The Savvy Investment Behind Washington’s College Football Title Run

I was at UW defensive coaching clinic last year. Their defense and mainly secondary philosophy is next level. The way corners attack the screens/hitches to how they bracket with their safeties over the top always trying to outnumber wr numbers is why they dominate. Their approach is simple and effective.

Advertisement
DeBoer is like 110-10 in his career so it's not like he sucks and the assistants do everything. Good strategy if you can get the head coach to go along with it obviously.

The trick is to find individuals who can actually DEVELOP the talent you bring in and individuals who are X&O’s savvy.

That’s cute and all but it won’t last. DeBoer is about to get a major raise or he’s gonna be coaching somewhere else. Grubb isn’t long for his own HC gig either.

This isn’t the 80s. There are no more innovative ideas changing the game. If one of the big boys doesn’t have it, they just pay for it. It’s why modern day dynasties are impossible to sustain at non blue blood schools.
This aged like fine wine

Advertisement
If Mario took the advice to heart… he’d bring the talent and the attitude. He’s already proven that. He needs to go hands off of the offense, except the OL.

This aged like fine wine
Lol the “strategy” essentially was hire a p5 inexperienced coach and give him good assistants. No **** that if that coach turns out great the strategy worked. What people leave out is that is a 3yr strategy exclusively. You’re either paying up after or doing it all over again cause it failed, or doing it all over again cause it succeeded lol.

I just love that I’ve had Duck, Longhorn & Seminole fans claiming they fought off Bama for their coach.

Grand delusion warms the ****les of my heart.

(Oddly I haven’t seen any Ole Miss fans say it. I actually think they know better which is refreshing)

Advertisement
Lol the “strategy” essentially was hire a p5 inexperienced coach and give him good assistants. No **** that if that coach turns out great the strategy worked. What people leave out is that is a 3yr strategy exclusively. You’re either paying up after or doing it all over again cause it failed, or doing it all over again cause it succeeded lol.
Yea I mean it wasn’t rocket science that’s for sure. That’s why I said it was cute but it would never last. The strategy for non blue bloods should always be hiring offensive guys. If you can’t put talent somebody, you have to out scheme and outscore.

That’s cute and all but it won’t last. DeBoer is about to get a major raise or he’s gonna be coaching somewhere else. Grubb isn’t long for his own HC gig either.

This isn’t the 80s. There are no more innovative ideas changing the game. If one of the big boys doesn’t have it, they just pay for it. It’s why modern day dynasties are impossible to sustain at non blue blood schools.

There never were.

There's a reason the expression, "there's nothing new in football" is such a cliche'.

Give me any offensive or defensive system, play series, or philosophy: (the Spread, the Power Spread, the Bear 46, the West Coast Offense, the Air Raid, Zone Read, etc etc.) .... and I will give you a history lesson on how it was just stolen from someone else who did it 40+ years prior.

Advertisement
There never were.

There's a reason the expression, "there's nothing new in football" is such a cliche'.

Give me any offensive or defensive system, play series, or philosophy: (the Spread, the Power Spread, the Bear 46, the West Coast Offense, the Air Raid, Zone Read, etc etc.) .... and I will give you a history lesson on how it was just stolen from someone else who did it 40+ years prior.
I agree with the expression. For everything, not just football. The game itself isn’t the same though. The NFL stealing an offense from college is innovative to the NFL. The one back offense and the spread was innovative to the college game at that time. Doesn’t mean it hasn’t been done before.

I just hate when coaches don't blame everyone that was there before them. I mean who does that ******* think he is winning immediately with a team that was 4-8 before he was hired. It takes at least 3 years to get rid of the "bad" culture.
This should be an automated response option to Mariobros when they mention culture

Is it not ironic that the comparison was made to harbaugh, who just beat them for a national championship?
So 50% of HC salary is fine, but 14% is not, but that team won…sooooo?

All these discussions around what are the nuances of winning a championship are so overrated.
Recruit well, develop (holistically) well, and coach (holistically) well. Do 2 of those 3 things at an elite level and you are around the mark.

Advertisement
There never were.

That’s exactly what Schnelly did 40 years ago with his pro style offense. That being said, no doubt nothing would surprise coaches these days except a team reverting to the Wing-T.

Advertisement
Back