The Problem Mario/We are Facing Going Forward(Long)

Make any excuse you want they still had to go out there and win the game with a horrible offense. And this ain’t the first year Iowa has had a bad offense and somehow Kirk Ferentz has had at least 8 wins a year from 2018 aside from the Covid year.

This is not a good argument to take, they literally played 3 ranked teams this year, and went 0-3, scoring a total of, wait for it, ZERO points. Your argument falls quite flat I am afraid.

Advertisement
With all due respect, this is a strawman argument as a never said we need an elite QB to win big. Reread my post.
You said we need a qb to take us to the next level I disagree if we had a game manager qb this year we win 9 games. Give me JB or Williams next year cut the turnovers done and we should be able to win games

This is not a good argument to take, they literally played 3 ranked teams this year, and went 0-3, scoring a total of, wait for it, ZERO points. Your argument falls quite flat I am afraid.
They beat the teams they were supposed to beat, they weren’t expected to beat Ohio state, penn state or Michigan. Your right there offense is horrible which I stated and they still had a 10 win year.

They beat the teams they were supposed to beat, they weren’t expected to beat Ohio state, penn state or Michigan. Your right there offense is horrible which I stated and they still had a 10 win year.

Your own point is going over your head..................but no sense arguing, it is ridiculous. Here's to hoping we land our QB today.

Ok so he destroyed TVD,threw him a life jacket this season & he TVD wet the bed again…Justin Herbert who everybody loves the prototype QB is under .500 (30-32)as a QB in the NFL with great talent on offense and defense…
You should take a closer look at 2021 Tyler.

Advertisement
Mario has done an excellent job in acquiring talent, flipping the roster and remaking it with an emphasis on the trenches while beginning to stack elite skill talent as well. While his task here is hardly finished, he has been able to recruit at an elite level despite mediocre results in the field thus far in his first 2 seasons.

With the TVD era being over, the need to find a starting QB capable of taking this team and program to the next level has never been more apparent or more crucial. The all out pursuit of Cam Ward and subsequent failure to land him has brought two things to the forefront. The first being what I have already mentioned and that is just how badly this team is in need of a leader at the most important position who can provide consistently good to great play and elevate this offense to a point where we will be able to compete at a playoff level.

The second is more uncomfortable and the reason for this post. The problem Mario is faced with is the compounding and an exacerbation of the issue of perception that he came to Miami with in the first place. There was a growing perception that Mario was/is a destroyer of quarterbacks and by extension, offenses. He is known to be excessively conservative and a mediocre game day coach at best. Wether that perception was fair or not didn't matter. When he arrived in Miami one of the first things Mario should have gone out of his way to put to bed was that lingering negative reputation he had with QBs and with offense. That never happened and outside of the first 4 games of the 2023 season and the finale vs BC he actually double and tripled down on what is best described as a basic, slow, plodding, unimaginative and painfully conservative style of offense. The fact that this offense actually finished #26 in total offense was a minor miracle and a testament to the value of having a greatly improved offensive line.

However the problems weren't only in the style of offense. There were clearly issues with game management and Cristobal's style of game day coaching. In addition to this the inability to incorporate the game breaking speed available to this staff was jaw dropping. Players like Chris Johnson, Ray Ray Joseph and others went totally ignored while players like Brashard Smith were criminally underutilized. Shannon Dawson our second offensive coordinator in as many years was mostly not up to the task as he was unable or unwilling to do much outside of his base offense. Offensively we were routinely out coached and Dawson seemed to be unable to make teams pay for blitzing. Where were the screen passes? Where were the passes to the TEs? To the RBs? Where was the variation in the running game? Where was the development of the QBs?

Which brings us to the present. Mario had to know that in order to be able to get good to elite QBs to be interesting in coming here he had to be able to offer an appealing type of offense to play in and a staff to develop them. It is crystal clear that at this point we offer neither! For as detail oriented and organized as Mario is purported to be, I find it shocking that he couldn't look far enough into the future to realize that having Shannon Dawson as his OC/QB coach just wasn't going to cut it in terms of being able to compete with other programs for elite QB talent plain and simple. So what exactly are we in position to offer a QB who is in demand? What QB is seriously going to want to play in this offense? What QB do we expect to be blown away by what we can offer in terms of development?

So now what? So we stick with Dawson for the sake of continuity and hope that we magically find a QB in the portal and that said QB proves to be the missing piece that we needed to make Dawson's mediocre offense look somewhat palatable? Do we bring in a 3rd coordinator in as many years? As bad as the optics would be, I am actually in favor of moving on from Dawson if the right option presents itself. Put me down as being in favor of making Ken Dorsey an offer to be OC/QB coach. Pay him as much as you need to get him here. Please note that I'm not in the pro Dorsey camp because he is a "Miami guy bro" but because he is absolutely qualified, doesn't run a bro style offense, is a proven developer of QBs, is very cerebral and intelligent, plus being a storied alum he has a vested interest in seeing the program succeed. Also he is intensely competitive and the type of guy who would have absolutely no problem telling Mario to eat a bag of dycks should the situation present itself. Plus he is available. Dorsey just makes a lot of sense if he is willing but I'm completely open minded to other options either in the college or the pro ranks. What is the most important thing is that we make a move in order to position ourselves to be competitive in the QB market.
Summary:

Half of CIS didn’t want SorryriO as HC because he was/is a trash *** CORCH

Last edited:
Every decent QB that enters the portal, knows Miami needs a starting QB and has NIL money, yet we still don't have a portal QB, that speaks volumes. Mario's reputation supersedes him.

This. The fact that we are supposedly the highest bidder with a good OL should tell you all you need to know.

You should take a closer look at 2021 Tyler.
I did…maybe you should too…dude balled out…we all know what happened in 2022 & 23 seasons…Bad OC hire in 22..did much better with Dawson…bottom line is coaches coach players play..blame Mario for TVD throwing over 10 ints in 4 games…no I’m not taking up for Mario lol

Advertisement
I did…maybe you should too…dude balled out…we all know what happened in 2022 & 23 seasons…Bad OC hire in 22..did much better with Dawson…bottom line is coaches coach players play..blame Mario for TVD throwing over 10 ints in 4 games…no I’m not taking up for Mario lol
That's an interesting assessment.

Mario is a used car salesman that thinks he can convince any qb to buy a used Taurus so he doesn’t have to change his offense to impress anyone….hes that stubborn and that sure that he’s knows best…

I think it’s entirely plausible Mario couldn’t find better at OC and had to settle. Now we can’t find better at QB and will have to settle. Is a disastrous feedback loop that can sink him.
Maybe because it takes him months to fire someone and then hire someone else. I think most people knew we were getting leftovers with Mario’s lack of urgency

You said we need a qb to take us to the next level I disagree if we had a game manager qb this year we win 9 games. Give me JB or Williams next year cut the turnovers done and we should be able to win games
Yes a QB that can be consistently good. You are confusing this with me stating that we need a Caleb Williams or a Michael Penix to compete but I never said that. You are arguing against your perception of my comments. Granted, it's obvious that Mario likes to go big and aim high but in order for him to attract the type of QBs that he wants to attract we need to become a more attractive and viable destination for a QB prospect who may have aspirations of playing in the NFL. We could go with JB or Williams if we had a better offensive staff who could develop QBs. So far I have not seen any evidence of that.

Advertisement
Bottom line is this:
This year, Tyler had major injuries that were hidden/ not acknowledged, and that affected his throwing and movement....

Many athletes do not usually regress in play production to that degree, that Tyler experienced, without some major changes physically, or unacknowledged injuries .

TVD stared down players in '21, '22, and '23, but if we had decent to good game management....... this Canes team would have been an easy 9-3, or even 10-2 finishing out games with good calls and decent clock management.........
Go back and check in '23 we were in winnable games through the 4 th quarter, consistently.

If the '24 QB is talented and has the ability to move, and with Mario getting help in his calls and game management, we should be able to have at least a 10-2 team for '24.........but a large percentage of success will depend on the meshing of the QB play, and with Dawson opening up the book and going air raid instead of modifying plays by eliminating T/E, and continuous running up the middle, along with no variety in play calling.

Mario should be the CEO, and let these guys do their thing.........these hands on and meddling style, hurts the team, affecting morale, and he should spend more time polishing his play calling and clock management for '24...and the program would then move forward...

The biggest problem going forward imo without a true QB1 will come down to player retention. without a bettter winning season next year I would expect a lot of these 5 star recruits to hit the portal. And every year after that till we win.

Mario has done an excellent job in acquiring talent, flipping the roster and remaking it with an emphasis on the trenches while beginning to stack elite skill talent as well. While his task here is hardly finished, he has been able to recruit at an elite level despite mediocre results in the field thus far in his first 2 seasons.

With the TVD era being over, the need to find a starting QB capable of taking this team and program to the next level has never been more apparent or more crucial. The all out pursuit of Cam Ward and subsequent failure to land him has brought two things to the forefront. The first being what I have already mentioned and that is just how badly this team is in need of a leader at the most important position who can provide consistently good to great play and elevate this offense to a point where we will be able to compete at a playoff level.

The second is more uncomfortable and the reason for this post. The problem Mario is faced with is the compounding and an exacerbation of the issue of perception that he came to Miami with in the first place. There was a growing perception that Mario was/is a destroyer of quarterbacks and by extension, offenses. He is known to be excessively conservative and a mediocre game day coach at best. Wether that perception was fair or not didn't matter. When he arrived in Miami one of the first things Mario should have gone out of his way to put to bed was that lingering negative reputation he had with QBs and with offense. That never happened and outside of the first 4 games of the 2023 season and the finale vs BC he actually double and tripled down on what is best described as a basic, slow, plodding, unimaginative and painfully conservative style of offense. The fact that this offense actually finished #26 in total offense was a minor miracle and a testament to the value of having a greatly improved offensive line.

However the problems weren't only in the style of offense. There were clearly issues with game management and Cristobal's style of game day coaching. In addition to this the inability to incorporate the game breaking speed available to this staff was jaw dropping. Players like Chris Johnson, Ray Ray Joseph and others went totally ignored while players like Brashard Smith were criminally underutilized. Shannon Dawson our second offensive coordinator in as many years was mostly not up to the task as he was unable or unwilling to do much outside of his base offense. Offensively we were routinely out coached and Dawson seemed to be unable to make teams pay for blitzing. Where were the screen passes? Where were the passes to the TEs? To the RBs? Where was the variation in the running game? Where was the development of the QBs?

Which brings us to the present. Mario had to know that in order to be able to get good to elite QBs to be interesting in coming here he had to be able to offer an appealing type of offense to play in and a staff to develop them. It is crystal clear that at this point we offer neither! For as detail oriented and organized as Mario is purported to be, I find it shocking that he couldn't look far enough into the future to realize that having Shannon Dawson as his OC/QB coach just wasn't going to cut it in terms of being able to compete with other programs for elite QB talent plain and simple. So what exactly are we in position to offer a QB who is in demand? What QB is seriously going to want to play in this offense? What QB do we expect to be blown away by what we can offer in terms of development?

So now what? So we stick with Dawson for the sake of continuity and hope that we magically find a QB in the portal and that said QB proves to be the missing piece that we needed to make Dawson's mediocre offense look somewhat palatable? Do we bring in a 3rd coordinator in as many years? As bad as the optics would be, I am actually in favor of moving on from Dawson if the right option presents itself. Put me down as being in favor of making Ken Dorsey an offer to be OC/QB coach. Pay him as much as you need to get him here. Please note that I'm not in the pro Dorsey camp because he is a "Miami guy bro" but because he is absolutely qualified, doesn't run a bro style offense, is a proven developer of QBs, is very cerebral and intelligent, plus being a storied alum he has a vested interest in seeing the program succeed. Also he is intensely competitive and the type of guy who would have absolutely no problem telling Mario to eat a bag of dycks should the situation present itself. Plus he is available. Dorsey just makes a lot of sense if he is willing but I'm completely open minded to other options either in the college or the pro ranks. What is the most important thing is that we make a move in order to position ourselves to be competitive in the QB market.

Great post, OP. Hiring Dorsey would be a boss move & would completely change the narrative (which is hugely important at this point):

1) Great selling point to all recruits on Offense but especially top flight QBs, WRs and TEs. We could sell Ken's track record of significant improvement of Cam Newton's play in the NFL and experience with two NFL teams;

2) I firmly believe it would make Miami a premier destination for top QBs & skill position players;

3) Mario could turn game management completely over to Ken who is very cerebral & would manage the clock & the use of timeouts very well (this alone would likely contribute to 1-2 additional wins per season);

4) Ken would incorporate all the best skill position players into the mix (we were overly dependent on the WR & run game this yr) and he would get our explosive players involved;

5) Current QBs would very likely elevate their level of play under Ken's tutelage; and

6) We would have a more diverse offense that's less predictable.

Hiring Ken would completely change the narrative & set the program on a really strong trajectory. Really hope the power players around the program can make this happen. Would be huge.

Advertisement
Highly ranked recruiting classes mean nothing if you can’t develop the talent. With Mario it’s 6-6.

I appreciate the optimism, but living in denial is not a solution. Don’t fool yourself. The solution is obvious.

Make any excuse you want they still had to go out there and win the game with a horrible offense. And this ain’t the first year Iowa has had a bad offense and somehow Kirk Ferentz has had at least 8 wins a year from 2018 aside from the Covid year.
So according to you, it’s okay to have an abomination of an offense?

Others have posted statistical analysis showing that Iowa’s offense is all-time bad. They have zero chance to win meaningful games because at some point during a season the offense has to score points.

I thought I’d seen it all on here, but you’re basically saying that it’s okay for Mario’s offensive philosophy to be total trash, as long as our defense is like Iowa’s. Kirk Ferentz is a dinosaur in a trash conference that has 2 good teams (Taint and Michigan), and of those 2, only Taint runs a modern offense.

Most Iowa fans hate his offensive philosophy. You should visit their boards so you can see what they think.

Last edited:
They won a bunch of one score games against really poor opponents. I'm not going to sit here and say winning by two is the same as losing because obviously any win is better than a loss but very close games often come down to luck. When a team has a really great record in one score games, it tends to mean they were luckier than average and will regress to the mean the next year. See: Miami 2017 and 2018.

Advertisement
Back