The Proper Way to Be a 'Canes Fan

RedSquare

Freshman
It's not just about rooting for the 'Canes. As a true fan, it's understanding how you despise the other teams and whom to always root against. There are essentially three levels of teams you absolutely hate. This breaks down as follows:

LEVEL 3: Rivals you look forward to beating every year. The game is circled on the calendar when the schedule comes out in the summer. You would never root for them in any game unless winning in some way directly helps UM.

The 'Canes fan Level 3 Team - FSU

LEVEL 2: Teams you hate so much you will root for them to lose every game, and it's acceptable to do so, EVEN IF that their victory on a specific occasion would actually help the 'Canes. And this is because you have no respect for them, their university, or their fans. You take such delight in their misery and suffering, their loss effectively equals the joy you feel with a UM victory.

The 'Canes fan Level 2 Teams - Ohio State and Alabama

LEVEL 1: The hatred and lack of respect for everything their institution and fan base represents is infinite and pathological. Not only do you root for them to lose EVERY game, no matter what the circumstances, but you also hope the team bus drives off a cliff on the way home from the stadium and disintegrates into a burst of flames.

The 'Canes fan Level 1 Teams - The Gators and Notre Dame

Now, for personal reasons, one may add a name or two to each of these levels as one sees fit and as your personal UM fan history may dictate. It's not necessary, but it is permissible. However, every 'Canes fan has these 5 scoundrels exactly where they belong.

Last edited:
Advertisement
You have level three twice but I get your point and approve of your intended slotting.

someone who writes a "how to" about being a Canes fan chooses "RedSquare" as a username .. LOL

ba2c67fcf810ea6aada3c967368440bd.gif

Advertisement
I’ve never posted in “Gator Tears” … what’s the point?
Ive never posted in “Nole Tears” … again, what’s the point?

I only hate one team. I won’t even google their name. I certainly wouldn’t deign to write it. When I want to learn their schedule, I Google one of their rivals. Here’s what I had to say about them in July…

Advertisement
Clemson is starting to get in tier 1 for me. They have the aura of greatness for a 8 year run or so. I almost puked when Dabo gave that rah rah cheer for Sunshine to win The Heisman

I always throw Baylor and PedoState in level 2 because F*** rapists and pedophiles.
Georgia goes in level 3 cause F*** Georgia.
After all the U down taunting that UNC did last 2 games, they can go in level 2.5 until further notice.

Advertisement
Nice list, but there are no teams I cannot root for under any circumstances. What if ND or UF winning a game put Miami in the CFP? You’d rather not make the playoffs and have the Irish or Gators lose a game? What if UM and ND or UF were in the CFP, but not opponents in the semi-finals? Wouldn’t you root for either of them to win so Miami can beat them in the finals, beat them for a championship? Of course, these are hypotheticals, and I’d rather they both go 0-12.

I dislike Alabama but cannot bring it to the depth as if they were a rival. This borders on jealously of their run of success under Saban. A Canes fan can never be jealous of another program. Same with Clemson until meaningful conference games happen. ****, we need to thank them for blowing out Al Golden so bad Miami fired him the next day.

Ohio State can eat bag of d!cks ever since the 2002 NC was stolen from Miami. This list includes Penn State, as an on-off rival since the 70s, and for beating us for the NC in 86. UCF earns nod, for thinking they deserve a spot with us, UF, and FSU in the state conversation. They can f*ck off. Boston College can never been forgiven for Hail Flutie. I might include Oklahoma, but we beat them 3 out of 3 in the 80s and split two games over a decade ago. No action since.

VaTech and UNC have a spot with FSU in the ‘rival game circled’ list. The Hokies have been a thorn in our side since the mid-90s, and UNC earned a spot last week. They were disrespectful throwing the upside down after late TDs, and did the same in a 2015 blowout.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Hopefully, soon we start appearing on other teams' "hate list". That's when you'll know we are back.

Agreed. All we are is a middle of the road team in a middle of the road conference and it sucks.

'Fans don't boo for nobodies.' - Reggie Jackson

One day it'd be great to be hated and good again. Good enough for the other team not to be able to do anything about it.

It's not just about rooting for the 'Canes. As a true fan, it's understanding how you despise the other teams and whom to always root against. There are essentially three levels of teams you absolutely hate. This breaks down as follows:

LEVEL 3: Rivals you look forward to beating every year. The game is circled on the calendar when the schedule comes out in the summer. You would never root for them in any game unless winning in some way directly helps UM.

The 'Canes fan Level 3 Team - FSU

LEVEL 2: Teams you hate so much you will root for them to lose every game, and it's acceptable to do so, EVEN IF that their victory on a specific occasion would actually help the 'Canes. And this is because you have no respect for them, their university, or their fans. You take such delight in their misery and suffering, their loss effectively equals the joy you feel with a UM victory.

The 'Canes fan Level 2 Teams - Ohio State and Alabama

LEVEL 1: The hatred and lack of respect for everything their institution and fan base represents is infinite and pathological. Not only do you root for them to lose EVERY game, no matter what the circumstances, but you also hope the team bus drives off a cliff on the way home from the stadium and disintegrates into a burst of flames.

The 'Canes fan Level 1 Teams - The Gators and Notre Dame

Now, for personal reasons, one may add a name or two to each of these levels as one sees fit and as your personal UM fan history may dictate. It's not necessary, but it is permissible. However, every 'Canes fan has these 5 scoundrels exactly where they belong.
NEVER CAPITALIZE g in gators Coach K rolls over in grave when Canes fan do it

Advertisement
Back