The recruiting game

MizCane

Senior
Every year is such a joke. Kids have no loyalty and a lot of the S. Fl kids are straight divas. we wouldn't have as big of a problem if we had a better team/coach but it's pathetic how some of these kids handle their recruiting. Parenting is a huge part of this that no one seems to talk about.

How a kid like Scarlett de commits 4 days before signing day says more about him and his parenting then it does about Al and staff.

On th flip side you have scenarios where Al is scrambling bc he can't land a CB for his life and now wants to throw offers out to kids he would have easily gotten 6 months ago that now feel spurned. I guess it's better to not offer then offer; then to offer then pull it ala Bobby Petrino and that RB out of SC.

Long story short, Al Golden is in way over his head now that he doesn't have off field things to keep him occupied. He hasn't figured out the recruiting game or how to field a team full of Southern athletes. If he can't sven land 1 undecided kid tomorrow that should be it for him. Kids like St. Louis don't count. He is already committed so if he even plays the hat game or whatever I'll be SMH bc that makes no sense at all. If he chooses anything other then Miami well he's a POS and Golden is as well.

Advertisement
What's going on now is just his incompetence in display.
There was a good recruting class to be had here. EVEN after all that's gone on if he would have recruited the right kids from the beginning and not slow play them.
But he can't seem to understand that.

Every year is such a joke. Kids have no loyalty and a lot of the S. Fl kids are straight divas. we wouldn't have as big of a problem if we had a better team/coach but it's pathetic how some of these kids handle their recruiting. Parenting is a huge part of this that no one seems to talk about.

How a kid like Scarlett de commits 4 days before signing day says more about him and his parenting then it does about Al and staff.

On th flip side you have scenarios where Al is scrambling bc he can't land a CB for his life and now wants to throw offers out to kids he would have easily gotten 6 months ago that now feel spurned. I guess it's better to not offer then offer; then to offer then pull it ala Bobby Petrino and that RB out of SC.

Long story short, Al Golden is in way over his head now that he doesn't have off field things to keep him occupied. He hasn't figured out the recruiting game or how to field a team full of Southern athletes. If he can't sven land 1 undecided kid tomorrow that should be it for him. Kids like St. Louis don't count. He is already committed so if he even plays the hat game or whatever I'll be SMH bc that makes no sense at all. If he chooses anything other then Miami well he's a POS and Golden is as well.

He would not be scrambling if he would just offer the top DB's down there from the start. Fenton should have had one 365 days ago for example.

He cant coach either, so that has a lot to do with it.

As for Scarlett, I agree, that is embarrassing to him and everyone around him, including St. Thomas. This is one reason they canned their coach, there was no control there.

George Smith made his bed by bringing in all of these cats from around the county/country. Not saying it never used to happen, but kids from back in the day like Geno Atkins, Marcus Gilbert, Nate Salley, Major Wright, Dorsett, etc who came up through the program, JV, etc. Now their JV sucks and it is all about the $ and bringing in the studs each year. Well I can tell you one thing, the character of the school has taken a sharp hit there, and that is why Casullo is out. This situation is a flat out embarrassment to all involved.

They need to get back to basics and not bring in all of these premadonna's like they have done recently.

Though the south florida DB class to me was a tad over rated, golden should have been recruiting all of them for back ups thats where he effed up

About the whole SoFl recruits and loyalty there isnt any, and its been like that for years not just under golden, i honestly dont know what it is down here, we recruit kids since the 8th grade and they still go soemwhere else, dont tell me its lack of trying because we recruit these kids hard, you go to ohio and those kids are screaming to go to ohio state no matter what their record is, same for kids in cali with USC and UCLA

Honestly it is impossible to lock down south florida, randy got lucky in 08 when most of those kids played on the same teams together, butch never really locked it down, majority of those guys in those 2000s team where from north florida or OOS, coker never really did it either he also got a lot of OOS kids too, schnelly and jimmy got some locals but recruiting was a little different back then

Honestly if we want to win we gotta go for more OOS kids, the one thing thats a problem with that is you have to win to get those type of kids, we cant rely on these local kids because they flip flop everyday, butch said it right he recruited the right kids, thats who we should go after and go after hard down here, TBH even if we finished the season strong after the FSU lose we still wouldnt get a mojority of these local kids

Maybe we had a winning record and a coach thats "real" with recruits maybe they would be more appealing. as much as people want to say they are "divas" this kids know they are the best in the country and they are not going to go anywhere where they cant get to the next level unless they have no choice. this kids have cousins, uncles, fathers, brothers who all been through this. so they know the game in and out

Last edited:
Advertisement
The Customer is always right. Every CFB coach in america is playing by the same rules. Some are exceling in this very climate and others are failing. The ones who are failing are simply not adapting. Teams can only negative recruit what you leave vulnerable. This isn't about facilities, home crowds or fan support unless you believe in excuses. It's about providing a platform for these kids to have sucess and showcase their talent. based on staff decisions it shows that golden isn't putting the future of players first by sticking with failing assistants. What has golden done to enhance the careers of Tracy Howard and Stacy coley? This is what kids and handlers are asking.

I can't fault kids or call.them divas for wanting the find the as close to perfect situation as possible. Imagine how much you could accomplish in life if you were just a bit more unreasonable at times in your pursuit of the best possible fit for reaching your goals.

Last edited:
LOL calling S.Florida divas just because they think Al Golden is loser. Kids decommit everywhere sometimes twice, three times, **** even 4 times. Not just South Florida like retards on this board think. Then again most of you don't follow anything outside of the canes. That is why most of the names people come up with to replace Golden is Butch, Chud and Schiano. Also why you guys think Kaaya is the only good freshman QB or Coley was the top WR just before last season started and so on.

This hot off twitter from Bruce Feldman

Bruce Feldman ‏@BruceFeldmanCFB 42m42 minutes ago

Spoke to a head coach at a Top25 program this morning about recruiting: "It's dirty. Guys are so unethical and it gets worse every year."

Every year people calls kids divas and that's been true for the last decade since I've followed recruiting. Once recruiting went to the internet, social media, television games and announcements, etc....basically big time, it became more of a game. South Florida recruits aren't any different, they're just the ones we pay attention to because that's our recruiting base.

The people getting played more than others is the fans as I'd bet the coaches (who can't comment on recruits specifically) know far more about what's going on.

Every coach in the country is in hustle mode right now with question marks. Some more so than others, but since they won't comment on it we're left to speculate and form opinions on limited info based on nothing other than a feeling. Even the website people are left guessing.

Advertisement
Maybe we had a winning record and a coach thats "real" with recruits maybe they would be more appealing. as much as people want to say they are "divas" this kids know they are the best in the country and they are not going to go anywhere where they cant get to the next level unless they have no choice. this kids have cousins, uncles, fathers, brothers who all been through this. so they know the game in and out

We still put guys in the league even with the crappy records and crap 2 gap scheme, the part you mentioned about the family members is good point, a lot of separate kids, families, and such are close to each other, some kid somewhere in their family or friend has gone through what the kid goes through, there have been times when it was a positive for us and it kills us

This hot off twitter from Bruce Feldman

Bruce Feldman ‏@BruceFeldmanCFB 42m42 minutes ago

Spoke to a head coach at a Top25 program this morning about recruiting: "It's dirty. Guys are so unethical and it gets worse every year."

Then you need a man doing the recruiting--one that the kids and their HS coaches are afraid to cross. People cross Golden because they don't respect him, and because there is no price to be paid for crossing him. I think we'd see a lot less of these de-commitments if Butch were in charge; not only because he's got a better product to sell, but also because the HS coaches wouldn't want to cross him and would make it known to their kids that once you commit to Butch, you're done looking.

Do coaches have loyalty? Do fans? Do athletic directors?

These kids make selfish decisions because they are selfish actors and they are most of all teenagers. If you can't adapt to it and get them in the door, then you should not be the head ******* football coach at Miami.

The Customer is always right. Every CFB coach in america is playing by the same rules. Some are exceling in this very climate and others are failing. The ones who are failing are simply not adapting. Teams can only negative recruit what you leave vulnerable. This isn't about facilities, home crowds or fan support unless you believe in excuses. It's about providing a platform for these kids to have sucess and showcase their talent. based on staff decisions it shows that golden isn't putting the future of players first by sticking with failing assistants. What has golden done to enhance the careers of Tracy Howard and Stacy coley? This is what kids and handlers are asking.

I can't fault kids or call.them divas for wanting the find the as close to perfect situation as possible. Imagine how much you could accomplish in life if you were just a bit more unreasonable at times in your pursuit of the best possible fit for reaching your goals.

Great point here. What some people on here seem to forget is that a lot of these kids on our roster were local legends in their hood. Guys like Tracy H, Jamal C, Deon B, Duke, Artie....The little league/HS kids look up to the them. And they see what is going on. How they are being misused. How they are hurting their draft stock.

Jamal Carter was a stud in HS. He is about to be a JR this year and hasn't even come close to reaching his athletic potential. Hasn't even been serviceable for us!

A kid like Artie Burns will be Sam Shields 2.0. I guarantee it. Some team is going to look at that athlete..teach him the nuances of the position. And make him a shutdown corner. But that team is going to get him for the bargain price of a 3rd round pick instead of a 1st round! HS kids are seeing this! Smh.

Makes me sick. Like someone said in another thread, its official, we have absolutely nothing to sell at this point to a top recruit. The kids who ride with us now just love the U and would come if Pee Wee Herman were the **** coach.

Advertisement
Who wouldn't have seen this coming after the pathetic season We just had!
And then, nothing done to improve the situation! I'm not saying the fate of Al would be any different if he got rid of some coaches, but it would have gave the appearance that someone gave a chit!
Let's just get through Wed with some dignity!
Then the all out assault on Al Golden and NoD!
( well.... We will see how bad it gets I guess)

The whole game is dirty and getting dirtier. This is absolutely the fault of the NCAA. They've known about the street agent games for many years now but has intentionally chosen to do nothing about it. The NCAA is politically influenced by many universities who take pride in their athletics but do not exist in a market that provides many athletes. So they need the NCAA to play dumb about all of the street level stuff in recruiting. Anarchy is just never as **** as it seems in the brochure.

More of the same: the same dopes that cried about negative fans hurting recruiting, are now labeling our recruiting base as "divas" because they don't want to play for a fat piece of shlt. I'm sure SoFla kids love constantly being bashed and called "divas."

It's also weird how quickly they became "divas" huh? No complaints when the Duke and Tracy class signed.

Makes sense.

Last edited:
Advertisement
It doesn't really matter whether you think of them as 'divas' or not. The problem is that they think they're too good for UM -- and they're right! They're copping an attitude because at this point, Al has the stench of Loser coming off of him. If there's something to be gained from 'committing' to that loser early in the process, they'll do that while they look around for a more appropriate suitor.

It doesn't really matter whether you think of them as 'divas' or not. The problem is that they think they're too good for UM -- and they're right! They're copping an attitude because at this point, Al has the stench of Loser coming off of him. If there's something to be gained from 'committing' to that loser early in the process, they'll do that while they look around for a more appropriate suitor.

This

look at the talented kids that came here and didnt win under golden. kids like previously mentioned burns and carter who were killers in HS. blame UM not scarlett. if butch davis was our coach, he would be here. golden is a joke. if i was a coach or parent, i wouldnt want my kid with him either and i love UM football as much as anyone/

No doubt we've been ****ed over by some kids but Goldens also passed on a whole lot of guys who can play here. A lot of these kids are friends and talk. The ones he passed on end up in other schools and then that leads to another connection that we have to recruit against. The Scarlett situation just highlights that. If we recruit Skai Moore and Quincy Wilson then more than likely that leads to Scarlett coming here and you have Chad Wilson in your corner. Our handling of the U school was a joke. He seems to be doing the same with American Heritage.

Lets not mention all the kids like Fenton we have passed on. Seriously maybe you have Marcus Lewis rated a little higher but the nod should go to a kid like Fenton. Instead we go after the national kid who leaves us high and dry. The more kids we keep from south florida the more it helps with future kids down here.

Advertisement
Back