The shame is everywhere... truly us against the world again... golf story

Yoyo82

Recruit
Premium
Whoops posted to wrong board... please move....

So yesterday I was out playing golf at a beautiful course in Northern Virginia (RTJ for you golf fans.. Humble brag. But I shot a 95, so not so much). I always use a Miami Hurricanes "U" logo ball marker.
This is one of those fancier courses where we have caddies.
Hole number one I put my approach shot into the green and mark my ball and the caddie asks for the ball so he can clean it. He walks up to help read my putt and sees my ball marker ... he says "is that U, like the U?! Miami?!" I say "yep!" He says, "how stupid is your coach that he can't take a knee?!"

This guy works as a caddie at a fancy golf course in Northern Virginia and also works at a Marriott hotel..has no connection at all to college football (he is also an SEC baseball ref during their season) and he immediately responded with such disgust towards our program because of the U logo on my ball marker.

Maybe this is what the program needed to get internally focused again?

Let's hope!

1000013386.jpg

Last edited:
Advertisement
Played a member guest there earlier this year, awesome course

Played a couple RTJ's in Alabama. Didn't realize there was one in Northern Virgina. RTJ in Huntsville, was my first round at a course that wasn't local to me. Right when I first started playing... and shot just shy of a 110. 108/109 or something.

In regards to what the team needed to refocus... would have been nice to escape that with a W and learn the same lesson. Good teams usually get that luxury.

So yesterday I was out playing golf at a beautiful course in Northern Virginia (RTJ for you golf fans.. Humble brag. But I shot a 95, so not so much). I always use a Miami hurricanes "U" logo ball marker.
Hole number one I put my approach shot into the green and mark my ball and the caddie asks for the ball so he can clean it. He walks up to help read my putt and sees my ball marker ... he says "is that U, like the U?! Miami?!" I say "yep!" He says, "how stupid is your coach that he can't take a knee?!"

This guy works as a caddie at a fancy golf course in Northern Virginia and also works at a Marriott hotel..has no connection at all to college football (he is also an SEC baseball ref during their season) and he immediately responded with such disgust towards our program because of the U logo on my ball marker.

Let's hope!

View attachment 261009
Hope you reduced the tip. Nice course though.

Advertisement
Played a couple RTJ's in Alabama. Didn't realize there was one in Northern Virgina. RTJ in Huntsville, was my first round at a course that wasn't local to me. Right when I first started playing... and shot just shy of a 110. 108/109 or something.

In regards to what the team needed to refocus... would have been nice to escape that with a W and learn the same lesson. Good teams usually get that luxury.
This is RTJ golf club... his masterpiece.. pretty exclusive private club not a part of the RTJ trail.

Agreed on the focus... but I doubt any players or coaches can really go anywhere "safe" right now in public to get a way from the noise..hopefully they all turn inward towards each other and get a renewed and burning focus that we haven't seen in years because of it.

It was one of the most boneheaded decisions in cfb history that doesnt happen often and have the outcome happen like that. It will be remembered for a looooooong time. If anything Cristobal has immortalized himself, hopefully he wins a championship

Yup and we should have stole back that win with JW20s int we turned into 3 points and the lead we should have “kneeed” on….

Respectable score… never fails when i try any new course I can never break 100.

It was one of the most boneheaded decisions in cfb history that doesnt happen often and have the outcome happen like that. It will be remembered for a looooooong time. If anything Cristobal has immortalized himself, hopefully he wins a championship
It would literally be the headline the following day if he won a championship in 2030 - "From the worst decision in the history of college football to national champion"

It will never be lived down. Right up there with not handing the ball to Lynch at the goal line, Bill Buckner's error in the '86 world series, etc. that still live on and get talked about. Only difference is it wasn't at the highest stage in the game.

Advertisement
This is RTJ golf club... his masterpiece.. pretty exclusive private club not a part of the RTJ trail.

Agreed on the focus... but I doubt any players or coaches can really go anywhere "safe" right now in public to get a way from the noise..hopefully they all turn inward towards each other and get a renewed and burning focus that we haven't seen in years because of it.
Someone told me it was in Gainesville and I knew it wasn't in Florida so I assumed it was Gainesville, Georgia.

Just realized it is Gainesville, Virginia.. learn something new every day. I've went several years with that assumption.

I work out at Orangetheory sometimes, I wear UM clothes in there all the time and yesterday my shoe comes untied on the treadmill. So I hit the pause button (shoutout @Confidence1000) and when it slows down I jump off, sit on the back of the belt, and tie my shoe.

Some guy who I barely know yells at me from 30 feet away, "Yo are you taking a knee?!". Another guy laughs, too. Thanks a lot, Mario.

I work out at Orangetheory sometimes, I wear UM clothes in there all the time and yesterday my shoe comes untied on the treadmill. So I hit the pause button (shoutout @Confidence1000) and when it slows down I jump off, sit on the back of the belt, and tie my shoe.

Some guy who I barely know yells at me from 30 feet away, "Yo are you taking a knee?!". Another guy laughs, too. Thanks a lot, Mario.
The notoriety from that decision has reached levels and people unheard of. Shows the U brand is strong and people want to hate us.

Advertisement
It would literally be the headline the following day if he won a championship in 2030 - "From the worst decision in the history of college football to national champion"

It will never be lived down. Right up there with not handing the ball to Lynch at the goal line, Bill Buckner's error in the '86 world series, etc. that still live on and get talked about. Only difference is it wasn't at the highest stage in the game.
Can't blame Buckner entirely....Blame Shiraldi for giving up 3 straight singles....then Blame Stanley for the Wild pitch that scored Kevin Mitchell to tie it up....

Advertisement

Came into my office Monday morning.. I will preface it by saying I'm a 49ers fan and can't stand Kaepernick and they know that

I had 20-30 print outs of Kaepernick kneeling taped all over the place and on my white board someone wrote "Now you want to kneel?"

They also had a print out of an article with a quote from Mike Tomlin that said "There will be no kneeling on the field" and wrote - "Did Mario misinterpret this?"

Luckily I'm traveling this week for work so maybe it will die down if we can beat UNC

Can't blame Buckner entirely....Blame Shiraldi for giving up 3 straight singles....then Blame Stanley for the Wild pitch that scored Kevin Mitchell to tie it up....
Buckner was also injured (knee or ankle?) and his manager only put him on the field in the 9th just to basically be included when they won it, right? I wasn't alive but that's what I always thought had happened.

So yesterday I was out playing golf at a beautiful course in Northern Virginia (RTJ for you golf fans.. Humble brag. But I shot a 95, so not so much). I always use a Miami Hurricanes "U" logo ball marker.

Let's hope!

View attachment 261009
Does he realize he's a caddy?

Buckner was also injured (knee or ankle?) and his manager only put him on the field in the 9th just to basically be included when they won it, right? I wasn't alive but that's what I always thought had happened.
Yeah..I'm not saying Buckner gets off Scott free....as a 1st baseman you NEVER field a ball like that ESPECIALLY with a man on third that'll win the game, but, McNamara took Shiraldi out after 3 straight singles, then brought Stanley in who throws a Wild pitch.

Advertisement
Back