The Punters matchup was a HUGE key

skyman

Senior
Both punters had 7 punts for 49.0 avg but got it doin it different ways. FSU had great hang time and we had some different games going to keep ball away from Coleman.

FSU punter didnt allow many returns with with us fair catching alot.. Our punter did work but he was more bullet kicks that hit the ground and roll, If they didnt hit the ground he gave FSU a chance to return a couple.. That return by Coleman won the game.. He muffed a punt and we didnt get it.. Just tough but I think was a major part of the game how it played out..

Advertisement
We need a full time special teams coach, **** FSU’s coached defensive ends I think, but in some capacity it needs to be a full time staffer

It was an awesome special teams battle.

Frank high pointing on the onside.

Joyce’s 50 yard punt to flip the field in the first quarter.

Two major miscues, laces in and the missed tackle on the big return.

FSU’s punter is unbelievable. Probably their most impactful player for FSU tonight

Advertisement
Both punters had 7 punts for 49.0 avg but got it doin it different ways. FSU had great hang time and we had some different games going to keep ball away from Coleman.

FSU punter didnt allow many returns with with us fair catching alot.. Our punter did work but he was more bullet kicks that hit the ground and roll, If they didnt hit the ground he gave FSU a chance to return a couple.. That return by Coleman won the game.. He muffed a punt and we didnt get it.. Just tough but I think was a major part of the game how it played out..
keen observation. Im gonna go with not even having 100yds passing going into the 4th quarter as more as a deciding factor. point well taken though

It was an awesome special teams battle.

Frank high pointing on the onside.

Joyce’s 50 yard punt to flip the field in the first quarter.

Two major miscues, laces in and the missed tackle on the big return.

FSU’s punter is unbelievable. Probably their most impactful player for FSU tonight
Valid points, however, the difference is glaring in our return game on punts, we don’t return, just fair catch, we let balls go when we should catch them, one downed at the 2 yard line when Restrepo let it go, while big returns by the Noles returners which goes into our kickers kicking quick kicks due to possible rushers getting through or just rushing the kick in general, no air time, while like you said the FSU punter was **** good and had great hang time and great placed kicks.

Valid points, however, the difference is glaring in our return game on punts, we don’t return, just fair catch, we let balls go when we should catch them, one downed at the 2 yard line when Restrepo let it go, while big returns by the Noles returners which goes into our kickers kicking quick kicks due to possible rushers getting through or just rushing the kick in general, no air time, while like you said the FSU punter was **** good and had great hang time and great placed kicks.
I’ll have to watch it again, but I believe the majority of FSU kicks were line drive rugby kicks which are incredibly difficult to catch and the thinking is they will bounce far so I understand X letting them go. Obviously in hindsight he should have caught them, but there is a reason they benched him from PR duties.

Regardless, it was a great back and forth and one of the most entertaining parts of the game

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back