The stadium heat (and a PSA)

Yes once in the upper and shaded areas of the stadium you were fine. The breeze flows really nicely through everything, water is everywhere etc.

But from the stadium if you looked out over the parking you could literally see the heat radiating off all the cars and steadily microwaving everyone still out there.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Seems like it’s some people’s first time dealing with south Florida weather.
You mean sitting out in SFL weather for 3 hours straight, drinking, and surrounded by nothing but cars and concrete further reflecting and amplifying the heat? For most of the younger crowd, probably yes and completely unsarcastically. This team has sucked, I myself hadn’t been to a game since Richt and should have brought more water and ice than I did.

I honestly think the southern Florida sun is and always has been one of the major factors affecting attendance, possibly the main factor. Unless you have some nice shade, it simply isn't nice to be outside here from about 9AM-4PM for a significant part of the year. **** there are even days in December and January with temps in the mid 80s that aren't that comfortable under the noon sun.

I think back to the Orange Bowl days. Those noon games would almost never come close to being sellouts - only if we happened to be playing FSU, UF or ND. Even a bit further back when the Dolphins were Super Bowl contenders and played in the OB, few of those 1PM games were ever sellouts, while the rare 4PM games were better attended and Monday night games were obviously really big deals. It's the sun. No one wants to sit out in it other than 20 year old college girls working on their tans. It's mostly a southern Florida thing, too. Noon in Ann Arbor, MI in September could be pretty pleasant, yet even for our games in November, there is zero guarantee that a daytime game still won't be hot.

I was very little at the time, but I think my hottest game was in 1984, the game when we got blown out at home by FSU. I seem to remember it raining pretty hard for a while, then the sun came out right after and the steam room effect was just off the chart. One of the worst games I've ever attended, probably top 5 worst.

The hottest I've ever been to was the NC State game (Dorsett game winner).

Holy **** if that hadn't been a back and forth game I would've dipped.

This. I remember that game very specifically for two things: the heat and the Dorsett game winning catch. I baked like a Publix chicken in that game. And I drank plenty of water too.

Advertisement
I don’t know what other schools do or what we do but Ucf has a thing with your student ID you get a $2 water and $2 hot dog. The water especially is a good thing lol

Agree with OP
student section and whole side is ******* **** in Sep and Oct 12 to 6
i expect us to be better by lot.. which should bring more 7:00 pm games, more people and justice to season ticket holders in the ” **** side of the rock”

Advertisement
Advertisement
I honestly think the southern Florida sun is and always has been one of the major factors affecting attendance, possibly the main factor. Unless you have some nice shade, it simply isn't nice to be outside here from about 9AM-4PM for a significant part of the year. **** there are even days in December and January with temps in the mid 80s that aren't that comfortable under the noon sun.

I think back to the Orange Bowl days. Those noon games would almost never come close to being sellouts - only if we happened to be playing FSU, UF or ND. Even a bit further back when the Dolphins were Super Bowl contenders and played in the OB, few of those 1PM games were ever sellouts, while the rare 4PM games were better attended and Monday night games were obviously really big deals. It's the sun. No one wants to sit out in it other than 20 year old college girls working on their tans. It's mostly a southern Florida thing, too. Noon in Ann Arbor, MI in September could be pretty pleasant, yet even for our games in November, there is zero guarantee that a daytime game still won't be hot.

I was very little at the time, but I think my hottest game was in 1984, the game when we got blown out at home by FSU. I seem to remember it raining pretty hard for a while, then the sun came out right after and the steam room effect was just off the chart. One of the worst games I've ever attended, probably top 5 worst.
2000 and 2002 UM vs FSU games were HOT af....

U seen UCLA game, dem man stayed home. They said F it. The heat was palpable, walking up to the stadium, u felt it coming up from the pavement. That's also why even though price is a big plus I had to get 300s season tix. My wife woulda quit and said no Mas, being from Minnesota. She kept mentioning that at the game. Man talking bout new stadium, it better be covered cuz no matter how good a fan you are going to a noon game in 150 degree Temps is a challenge and in some ways a deterrent.
You ain’t lying lol, was hot AF walking up there boi HAHAHAAA.

Advertisement
Back