The Schemes (Rant)

D

deleted1562

Offense - "Let's change everything once we finally start clicking a little"

First half we ran crossing routes to the middle of the field (Berrios + Malcolm), hit TEs up the seem (Walford was beasting), spread out the field, and used play action to open up the run and give Kaaya time. Our offense actually looked solid aside from the one pick and we capitalized on the fumble.

Second half we reverted back to the same **** that has never worked -- bubble screens every play, rolling Kaaya out to his weak side, and avoiding the middle of the field at all costs. We caught a number of lucky breaks which kept the game within reach but our offense looked significantly worse in the second half.

What the **** are these coaches doing with this offense? Let's change everything when we finally look decent...

Defense - "Let's never change anything even when we're getting obliterated"

Jesus. *******. Christ. After Louisville, where we somehow actually looked halfway decent, it's deja vu all over again. They were going to run it every play. Literally every play. They probably threw ten passes all game of which half were dropped or picked. They clearly wanted to run because they suck at throwing. What do we do? Let them run. Don't try and stop their best players. Don't force them into uncomfortable situations. Let's put 6 in the box and spread out the field when there's a 95% chance Ameer Abdullah is gonna run it up the middle for 8 yards. Don't try to adjust whatsoever.

Solution

Fire everyone. The coaching is abysmal. I feel awful for these kids cause it's a talented group and a number of them will be great in the pros. The coaches simply don't know what they're doing and can't put the kids in positions where they can succeed.

I even watched the game with a neutral group of people who all thought Golden was leading the team in the right direction heading into the game. I told them to watch the game. By the end of it they all agreed he's soft and he's making the team soft. Golden and his staff just don't know how to coach at this level.

I'm onboard for Butch Davis.

A few positives

Kaaya will be very good. This experience is gonna be invaluable and he has at least two more years. Walford looks great when we decide to throw to him (aside from the interception when it looked like he lost the ball and didn't try for it). Thurston is earning a paycheck. Duke played well but that fumble killed us. Berrios looked good as usual. Malcolm looked like what we all thought Malcolm would look like. We finally showed some emotion when we were scrapping.

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
We only got Coley and Dorsett the ball 4 times. We haven't thrown the ball down field to Coley one time this year. If I have any gripe with Coley, it's for this. We have two dynamic WRs but **** all that, let's throw screens and stretch plays.

clicking a little? they never clicked. the game started with a long drive for a td and ended with a drive for a td

Advertisement
Maybe Golden is just the ultimate Penn St. troll and is subjecting us to this defense for funzies

nebraska last 40 plays 37 rushes 3 passes

what happens when you rush on a Butch Davis defense 90% of the time?

Considering their success, does everyone realize how insane that is?

92% of the time, Lu. We never adjusted. Never put a back up or moved a safety into a box. No run blitzes, not nothing. It's seriously ******* insane to think about. 92%!

Advertisement
After Louisville, where we somehow actually looked halfway decent,

We looked about as halfway decent as FIU did today. Shockingly similar numbers.

Not shocking at all, actually.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back