The U Is Back, Back to Work

Advertisement
Macro view from Bruce Feldman on the changes at the U.

1652990334808.png

1652990344406.png

Advertisement
Again, thank God for 4th and 14…one desperation play, called by a coach with short-sighted and instant gratification needs, created a potential monster to his detriment, perhaps for years to come. He may even have sealed the future of Free Shoes to, well, just free shoes as the highlight of that program From hereon.

Again, thank God for 4th and 14…one desperation play, called by a coach with short-sighted and instant gratification needs, created a potential monster to his detriment, perhaps for years to come. He may even have sealed the future of Free Shoes to, well, just free shoes as the highlight of that program From hereon.
Exactly, Manny was not just playing checkers and chess but also 3D battleship - brilliant execution (in contrast to his gameplans and scheme plays etc) - he planned this all along - of course.

Advertisement
Pretty Much nothing new, but this is pretty much everything:

The Hire:
- Diaz may have been retained if he beat FSU, but We wanted Cristobal bad, and if Cristobal rejected us, Diaz was going to remain coach. There was no Plan B (No Lane/Orgeron/Whoever).
- Cristobal Hire was led by Rudy Fernandez and Joe Echevarria with help by Manny Kadre and Jose Mas.
- Day after they pitched Cristobal on returning, he told them he was coming home. He bought in to what Family, Friends, former teammates had been trying to convince him for weeks.
- Miami administration was serious about investing in Football facilities, stadium closer to campus, and biggest payroll for assistants and staff in ACC.
- Diaz wouldn't have received ALL the financial support Cristobal is going to. Staff funding yes, facilities? Unlikely.
- Seeds were planted since Fernandez saw us lose to FIU. But wasn't enough and too soon.
- Weeks after Herbstreit called administration out, Frenk callled Fernandez and told him to find a fix.
- Will spend more than $100M in Facilities upgrades.
- UHealth getting into the black freed up the Money for the University to invest in the next big endeavor = Football.
- Miami only sells tickets for 4 of 18 sports.
- Football pays for every other team (probably just not basketball and maybe baseball). And it plays a major role in schools marketing strategy.
- Ruiz has signed over 120 Miami Athletes to NIL Deals.

The Staff:
- Cristobal wanted to run a 4 Man Front defensively, not a 3-3-5.
- Cristobal has a deep contact list due to how many widespread candidate searches he's conducted in the past.
- One former assistant says he basically takes his sweet *** time to hire.
- DC Candidates were Doug Belk, Anthony Campanile, Glenn Schumann, Clint Hurtt (Confirmation insiders here were right in all the names)
- Saban really liked Steele and how he call games, articulate and connect with players.
- Addae has great ability to articulate fundamentals, technique, and scheme. Cristobal thinks he's definitely a future HC.
- Pure Power Spread is what Cristobal wanted the offense to be.
- Cristobal was impressed by Liam Coen (Rams OC now).
- Bradys name was thrown around, but he wanted to remain in NFL.
- Other rumored targets included Jason Candle, Kendal Briles, and Andy Ludwig.
- with those rumored targets, Cristobal said he was "talking to about six guys" but that "guaging interest doesn't neccessarily mean being offered a job" (*cough* Briles *cough*)
- Gattis visited Miami first weekend in February. Less than 24 hours after arriving he was offered job and accepted.
- Joe Moorhead and Saban both raved about Gattis.
- Gattis said he would not have taken Miami job under any other staff, if the facilities commitment wasn't there, and if he didn't think he could win a championship.
- 3 days after Gattis accepted, Cristobal was able to convince Ponce to leave his OC spot at App St.
- Says staff is layered to grow from within - Ponce as future OC probably.
- Got guys who gave up D1 On field jobs to be analysts.
Appreciate the detailed, but succinct cliff notes.

Exactly, Manny was not just playing checkers and chess but also 3D battleship - brilliant execution (in contrast to his gameplans and scheme plays etc) - he planned this all along - of course.
My bad for misleading you, I wasn’t clear in my post, but I was referring to Norvell…but you still gave me a laugh!

Advertisement
Advertisement
You'd have to be a miserable f*ck to focus on the fact there was no plan B if they didn't land Mario, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't notice that.
Here’s the thing. Fine there was no plan b other than stay the Course.

one thing though is neither they nor us got to experience what them trying to do plan b wise would have caused… a noise level they’ve never seen with an entire community literally DONE….

I don’t think plan b would have stuck when they saw that Rise and the recruiting class legit disappear.

too much pressure and smart people like Rudy would have had to help get to plan c

Here’s the thing. Fine there was no plan b other than stay the Course.

one thing though is neither they nor us got to experience what them trying to do plan b wise would have caused… a noise level they’ve never seen with an entire community literally DONE….

I don’t think plan b would have stuck when they saw that Rise and the recruiting class legit disappear.

too much pressure and smart people like Rudy would have had to help get to plan c
Could be. It's great we got our guy, but I still find it concerning that we never seem to do a legit search. Each time they say they're doing a search, but it quickly becomes clear they know who they want and are just going through the motions. I just don't think that's how they should be conducting business.

Advertisement
Back