The sacrifice discussion

CBurrr93

Sophomore
I played the sport religiously throughout the last 21 years, and have studied the game. I'm not one to say I am right all of the time or anything like that. But I truly believe the sacrifice bunt just giving up an out and moving the runner one base is not the smart move. It seems to be Morris's game though the last several years.

So..... your opinion? sacrifice smart or no. I am strongly against it early in the game. Need outs and big innings.

Advertisement
Most college teams use it. Morris isn't on an island. Consider the fact that hitting was dead up til this year it made sense in the past all the time. Less so now, but it's still the correct move often enough. Last night I didn't like the first sacrifice, but asking Heyward to move the runner to third was the correct call with no outs. Heyward just didn't execute it, and thank God he handled himself as a hitter.

All depends on the situation. Inning, score, who's up to bat, who's on deck, who's on base, etc.. Really can't intelligently answer your question. There have been numerous times over the last couple years that Morris has called for a sacrifice bunt when it wasn't necessary IMO. I am all for it in the later innings (6th and later) when you need a run and it can help put you in position to score. We, however, have too many good base stealers, that can advance a base without the use of a sacrifice.

Most college teams use it. Morris isn't on an island. Consider the fact that hitting was dead up til this year it made sense in the past all the time. Less so now, but it's still the correct move often enough. Last night I didn't like the first sacrifice, but asking Heyward to move the runner to third was the correct call with no outs. Heyward just didn't execute it, and thank God he handled himself as a hitter.

Completely agree with Heyward bunting in the 9th.

Advertisement
I played the sport religiously throughout the last 21 years, and have studied the game. I'm not one to say I am right all of the time or anything like that. But I truly believe the sacrifice bunt just giving up an out and moving the runner one base is not the smart move. It seems to be Morris's game though the last several years.

So..... your opinion? sacrifice smart or no. I am strongly against it early in the game. Need outs and big innings.

Second to third, it is absolutely the right call, especially when one run can make the difference. I am not a fan of bunting from first to second unless the batter is some weak-hitting defensive wizard shortstop who is overmatched.

Second to third, it is absolutely the right call, especially when one run can make the difference. I am not a fan of bunting from first to second unless the batter is some weak-hitting defensive wizard shortstop who is overmatched.

x2.

this topic is like a sctrached record, the point is we always come to this discussion after games where UM is hitting like crap, is in a close game late, and Morris is doing it to get a go ahead or insurance run.. Arky was doing it also yesterday

Advertisement
this topic is like a sctrached record, the point is we always come to this discussion after games where UM is hitting like crap, is in a close game late, and Morris is doing it to get a go ahead or insurance run.. Arky was doing it also yesterday

Sacrificing Iskenderian was a horrible call, no matter the time, date, inning, or situation.

Sacrificing Iskenderian was a horrible call, no matter the time, date, inning, or situation.

exactly my point. Up by a run, no outs best hitter up. You dont give up an out in my opinion. Obviously late in the game needing one run is a different story.

I hate giving up outs as much as anyone, but shouldn't the 5 errors in 2 games deserve a hate thread more than the bunts?

Iskendarian has not exactly been lighting it up lately. I believe his average has dropped 30 points in the post-season,

Advertisement
yes. The defense for the last 5 years has been about as bad as it can get. Watching virginia make every play against the gates yesterday was refreshing to watch. We boot it all over the yard.

The only thing that I can say about when Iskendarian bunted last night that I could see as a possibility for justification: If he grounded into a double play then David Thompson wasn't going to hit that inning. It was the sixth inning as well so staying out of a double play meant that Thompson was hitting at least 2 more times that game no matter what.

The way the pitching was last night I would take that chance to at least know that if we get shut down the next couple innings that my best hitter, arguably the best in the country would step up to the plate in the 9th inning. Also, he would be coming up to bat with that runner in scoring position.

I play college ball right now and we bunt religiously, I think we led D2 in sac bunts this year. I don't like it, but there is a time for it regardless of how you play, long ball or small ball. I didn't agree with it last night but if you think about it Iskendarian is struggling in the post season and we got Thompson to the plate to give him a chance.

Advertisement
Money ball vs. Get em on, Get em over, Get em in.

There is a time and place for everything. Heyward was the right call IMO. I did not like the Iskenderian sac, but it is something you see quite a bit in college baseball -- Arky did it and I have seen UF do it successfully several times.

There were a lot of hard hit balls by Canes' hitters yesterday that were outs. Not the same scenario in some of the weak hitting games we have discussed in the last month where there were tons of K's and offbalanced pop ups. Not to say there were none of those or that we should not have done a better job with runners in scoring position.

I also agree that pro-baseball players don't get paid to bunt unless they are pitchers or middle infielders who hit like pitchers. Bunting at that level has almost become a lost art. They won't even bunt against the shifts to help themselves out.

Advertisement
Back