The Ringer article on roster makeup

It’s not locking down So Fla; it’s locking down the best players in So Fla & adding the best players Nationally.
I agree but I don't mean just acquiring talent, I mean blocking other schools from said talent as well. We do this right and we drive some of these interlopers off our land.

Advertisement
I'll just add that recruiting rankings are pretty flawed in itself. Also, not denying we need more, we absolutely do, at every position every year.

I want to say it was @Cryptical Envelopment @DMoney @Cribby or someone who post often and is knowledgeable, that may have posted this, but if you look at the 4 and 5 star kids in, we'll use Rivals, is about 300 a year, which is higher then the number of all players drafted in 1 year! So of course half of the 1st round will be 4 or 5 star kids. They cast a wide net and say, look we got this person right (Greg Rousseau is a great example, he was a low 4 star 5.8 and only after he committed to us). So they were taking a flyer, but they didn't know anything about him, or his projection to a DE, simply were following the offers. Mind you, I don't think Manny knew he'd be that good otherwise his eye for talent would have been the same for all the other ends on the team.

Yeah that's me, I've been screaming it from the hilltops for ages. My dead grandmother can tell you who the very best players on the field are. Who is 6-4 and 255 and who runs a 4.4 and has the stats. Who jumps out. There is almost ZERO skill in identifying the Top 100 or so IMO. Anyone who just watches can do it. It's just checking boxes. You don't need to project who is college ready and dominant. It's right there. The skill is figuring out who is the 150th best kid (4*) and who is the 350th best kid (4* too) and who doesn't jump off the field but you can project success for. That's what the good coaches are good at. Not the website guys.

Which is why I give these yahoos who aren't qualified to scout for a D2 team or coach JV HS football zero cred. Half their job is done the moment they decide to do it. And if that wasn't enough, their jobs are literally done for them already by all the coaches. All they have to do is track the offers and rank kids by them and they can piggyback off professionals that know what they are doing. "Updated rankings" lol.

Then we get to my point that you mentioned... these guys give themselves something like 350 shots at picking the 5-star and 4-star kids when there are only 256 TOTAL PICKS in the NFL DRAFT even if you include an entire extra compensatory round (so that's 8 rounds total). Think about that. They are giving themselves so many opportunities to be "right," from the top of the 2nd round, all the way to the 100th or so best UFA. That's like 11+ rounds of picks to try to nail the first two rounds! Imagine if I published a mock draft with 350 first and 2nd rounders lol. Then claimed I was right when I only hit on ~32/64 with my 350 chances!!

Anyone who understands statistics, probabilities, and logic understands that these fools are just JAG'S throwing darts once you get past the obvious. And no one start, because OF COURSE there is a correlation between 5-star and 4-star high picks. The 5's are beyond obvious and they flood the market with 4-stars as mentioned.

Imagine if I came to you and bragged about the bullseye I nailed playing darts last night, but failed to tell you I was allowed 10x more throws than my opponent?

This thing is cooked, and the public falls for it. It's cool. It's just for fun in my book, I follow the offers. Offers made by professionals, not guys who can't coach pee wee football or even freelance write for any real sports scribe. They are just unqualified fanboys. Hook, line and sinker. And I'm a sucker too cause I pay to read this crap lol. It's a sickness.

Advertisement
Back