The staff needs to be very judicious with offers this year

sigmar

Redshirt Freshman
Premium
If we get any sanctions we could be in the low teens next year

BTW, does anyone know how many RS Juniors we have next year, there is potential that we don't offer some of them a fifth year and open up some space since we only have 14 scholarships seniors

Advertisement
Saw somewhere else that Golden will be cutting the roster down from 91 players to 80 so I guessing that will help with schollies for next year

Saw somewhere else that Golden will be cutting the roster down from 91 players to 80 so I guessing that will help with schollies for next year

You are misreading that quote. Yes, he said that we would probably only have 80 scholie players. To assume that HE WOULD CUT THE ROSTER THAT LOW would be absurd. While he may suspect that some guys may move on (transfer), or be in grade trouble, it would be silly for him to INTENTIONALLY go below 85. He doesn't need to operate within a $ budget, and those 5, or so guys, would be good practice fodder, etc.

Next summer (2013) would be a different story. We could easily sign 20 - 25 guys to NLIs and THEN eliminate non-producers from the roster.

As I understood what Golden said, the 80 total was not a deliberate limit, it was simply a consequence of how the numbers worked out notwithstanding that he used up all the available 2011 and 2012 scholarships. He had 8 (or 9, I don't remember which) available from 2011, which he backfilled with the early enrollees. He still had the full complement of 25 for 2012, which he also utilized (if I have the numbers correct).

Still, that did not take him up to the full 85.

The NCAA could hit us a number of ways, I guess. Perhaps cut us down below the 85 for a number of years; also, it could also impose limits on the yearly number we can sign, perhaps cutting us down from the normal 25 to something in the high teens or low twenties.

That's why Golden was smart to fill up as much as possible the available 2011 and 2012 slots before we are reduced in the future. I don't think it's necessarily true that we could sign 20-25 "next summer (2013)" because it all depends on whether or not the NCAA cuts us down from 25, and how much it cuts. The fact we would be under 85 would not allow us to add back to the yearly total any slots we are under 85.

There are a lot of ways the NCAA can hit us, by cutting down yearly numbers from the 25 limit, or from the overall total of 85.

Of course, I guess we could add to the lowered yearly total, as btcane seems to suggest, based on attrition.

I'm not necessarily one who shares the opinion that we will come off lightly with the NCAA. I haven't followed the matter as closely as a lot of people, and perhaps it is true that the NCAA investigators have had trouble verifying many of Shapiro's allegations, and that the NCAA wants to shift it's focus to punishing wrongdoers, not the institution, but I remember how badly the NCAA hit us in the '90's. It was a shock, and I don't know how we survived.

Perhaps some others have a better understanding of the numbers and limits. I don't pretend to be an expert. If I'm wrong, please correct me.

If we get any sanctions we could be in the low teens next year

BTW, does anyone know how many RS Juniors we have next year, there is potential that we don't offer some of them a fifth year and open up some space since we only have 14 scholarships seniors

I would guess Dye, Shayon, Highsmith, Jermaine Johnson, Luther, Sanders, and White have all been told to make sure they graduate before the 2013 season. So that is 7 possible guys that don't get a 5th year. The only ones that I didn't include are Wheeler, Bunch, and Porter.

Advertisement
Highsmith will be a senior this coming season. The staff would never cut him anyways,

Highsmith will be a senior this coming season. The staff would never cut him anyways,

He might be the only kid i would be mad about being cut

Kid has done everything right and basically gave up any shot at a career to plug holes in shannons incompetence dam

Highsmith never deserved a Miami offer in the first place. His dad is a Cane, he does all the right things...ya, and he sucks. You guys sound like Corch...

He had no shot at QB, and he has very little shot at safety. MAYBE he becomes a master of the defense and gets into the right places at the right time, but he ain't a top flight safety by any means.

Advertisement
I'm not necessarily one who shares the opinion that we will come off lightly with the NCAA. I haven't followed the matter as closely as a lot of people, and perhaps it is true that the NCAA investigators have had trouble verifying many of Shapiro's allegations, and that the NCAA wants to shift it's focus to punishing wrongdoers, not the institution, but I remember how badly the NCAA hit us in the '90's. It was a shock, and I don't know how we survived.

Perhaps some others have a better understanding of the numbers and limits. I don't pretend to be an expert. If I'm wrong, please correct me.

I agree on the '90s sanctions. To go from National Champion to Big East punching bag to National Champion in one decade is not a very common occurrence. The experience with Butch is also very instructive: a depleted roster coupled with a coach who is an exceptional evaluator, recruiter, and developer of talent can lead to good things. Of course, the burden of proof is on Golden, but I see the kind of dynamic guy who could re-energize this program even if some bad sanctions come down. That having been said, I'm going to guess that we receive punishment somewhere between the levels of USC and *OSU. I hope it's less.

And it's funny (in a very dark way) that Larry Coker did more damage to the program than the NCAA. Go figure.

Going to 80 this year instead of 85 doesn't help our numbers next year if they are seniors, instead of having 14 players graduate we will have 9, still 14 spots. My thinking is attrition will be low and maybe a few red shirt juniors not renewed for a 5th year could take us into the high teens or 20. My guess is also if we have any non quals this year they will take up a spot next year so we break even on that

Advertisement
Going to 80 this year instead of 85 doesn't help our numbers next year if they are seniors, instead of having 14 players graduate we will have 9, still 14 spots. My thinking is attrition will be low and maybe a few red shirt juniors not renewed for a 5th year could take us into the high teens or 20. My guess is also if we have any non quals this year they will take up a spot next year so we break even on that

It seems like there is always some attrition, more than I think there would be. If we could get in the high teens or even to 20 that would be a decent sized class.

Is Darion Hall gone? Is that a fait accompli?

And he should be allowed to stay as lond as he wants after RS screwed him over keeping at QB for 2 years because he couldn't recruit a back-up to Jacory.

Advertisement
I like Highsmith. A **** good teammate and one who sets a great example of what it means to be a hurricane. Total team player and works his *** off.

I agree with CanesFan1899 and umhurricane2511. He sacrificed his freshman year at a position he was never going to play. That's taking one for the team. Shannon **** near cost the kid a second year before the - cough, cough - "injury" saved his second year. Highsmith deserves a chance, and a 5th year in 2013 if he wants it.

I'm all for cutting dead weight. You have to contribute something. But it's not just about playing time and what we see in games. Sometimes it's better to keep a guy on the team that is leader, hard worker, and respected highly by his teammates, whether he sees the field or not. Keeping a guy like Highsmith, who is all of the those things, can help keep the locker room together. If you tell a kid like this to walk, you can really hurt your team more than help it. It's one thing if the kid isn't working hard and isn't providing leadership, on top of not seeing the field. But keeping 2-3 5th year guys whose only contributions are leadership and hard work, is going to help the team more than hurt it. This team has lacked vocal leaders for the last 5 years, IMO. Guys like Highsmith can can help provide leadership to what will be a very young team for the next 2 seasons.

Speaking of leadership, Morris needs to step up and be more of a leader IMO. I think he has a lot of talent and could potential have a great year. But he needs to grab the reins whens he's in there. If it were me who threw that pick 6 against Maryland I would have been livid. I would have been up in Streeters face asking him what the **** was that route. There's no route where you run 5 yards downfield, turn around and drift backwards away from the QB. Watch guys like Luck, Moore, Manning, Brady and Rodgers when their WR's pull that ****....they don't put their head down and jog to the sideline. They don't pout. They run over to their guy and tell them that's not the right route and that **** can't happen and get it corrected.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back