The what if game . . .

Randy Shannon signed the #1 class in 2008. That answers all your questions right there. SOME kids, like PP or PJ or whatever his name is today would have been a great individual player here. It wouldn't have made much of a difference, though. We'd still have stunk. He got better coaching where he went. Most kids that went elsewhere the last 15 years got better coaching where they went. That will change now.

And I agree, recruiting is the lifeblood of a program. However, without a competent coaching staff all that talent gets wasted on Saturdays.

You took the words right out of my mouth. The problem was the coaching, not the players.

You two guys may not be guilty of this but I read so many posts on this site that say the 2001 Team won the NC based on talent. Some don't seem to understand that you need both good players and good coaching.

I hear you, but I think the 2001 team is a little different in that most of those guys had a culture installed in them b4 Slappy took over. Those were Butch's kids, u feel me? Once Butch's kids started graduating, that culture left and each year it got worst and worst as far as on field production. Historically, we've always had "good" recruiting classes since 2000 as compared to other schools who've been winning recently (Oregon, TCU, Baylor, Iowa, etc)...but our problem is we haven't established a winning culture with coaching. Slappy was lazy on the recruiting front, and could not make an adjustment to save his life. Randy tried too much to be a disciplinarian and forgot coaching. Al.....no comment.

2001 team was more of a stars aligned anamoly vs the norm.

What people forget is that Coker maintained the entire staff that Butch had until 2004 then he let go of the core of the staff that was critical in developing these players.

Excellent point

Advertisement
There are a couple that would have been good anywhere.

Sean T Size, Speed and Ball Skills and not forget aggression are 1 in a million. Duke could have played db at UM his vision and feel for running is un questioned.

Amari cooper`s route running is spectacular and how light he is on his feet barely taking huge steps. Calvin Ridley`s acceleration can not be taught and he has a dawg mentality that even Hargreaves couldn`t see him in the sec championship game is key.

Some people just have something its unexplained and we missed a couple kids that had "it". Muhammed has it he is relentless and you can teach that we just have to let him unleash it.

You took the words right out of my mouth. The problem was the coaching, not the players.

You two guys may not be guilty of this but I read so many posts on this site that say the 2001 Team won the NC based on talent. Some don't seem to understand that you need both good players and good coaching.

I hear you, but I think the 2001 team is a little different in that most of those guys had a culture installed in them b4 Slappy took over. Those were Butch's kids, u feel me? Once Butch's kids started graduating, that culture left and each year it got worst and worst as far as on field production. Historically, we've always had "good" recruiting classes since 2000 as compared to other schools who've been winning recently (Oregon, TCU, Baylor, Iowa, etc)...but our problem is we haven't established a winning culture with coaching. Slappy was lazy on the recruiting front, and could not make an adjustment to save his life. Randy tried too much to be a disciplinarian and forgot coaching. Al.....no comment.

What people forget is that Coker maintained the entire staff that Butch had until 2004 then he let go of the core of the staff that was critical in developing these players.

Excellent point

See when you put this in to it's proper perspective, all of the players the poster that started this thread said we missed on, chances are we would have had them and they would have been developed properly if the staff would have remained the same prior to 2004 which you had Rob Chudzinski as OC, Randy Shannon as DC the Don and the cartel as the assistants. We were a powerhouse with the most 1 round picks to date. There is not a doubt those guys would have come here and we would have continued to be a major player on this level.

Last edited:
Randy Shannon signed the #1 class in 2008. That answers all your questions right there. SOME kids, like PP or PJ or whatever his name is today would have been a great individual player here. It wouldn't have made much of a difference, though. We'd still have stunk. He got better coaching where he went. Most kids that went elsewhere the last 15 years got better coaching where they went. That will change now.

And I agree, recruiting is the lifeblood of a program. However, without a competent coaching staff all that talent gets wasted on Saturdays.

Holy Truth! Couldn't agree more. Great post.

Go Canes!

You do need both. But that 2001 team was just in another world. Players basically ran the practices while Coker chaperoned them on gameday

Advertisement

You do need both. But that 2001 team was just in another world. Players basically ran the practices while Coker chaperoned them on gameday

Yo don't believe the hype. The coaching staff that Butch Davis put together didn't take know sh***. This was the same coaching staff that turned this team around during the probationary period. So don't think for one minute that those coaches were walked all over. Those coaches were well respected across the coaching community. You guys get caught up in the 30 for 30 film clips and see the players talking trash and wilding out and think that the coaches had know control and they were so good they could game plan, organize practice and call plays during games and play football all at the same time. But these coaches understood that these players could handle being coached hard, so therefore they allowed them to party hard. It was a work life balance type deal.

That coaching staff was the real deal. Today you see teams copying the way Miami practiced, recruiting speed, playing hybrid players at key positions, and having master teachers as position coaches and calling it there own. We have been down so long that we don't even recognize what was once ours so now other schools and divisions like SEC are now able to sell it back to us as something new when they stole it from us.

Last edited:

Yo don't believe the hype. The coaching staff that Butch Davis put together didn't take know sh***. This was the same coaching staff that turned this team around during the probationary period. So don't think for one minute that those coaches were walked all over. Those coaches were well respected across the coaching community. You guys get caught up in the 30 for 30 film clips and see the players talking trash and wilding out and think that the coaches had know control and they were so good they could game plan, organize practice and call plays during games and play football all at the same time. But these coaches understood that these players could handle being coached hard, so therefore they allowed them to party hard. It was a work life balance type deal.

That coaching staff was the real deal. Today you see teams copying the way Miami practiced, recruiting speed, playing hybrid players at key positions, and having master teachers as position coaches and calling it there own. We have been down so long that we don't even recognize what was once ours so now other schools and divisions like SEC are now able to sell it back to us as something new when they stole it from us.

preach

Advertisement
Back