The reason Georgia Tech beat us this year

dishelved.jpg

Advertisement
Georgia Tech's defense is pathetic. They are last in the ACC by wide margin in yards per play allowed, at above 6.6. That is nearly half a yard worse than the second to last team.

I bet Miami for that reason last week. It was ridiculous to score only 17 points in that game, no matter how many possessions we had. The correct plays have already been spotlighted in this thread. And I'm glad somebody mentioned the empty set. We should not be using empty sets with a quarterback on this level. Never. It's one of my all time pet peeves in football. Empty sets are fine for veteran quarterbacks who can scan the field instantly and make the perfect choice. That's why the top handful of NFL quarterbacks thrive in that formation. Otherwise when you run empty the defense salivates and rotates forward, thrilled at an opportunity to attack. Too many things can and do go wrong in important situations. I realize we have had some success, including the long touchdown pass to Yearby against Duke. Doesn't matter. Play the percentages. We need to be running the ball more frequently and empty sets should not be a part of the playbook. They'll work against a soft defense like Cincinnati but cave in during the bigger games down the road.

Frankly, Paul Johnson hasn't had a decent defense since his first season at Georgia Tech in 2008. Somehow all the focus has been on the offense. That's what the simplistic types prefer to ridicule. Meanwhile, the defense has allowed at least 5.5 yards per play every year since 2009 and generally it's considerably higher than that. Sometimes they get away with it due to a handful of playmakers. This season that has showed up several times. It looked like Tulane's freshman quarterback would rip them all day until he threw an underneath pass for a pick six. Then he started to press. Georgia Tech sat back and inherited another interception, this one overthrown and very similar to Kaaya' first pick last week. Georgia Tech is patient on offense and defense. Virginia Tech blew the game in the 4th quarter when Brewer forced a couple of senseless interceptions.

We lost because we couldn't get off the field, and because we were playing cover 2 against a team that is an embarrassment to the forward pass.

In spite the dee of not getting off the field, we lost for 4 reasons unrelated to the run defense:

Two rd zone interceptions (finishing here and we win).
A fake punt, a stop on which gives us great field position
Them completing a 3rd and 17.

At least three of these have nothing to do with scheme. Simply bad execution.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back