The Problem Mario/We are Facing Going Forward(Long)

FrancisSawyer

All American
Premium
Mario has done an excellent job in acquiring talent, flipping the roster and remaking it with an emphasis on the trenches while beginning to stack elite skill talent as well. While his task here is hardly finished, he has been able to recruit at an elite level despite mediocre results in the field thus far in his first 2 seasons.

With the TVD era being over, the need to find a starting QB capable of taking this team and program to the next level has never been more apparent or more crucial. The all out pursuit of Cam Ward and subsequent failure to land him has brought two things to the forefront. The first being what I have already mentioned and that is just how badly this team is in need of a leader at the most important position who can provide consistently good to great play and elevate this offense to a point where we will be able to compete at a playoff level.

The second is more uncomfortable and the reason for this post. The problem Mario is faced with is the compounding and an exacerbation of the issue of perception that he came to Miami with in the first place. There was a growing perception that Mario was/is a destroyer of quarterbacks and by extension, offenses. He is known to be excessively conservative and a mediocre game day coach at best. Wether that perception was fair or not didn't matter. When he arrived in Miami one of the first things Mario should have gone out of his way to put to bed was that lingering negative reputation he had with QBs and with offense. That never happened and outside of the first 4 games of the 2023 season and the finale vs BC he actually double and tripled down on what is best described as a basic, slow, plodding, unimaginative and painfully conservative style of offense. The fact that this offense actually finished #26 in total offense was a minor miracle and a testament to the value of having a greatly improved offensive line.

However the problems weren't only in the style of offense. There were clearly issues with game management and Cristobal's style of game day coaching. In addition to this the inability to incorporate the game breaking speed available to this staff was jaw dropping. Players like Chris Johnson, Ray Ray Joseph and others went totally ignored while players like Brashard Smith were criminally underutilized. Shannon Dawson our second offensive coordinator in as many years was mostly not up to the task as he was unable or unwilling to do much outside of his base offense. Offensively we were routinely out coached and Dawson seemed to be unable to make teams pay for blitzing. Where were the screen passes? Where were the passes to the TEs? To the RBs? Where was the variation in the running game? Where was the development of the QBs?

Which brings us to the present. Mario had to know that in order to be able to get good to elite QBs to be interested in coming here he had to be able to offer an appealing type of offense to play in and a staff to develop them. It is crystal clear that at this point we offer neither! For as detail oriented and organized as Mario is purported to be, I find it shocking that he couldn't look far enough into the future to realize that having Shannon Dawson as his OC/QB coach just wasn't going to cut it in terms of being able to compete with other programs for elite QB talent plain and simple. So what exactly are we in position to offer a QB who is in demand? What QB is seriously going to want to play in this offense? What QB do we expect to be blown away by what we can offer in terms of development?

So now what? So we stick with Dawson for the sake of continuity and hope that we magically find a QB in the portal and that said QB proves to be the missing piece that we needed to make Dawson's mediocre offense look somewhat palatable? Do we bring in a 3rd coordinator in as many years? As bad as the optics would be, I am actually in favor of moving on from Dawson if the right option presents itself. Put me down as being in favor of making Ken Dorsey an offer to be OC/QB coach. Pay him as much as you need to get him here. Please note that I'm not in the pro Dorsey camp because he is a "Miami guy bro" but because he is absolutely qualified, doesn't run a bro style offense, is a proven developer of QBs, is very cerebral and intelligent, plus being a storied alum he has a vested interest in seeing the program succeed. Also he is intensely competitive and the type of guy who would have absolutely no problem telling Mario to eat a bag of dycks should the situation present itself. Plus he is available. Dorsey just makes a lot of sense if he is willing but I'm completely open minded to other options either in the college or the pro ranks. Assuming we keep Dawson because the optics of having a 3rd OC in 3 years would look bad then we need to bring in a proven QB coach to help him out or maybe bring in another offensive coach as an "offensive assistant" to help Dawson diversify the offense. The most important thing is that we make a move, any move in order to better position ourselves to be competitive in the QB market.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Disagree for the need to have an elite level quarterback to win look at Iowa there offense couldn’t move the ball to save there life and won 10 games last year. Alabama with milroe he decent but not a elite quarterback. And if we changing offense coordinator go get me Brennan Marion to run the go-go offense or Jamarcus shephard from Washington.

Disagree for the need to have an elite level quarterback to win look at Iowa there offense couldn’t move the ball to save there life and won 10 games last year. Alabama with milroe he decent but not a elite quarterback. And if we changing offense coordinator go get me Brennan Marion to run the go-go offense or Jamarcus shephard from Washington.
That is because outside of Michigan and OSU, the Big 10 was a ****show this year.

Advertisement
With all due respect, you missed the entire point of the post.

Not happe8nh, but I like it.
Forget I mentioned Ken Dorsey. It wasn't intended to be a Dorsey for OC post. Dorsey was just an example of the direction we may want to go but the crux of it is that we need to improve our offensive staff in order to compete for and develop good to elite QBs. For now they have no reason to come here. That needs to change.

Mario has only WORSENED his reputation as a QB killer since he got here. Ruined TVD (blame whoever you want. But bottom line is TVD had VERY HIGH national expectations going into 2022 and now has transferred out of the school). Sent Jake Garcia to transfer..and then Jacurri Brown, the only remaining 4* on the roster, didn't touch the ball all year and almost transferred as well before the bowl game. He called TVD the best QB in the country..and then ran him off.

He needs a miracle to overcome it this year or the stigma will linger for a long time, if not forever. And unfortunately it's one of those self-fulfilling prophesies because he won't be able to acquire elite QB talent because of his reputation and therefore will never have elite QB talent.

He needs a QB to OUTPLAY expectations this year and he needs TVD to underperform again.

If the opposite happens? It may become a mountain too high to climb for Mario. He will cement his methodical bro-ball legacy forever and become a Wisconsin of the South. A perennial 8-10 win team that never reaches the peak.

I still think it's ironic that TVD left Mario to get to a more QB friendly scheme and went to Wisconsin 😂. The perennial title holder of slow/methodical/bro-ball offenses during the last 2 decades (I understand that's not completely accurate and it's changing, but they definitely are known for that).

Advertisement
Forget I mentioned Ken Dorsey. It wasn't intended to be a Dorsey for OC post. Dorsey was just an example of the direction we may want to go but the crux of it is that we need to improve our offensive staff in order to compete for and develop good to elite QBs. For now they have no reason to come here. That needs to change.
Still disagree you don’t need an elite qb to win big, you need consistency at that position if you don’t have that elite qb. The receiver room still needs upgrading there’s no real number 1 guy currently. I believe we good at running back. The question is Mario going to give Dawson a fair shot at succeeding or failing because him being in the middle ain’t fair to Dawson. Dawson called some creative stuff not sure if he has the freedom to do what he wants

Still disagree you don’t need an elite qb to win big, you need consistency at that position if you don’t have that elite qb. The receiver room still needs upgrading there’s no real number 1 guy currently. I believe we good at running back. The question is Mario going to give Dawson a fair shot at succeeding or failing because him being in the middle ain’t fair to Dawson. Dawson called some creative stuff not sure if he has the freedom to do what he wants
With all due respect, this is a strawman argument as a never said we need an elite QB to win big. Reread my post.

Mario has done an excellent job in acquiring talent, flipping the roster and remaking it with an emphasis on the trenches while beginning to stack elite skill talent as well. While his task here is hardly finished, he has been able to recruit at an elite level despite mediocre results in the field thus far in his first 2 seasons.

With the TVD era being over, the need to find a starting QB capable of taking this team and program to the next level has never been more apparent or more crucial. The all out pursuit of Cam Ward and subsequent failure to land him has brought two things to the forefront. The first being what I have already mentioned and that is just how badly this team is in need of a leader at the most important position who can provide consistently good to great play and elevate this offense to a point where we will be able to compete at a playoff level.

The second is more uncomfortable and the reason for this post. The problem Mario is faced with is the compounding and an exacerbation of the issue of perception that he came to Miami with in the first place. There was a growing perception that Mario was/is a destroyer of quarterbacks and by extension, offenses. He is known to be excessively conservative and a mediocre game day coach at best. Wether that perception was fair or not didn't matter. When he arrived in Miami one of the first things Mario should have gone out of his way to put to bed was that lingering negative reputation he had with QBs and with offense. That never happened and outside of the first 4 games of the 2023 season and the finale vs BC he actually double and tripled down on what is best described as a basic, slow, plodding, unimaginative and painfully conservative style of offense. The fact that this offense actually finished #26 in total offense was a minor miracle and a testament to the value of having a greatly improved offensive line.

However the problems weren't only in the style of offense. There were clearly issues with game management and Cristobal's style of game day coaching. In addition to this the inability to incorporate the game breaking speed available to this staff was jaw dropping. Players like Chris Johnson, Ray Ray Joseph and others went totally ignored while players like Brashard Smith were criminally underutilized. Shannon Dawson our second offensive coordinator in as many years was mostly not up to the task as he was unable or unwilling to do much outside of his base offense. Offensively we were routinely out coached and Dawson seemed to be unable to make teams pay for blitzing. Where were the screen passes? Where were the passes to the TEs? To the RBs? Where was the variation in the running game? Where was the development of the QBs?

Which brings us to the present. Mario had to know that in order to be able to get good to elite QBs to be interesting in coming here he had to be able to offer an appealing type of offense to play in and a staff to develop them. It is crystal clear that at this point we offer neither! For as detail oriented and organized as Mario is purported to be, I find it shocking that he couldn't look far enough into the future to realize that having Shannon Dawson as his OC/QB coach just wasn't going to cut it in terms of being able to compete with other programs for elite QB talent plain and simple. So what exactly are we in position to offer a QB who is in demand? What QB is seriously going to want to play in this offense? What QB do we expect to be blown away by what we can offer in terms of development?

So now what? So we stick with Dawson for the sake of continuity and hope that we magically find a QB in the portal and that said QB proves to be the missing piece that we needed to make Dawson's mediocre offense look somewhat palatable? Do we bring in a 3rd coordinator in as many years? As bad as the optics would be, I am actually in favor of moving on from Dawson if the right option presents itself. Put me down as being in favor of making Ken Dorsey an offer to be OC/QB coach. Pay him as much as you need to get him here. Please note that I'm not in the pro Dorsey camp because he is a "Miami guy bro" but because he is absolutely qualified, doesn't run a bro style offense, is a proven developer of QBs, is very cerebral and intelligent, plus being a storied alum he has a vested interest in seeing the program succeed. Also he is intensely competitive and the type of guy who would have absolutely no problem telling Mario to eat a bag of dycks should the situation present itself. Plus he is available. Dorsey just makes a lot of sense if he is willing but I'm completely open minded to other options either in the college or the pro ranks. What is the most important thing is that we make a move in order to position ourselves to be competitive in the QB market.

I 1000% agree with your points and have been very vocal regarding Dawson and my major concerns of the offense.

I called it weeks ago that landing a top transfer QB would be difficult.

At this point I am writing off Mario and any hope of him getting this program to a top 5 level. His approach and track record on offense severely, and I mean severely, limits how successful we can be.

You think we are stuck now??? Imagine when we only win 7-8 games in 2024, and the stigma only grows.

Bruce Warner detailed these concerns very well… which I and several other posters have been mentioning for a while

Either Dawson sucks as an OC or Mario is dictating what can be called…. Either way it’s inexcusable and we are fuqed

You wanna call me a mope, go ahead. I’m telling you the sky is falling until Mario is forced to change his ways, because I wouldn’t bet he will do it in his own

I 1000% agree with your points and have been very vocal regarding Dawson and my major concerns of the offense.

I called it weeks ago that landing a top transfer QB would be difficult.

At this point I am writing off Mario and any hope of him getting this program to a top 5 level. His approach and track record on offense severely, and I mean severely, limits how successful we can be.

You think we are stuck now??? Imagine when we only win 7-8 games in 2024, and the stigma only grows.

Bruce Warner detailed these concerns very well… which I and several other posters have been mentioning for a while

Either Dawson sucks as an OC or Mario is dictating what can be called…. Either way it’s inexcusable and we are fuqed

You wanna call me a mope, go ahead. I’m telling you the sky is falling until Mario is forced to change his ways, because I wouldn’t bet he will do it in his own

We are on the same page my friend and yes that was exactly what I was trying to get across. I saw the Locked On Canes segment with Bruce Warner and thought the guy hit the nail right on the head. I especially appreciated what he said because it was something that needed to be said on that type of platform. I still think that Mario has the opportunity to turn this around but we are at a crucial juncture and the clock is ticking so he needs to make a move and get it on and soon.

Advertisement
Tell me something I don't know and to say Mario is at best an average day game coach is laughable. He is unquestionably the world's worst head coach when is comes to day game management. That is undisputable!
If you have read any of my other posts then you are well aware of how atrocious I think Mario is as a game day coach. I said he was mediocre at best which was a classy way of saying he really sucks. Thanks for the response though. Its always appreciated.

We are on the same page my friend and yes that was exactly what I was trying to get across. I saw the Locked On Canes segment with Bruce Warner and thought the guy hit the nail right on the head. I especially appreciated what he said because it was something that needed to be said on that type of platform. I still think that Mario has the opportunity to turn this around but we are at a crucial juncture and the clock is ticking so he needs to make a move and get it on and soon.

Aside from him having an epiphany and going and hiring a top 10 OC like Longo or Ludwig, who also have a track record of recruiting and developing QBs, and letting them have virtually complete control of the offense, I don’t know what move Mario can make to fix the offense and the trajectory of the team

If he doesn't, he won't be able to even hit a plateau of 9-10 wins through upgrading everywhere else. The top talent will transfer elsewhere in the portal era and it will be impossible to him to recruit his way out of the situation. If that happens then the recruiting advantage goes away, and Miami settles into a 5 to 6 win team annually for the rest of his tenure.

Advertisement
Aside from him having an epiphany and going and hiring a top 10 OC like Longo or Ludwig, who also have a track record of recruiting and developing QBs, and letting them have virtually complete control of the offense, I don’t know what move Mario can make to fix the offense and the trajectory of the team
I understand and while I agree with your point in general, I do believe he can hire someone that isn't necessarily top 10 and well known as long as he knows what he is doing and is a good coach.

If he doesn't, he won't be able to even hit a plateau of 9-10 wins through upgrading everywhere else. The top talent will transfer elsewhere in the portal era and it will be impossible to him to recruit his way out of the situation. If that happens then the recruiting advantage goes away, and Miami settles into a 5 to 6 win team annually for the rest of his tenure.

This is a very real possibility and aligns with my “sky is falling” statement

Ok so he destroyed TVD,threw him a life jacket this season & he TVD wet the bed again…Justin Herbert who everybody loves the prototype QB is under .500 (30-32)as a QB in the NFL with great talent on offense and defense…

Advertisement
Back