The U: No Longer Top 50

Advertisement
Only idiots give the USNWR credence as an actual academic barometer.

“Best” in this case is not about academics.

Most of you don’t even have a clue what their ranking criteria is.

I'm not trying to disagree with you...but while those of us who are older can probably agree with you...a lot of people who are 18 and are trying to get into the highest-ranked school are not going to care that much.

If some magazine says F$U is good...and it's cheap...a lot of Florida kids are going to apply. And then F$U looks more selective (statistically). That's just reality.

100% correct but it’s bad optics. Especially for those from out of state who mostly compete with the UM being only a party school stigma.

Yes. Somehow, more people remember UM's #2 party school ranking in Playboy, or was it Princeton Review (over 30 years ago), than remember UM's #33 ranking in US News (over 10 years ago).

Florida Pre-Paid, Bright Futures and the insanely high cost of OOS tuition means the state of Florida is keeping more of it's kids home. All the state schools are much more competitive than they used to be. FSU got 60+ apps for their freshman class. UF's acceptance rate was barely 30%. Even UCF isn't a gimme anymore.

But, whatever. Fix the fooball program. Profit.
Bingo! That's also allowed UF to become more exclusive and helped them up the rankings without actually having to improve their academics. FSU is enjoying a similar trajectory.

When my daughter was in freshman orientation for the AICE program, they had the GPA's required for the FL public colleges. UF was the top with 4.1 - 4.5

Advertisement
I just luv the fact that we actually got a president named julio, with coach diaz being named the headcoach. If they don't renew julio's contract, here's who I recommend:

I'm not trying to disagree with you...but while those of us who are older can probably agree with you...a lot of people who are 18 and are trying to get into the highest-ranked school are not going to care that much.

If some magazine says F$U is good...and it's cheap...a lot of Florida kids are going to apply. And then F$U looks more selective (statistically). That's just reality.

If you’re not smart enough to know the difference between a popularity contest like the USNWR and other real academic rankings that are out there, then you deserve to go to FSU.

I know what looks better to an employer on a resume, and it’s not FSU

Marcus LePenis was right. Far too much time and money has been invested into football over these past couple years.

Time to put that E before the W.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back