The transfer Portal and Graduation

AtlAtty

Recruit
Maude
One issue I have not seen discussed anywhere is the negative impact the transfer portal will likely have on many kids ability to obtain a college degree.

First, as a general rule when a student transfers from college A to college B, the student will lose some credits.

Second, imagine the first point happening 2-3 times. How many credits will many of these kids have at the end of their 3rd year of college if they have already transferred a few times (Darrell Jackson as an example)?

Third, many kids will not receive any scholarship from the transfer portal. I have read estimates as high as 40%. Which means 40% of kids will leave a college where they had a full scholarship and not have a scholarship at the conclusion of the portal process.

3% of college football players will ever play in the NFL. The obvious math then is that 97% need to obtain a degree or they will have often wasted that opportunity. I am confident the vast majority will not return later in life to college. So is the portal good or bad for the 97% that need to obtain a degree? The verdict won’t arrive for another 4-5 years but I don’t like the direction this is going.

Advertisement
I'm generally anti-college as I think very few people actually benefit from a degree. The student loan epidemic also is a major issue for young people in our country.

I'm worried about student debt for these kids. Those that enter the portal with nowhere to land will end up at a hometown university or walking on somwehere and they'll inevitably end up with thousands in student debt based on mis guided direction of entering the portal.

I'm generally anti-college as I think very few people actually benefit from a degree. The student loan epidemic also is a major issue for young people in our country.

I'm worried about student debt for these kids. Those that enter the portal with nowhere to land will end up at a hometown university or walking on somwehere and they'll inevitably end up with thousands in student debt based on mis guided direction of entering the portal.
Correct. We know that the majority of college football players can’t afford to pay for college. And I concur 100% on student debt problems.

Advertisement
One issue I have not seen discussed anywhere is the negative impact the transfer portal will likely have on many kids ability to obtain a college degree.

First, as a general rule when a student transfers from college A to college B, the student will lose some credits.

Second, imagine the first point happening 2-3 times. How many credits will many of these kids have at the end of their 3rd year of college if they have already transferred a few times (Darrell Jackson as an example)?

Third, many kids will not receive any scholarship from the transfer portal. I have read estimates as high as 40%. Which means 40% of kids will leave a college where they had a full scholarship and not have a scholarship at the conclusion of the portal process.

3% of college football players will ever play in the NFL. The obvious math then is that 97% need to obtain a degree or they will have often wasted that opportunity. I am confident the vast majority will not return later in life to college. So is the portal good or bad for the 97% that need to obtain a degree? The verdict won’t arrive for another 4-5 years but I don’t like the direction this is going.
Yes, but remember that many of these kids are basically told to skedaddle, no? Or can they stay at a school even if they’re not on a roster?

Yes, but remember that many of these kids are basically told to skedaddle, no? Or can they stay at a school even if they’re not on a roster?
This is a great question. if its a 4 year scholarship as UM said it would start providing, as opposed to a 1 year renewable scholarship, then it would seem a player could jsut be a student and remain on campus.

The vast, vast majority of people have no business obtaining a 4-year college degree.

They should be learning how to do a specific task, with specific training.

Advertisement
The vast, vast majority of people have no business obtaining a 4-year college degree.

They should be learning how to do a specific task, with specific training.
What we’re in desperate need of are tradesmen - carpenters, plumbers, electricians, etc. They make a **** good living and are in high demand, Many I know work for themselves and can work as much as they want.

Last edited:

Or the greater majority will trick off the opportunity to obtain a degree on a school’s dime & wind up right back to where they started. That story happens more than often.

There’s a simple answer to this and that is if a kid from school goes into the transfer portal and doesn’t find a home he can stay at his existing school off of athletic scholarship and have his scholarship paid for until he graduates. The schools can afford it and it doesn’t count against the 85.

and for certain that should happen when a kid is told to leave the program

There’s a simple answer to this and that is if a kid from school goes into the transfer portal and doesn’t find a home he can stay at his existing school off of athletic scholarship and have his scholarship paid for until he graduates. The schools can afford it and it doesn’t count against the 85.

and for certain that should happen when a kid is told to leave the program
This is what should happen. Kids should not lose their ability to attend school on a scholarship because they aren’t as good as they, or the coaches expected, in their sport.

Advertisement

Not Applicable

If student A. is a D1 caliber football or basketball athlete, than student A. AIN’T no student in 99.8% of the cases ( outside of Ivy League & Military Academies ) .

It’s criminal ( justice; ) , but these young men are trading their futures ( & future earning potential ) for the potential of making a quick buck or having a great ride in their early 20’s ( Puss & Parties / Pseudo Celeb Status etc… )

Most will come out of the washer beaten up & in the exact same position minus the memories & inevitable divorce as if they would’ve just taken a job at the local hardware store.

Not Applicable

If student A. is a D1 caliber football or basketball athlete, than student A. AIN’T no student in 99.8% of the cases ( outside of Ivy League & Military Academies ) .

It’s criminal ( justice; ) , but these young men are trading their futures ( & future earning potential ) for the potential of making a quick buck or having a great ride in their early 20’s ( Puss & Parties / Pseudo Celeb Status etc… )

Most will come out of the washer beaten up & in the exact same position minus the memories & inevitable divorce as if they would’ve just taken a job at the local hardware store.

This is such an exaggeration. MANY D1 football and basketball players are good students who care about doing well in their classes.

This is such an exaggeration. MANY D1 football and basketball players are good students who care about doing well in their classes.

Your lips to God’s ears WF

I pray I’m completely off base, and these coddled young men are model students + members of their communities.

For every Demetrius Jackson there’s a dozen coulda, shoulda, wouldas floating around like lost sheep.

Like I said, I pray i’m over simplifying a very complex subject.

Advertisement
Your lips to God’s ears WF

I pray I’m completely off base, and these coddled young men are model students + members of their communities.

For every Demetrius Jackson there’s a dozen coulda, shoulda, wouldas floating around like lost sheep.

Like I said, I pray i’m over simplifying a very complex subject.

I think you're picturing a stereotypical Hollywood college athlete. A lot of those kids are good dudes who are pretty responsible.

I think you're picturing a stereotypical Hollywood college athlete. A lot of those kids are good dudes who are pretty responsible.
I think there is truth to what you and @Savage Cane are saying. Many athletes are good students, and many are not. But regardless, the ONLY chance most will have to obtain a college degree without going into debt is a scholarship. And many are unknowingly forfeiting their opportunity for a free education because they have deluded themselves or been deluded by others that there is a better playing opportunity somewhere else.

Facts. The transfer portal has helped the best players help the best teams. But the majority of these young men are losing out on an opportunity of a lifetime that they'll never get back.

The 1 year sitout rule actually protected these young men because it made them think twice before jumping into the "portal".

Advertisement
Back