (6-5), who could emerge as a national prospect with a consistent season. It is possible that Pinder commits in the coming months. Miami expects Michael Irvin, Jr. to evolve into a TE prospect for those asking. He will also most likely be in the class. There is talk that 2016 Northeast WR Binjimen Victor will be committing to Alabama soon.

**I should be interviewing Jaason Lewis this week, but I also got a little more info on him in regards to Miami. The Canes view him as a jumbo WR/TE in the mold of Kellen Winslow, Jr. They see him as an all-purpose offensive weapon that they will be able to line up everywhere and create mismatches. They would even have a package that would allow him to take handoffs out of the backfield. Miami is very much in the picture.

**Despite most Miami fans continuing to worry about the DT situation, the staff is confident with where they are at right now. Moten is making waves already and they feel like he is as good as advertised, Wyche is a massive upgrade at nose tackle, and Calvin Heurtelou might be the strongest player on the team. Heurtelou’s counterparts at OL were raving about how tough he was to move by the end of spring ball. Also, the staff is very pleased with Courtel Jenkins’ progress early on. Jenkins is only a few pounds off of his goal weight and has grown (height) since the time Miami began recruiting him. As far as recruiting goes at the position, RJ McIntosh is currently weighing 275 pounds and Miami coaches believe he has the same sort of upside as Muhammad Wilkerson, who Golden and D’Onofrio groomed at Temple. They believe they are in the picture for Neville Gallimore as well and I should have some JUCO names later this week.

**I mentioned Devante Peete as a guy Miami still wants, but HurricaneGlory and I both have different sources telling us that there is major work he needs to do in the classroom. Just something to watch if his recruitment takes a weird turn. On the field, there is no question about his ability.

**I received a text from someone close to Calvin Ridley and Shawn Burgess-Becker and this person said, “No shot on those two right now” in regards to Miami. Like I’ve said, look for Miami to just try to stay in touch and make a push late.

**The Torrance Gibson situation is going to get very interesting. First to clear any speculation, yes Miami is recruiting him as a QB. They know that is what he wants to play so they will give him that opportunity in order to try to land him. Is his NFL position at WR? Probably so, but Miami is not dumb and knows they would have no chance if they recruited him as such. With Miami’s recent success landing impactful South Florida kids, look for that to play a major part in his decision. As I mentioned last week, Snelson could be the wild card here for the Canes.

**Your weekly Dexter Williams update… CanesInSight’s Nash Williams spoke to him this weekend and he continues to say he is sticking strong, but his actions are showing different. I’m told that Williams reached out to Notre Dame this past week expressing some concern about a potential crowded backfield at Miami. I’m not saying that Notre Dame is the team to watch for, but there is just a lot of things working against Miami and I still do not see him sticking. Read Nash’s interview with Williams here - http://www.canesinsight.com/threads/76354-Dexter-Williams-shoots-down-de-commitment-rumors

Twitter Questions
1) From @Miaballa99 - think we have any chance with Rick Deberry considering how weak we are at LB?
First off, I don’t necessarily think that Miami is “weak” at LB. There are some lack of experience/depth concerns I guess, but there is talent there. Grace, Kirby, Young, Owens along with of course Perryman is not a bad core at all. As far as DeBerry goes, it would be a near impossible pull, but he has stated in the past that he grew up as a Miami fan and he will be visiting this week so we will see what happens.

2) From @CarlBleich - if all the QBs were healthy...the QB depth chart would be what at the beginning of camp? Middle of season? Before the bowl?
Well, if all the QBs were healthy then Jake Heaps would not be here. Williams was going to start before the knee injury. Right now though, I would say that Heaps is the slight frontrunner to start. There is a good amount buzz around Kaaya right now, but I will hold off on giving him the edge to start because we need to see him in pads. Heaps would be the easy choice. I would be very surprised to see Olsen get the nod against Louisville. If Miami was confident in what they had in him, Heaps would not be here.

3) From @MarcoDiSilvio - what has to happen to land Jaquan Johnson?
I wouldn’t say there is a single event that Miami needs to happen or a pitch they need to sell. It will ultimately come down to if Johnson decides to listen to his family, who wants him at home. Miami is not worried if that says anything. I just don’t think he (Quan) is all that focused on the process right now. He has been on the map since freshman year and he is growing tired of it.

4) From @FBDR24 - better WR Ridley or Gibson?
Right now, it is Ridley without question. If you are asking about pure potential, I would go with Gibson. If he buys in to playing the position full-time and perfecting the craft, he is a top 10 NFL talent. He is so smooth and effortless it is scary. But at the moment, Ridley is a stud and just has more experience playing the position.

5) From @iamtinytimjr - is Mark Walton as strong with his commitment as it seems? There are strong rumors going around about him contacting UF!
That is not a rumor about Walton reaching out to UF – it is the truth. His commitment is very strong, but in today’s age of recruiting you can’t expect a kid to completely shut it down this early in the process. Factor that into the fact that he is still a 2016 kid and that makes him even more attractive to schools who realize there is a loooooong ways until February 2016.

Bonus Question from @jumbo1940 - I'm confused r u a heat fan or Knicks fan?

I appreciate the question, @jumbo1940. Here is my answer to that - http://www.mobypicture.com/user/PeterAriz/view/17085481

Bonus footage of the most explosive scorer in the league - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6hgLkaflwg

Jr smith is explosive, he 'll either blow up the opposing team or his own . No middle ground.

Advertisement
Advertisement
So if Jaason Lewis commits, that means they won't recruit Clarington? Or they take him and put him at defensive end?

You do know that Wade is going to resign right? Heat will win no less than 50 games this season

If we could get those 3 guys from Virginia, Lewis, Sweat, and that DT; I don't care who else is in this class as long as it has a few DBs.

Advertisement
Back