The Return

The Return is a garbage title. This era doesn't exactly specialize in creative nicknames. Let's see...The Play...The Catch...The Drive, and so forth. We can't think of anything so we'll stick The in front.

Take that back a century or so. Instead of Four Horsemen we could have The Foursome. Galloping Ghost could have been The Runner. Immaculate Reception could have been the original The Catch.

I'm not saying I have anything brilliant for that play. The first thing that came to my mind was "Lateral Damage." That makes the point with an aggressive word, and certainly doesn't leave any room to wonder which play you are referring to. It has a military connection to the more familiar term along those lines, Collateral Damage. Might be some objection along those lines due to what it refers to -- unintentional casualties -- but I don't think it crosses the line.

Regardless, it's disgusting to surrender any threat of creativity and merely slap The in front, or use a ridiculous forced rhyme or alliteration.

Lateral Damage is pretty good. We should all start using it.

The Return encompasses more than the kick. The return of Butch. The return of the program.

Advertisement
The Return is a garbage title. This era doesn't exactly specialize in creative nicknames. Let's see...The Play...The Catch...The Drive, and so forth. We can't think of anything so we'll stick The in front.

Take that back a century or so. Instead of Four Horsemen we could have The Foursome. Galloping Ghost could have been The Runner. Immaculate Reception could have been the original The Catch.

I'm not saying I have anything brilliant for that play. The first thing that came to my mind was "Lateral Damage." That makes the point with an aggressive word, and certainly doesn't leave any room to wonder which play you are referring to. It has a military connection to the more familiar term along those lines, Collateral Damage. Might be some objection along those lines due to what it refers to -- unintentional casualties -- but I don't think it crosses the line.

Regardless, it's disgusting to surrender any threat of creativity and merely slap The in front, or use a ridiculous forced rhyme or alliteration.

Lateral Damage is pretty good. We should all start using it.

The Return encompasses more than the kick. The return of Butch. The return of the program.

He wanted to gloss over that part of it so he could shill his slogan making prowess. I'm surprised he didn't fit in a Vegas handicapper story about how a slogan changed a point spread one time.

Advertisement
Back