The Problem I Have With The "CEO"

All ACC
Premium
The elite coaches in the nation in recent history are all elite at one side of the ball. No matter who the coordinator is on the side of the ball they focus on, the offense/defense doesn't drop off because they have a system in place.

Saban- Defense
Petrino- Offense
Patterson- Defense
Petersen- Offense
Kelly- Offense
Meyer- Offense
Briles- Offense

These coaches need to make one hire to sure up the other side of the ball, most of them defensive.

Who are the "CEO" types that have little influence on both sides of the ball that are at least considered great coaches?

Richt at Georgia, Les Miles, can't even think of another. Richt and Miles not only needed to make the right hire on defense, (Miles nailed it with Chavis). They also needed to strike gold with an offensive coordinator. (Miles failed time and again). Since we all know Richt is kaka on the offensive side of the ball, he's going to have to bring in something completely different than what he's doing now. A CEO has to make successful hires on BOTH sides of the ball.

Is this day and age you you can't pummel your opponent with superior line play and talent, you need to have a schematic advantage as well. That's become painfully obvious with Miami football as of late.

What happens if he does bring in a great offensive coordinator? Unless they possess a Bud Foster/Venables type affinity for coordinating and not head coaching they'll be poached as soon as the offense starts firing. Same with Diaz on the defense. Unless your head coach is transcendent at one side of the ball it's going to be musical chairs for much of their tenure; kind of like Richt's defenses at Georgia.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I'd also add that most of the truly elite coaches -- Saban, Meyer, Patterson, Dantonio, Harbaugh, Petrino (I considered him elite even before this year), Peterson -- and even our own JJ, and Ericson, all had (successful) experience as HC's on teams where they didn't always have a built in talent advantage.

Outside of a brief one year stint at East Carolina, Richt has always been on a team where he had a recruiting and talent advantage. Yes, I understand UGA isn't exactly Alabama, LSU, or UF, but they aren't exactly Utah, Michigan State, Boise State, San Diego State, Stanford (at least before Harbaugh built them back up), TCU, Washington State, OK State, or Lousiville either. When you're at those schools, you have to consistently out-coach your opponents on a weekly basis.

I'd also add that most of the truly elite coaches -- Saban, Meyer, Patterson, Dantonio, Harbaugh, Petrino (I considered him elite even before this year), Peterson -- and even our own JJ, and Ericson, all had (successful) experience as HC's on teams where they didn't always have a built in talent advantage.

Outside of a brief one year stint at East Carolina, Richt has always been on a team where he had a recruiting and talent advantage. Yes, I understand UGA isn't exactly Alabama, LSU, or UF, but they aren't exactly Utah, Michigan State, Boise State, San Diego State, Stanford (at least before Harbaugh built them back up), TCU, Washington State, OK State, or Lousiville either. When you're at those schools, you have to consistently out-coach your opponents on a weekly basis.

And is the exact reason Herman is THAT Dude right now. That doesn't prove that Richt isn't a great coach; but i'm still looking for definitive proof other than a Bob Stoops like winning percentage that this guy can win a championship in 2016 on.

And is the exact reason Herman is THAT Dude right now. That doesn't prove that Richt isn't a great coach; but i'm still looking for definitive proof other than a Bob Stoops like winning percentage that this guy can win a championship in 2016 on.

You keep mentioning Herman what the **** has he done.. 1 year of success doesn't mean ****. He wet the bed against Navy and his team is allowing over 29ppg. Again you guys crown anyone with a pulse. I don't even know why I wasted my breath is this wack thread. Don't respond to me continue with this wonderful thread.

You keep mentioning Herman what the **** has he done.. 1 year of success doesn't mean ****. He wet the bed against Navy and his team is allowing over 29ppg. Again you guys crown anyone with a pulse. I don't even know why I wasted my breath is this wack thread. Don't respond to me continue with this wonderful thread.

Do you not want me to respond because you know I'd tell you you sound like whining **** right now, or because you're making up stats?

Last edited:
Advertisement

I can't take people like you seriously. Herman took over a team that went 5-7, 8-5, 8-5 the 3 years prior and is 19-2 with wins over FSU and Oklahoma.

He's an offensive guy:

2014: 414ypg, 29.8 ppg
---------
2015: 484ypg, 40.4 ppg
2016: 505ypg, 42.7 ppg

Imagine that. Killing it our your side of the ball and going 19-2 in your 1st 21 games. You are right, he hasn't done anything.

Advertisement
Mark could be the QB coach and have heavy involvement in the offense. He could still bring in a "pro style" under center OC so long as they come from a Peterson type tree, or NFL system.

That would solve everything. Keeps Richt right in the thick of things, but strips him of play calling duties.

[SOUNDCLOUD][/SOUNDCLOUD]

I can't take people like you seriously. Herman took over a team that went 5-7, 8-5, 8-5 the 3 years prior and is 19-2 with wins over FSU and Oklahoma.

He's an offensive guy:

---------

Imagine that. Killing it our your side of the ball and going 19-2 in your 1st 21 games. You are right, he hasn't done anything.

Jw is an idiot. Herman just might become the highest paid coach after this off season. UT and LSU are going to battle it out for him.

When and where did Urban Meyer call offensive plays, or serve as an OC?

I thought he went from WR coach at Notre Dame to the HC at Bowling Green?

Last edited:
Advertisement
Mark could be the QB coach and have heavy involvement in the offense. He could still bring in a "pro style" under center OC so long as they come from a Peterson type tree, or NFL system.

That would solve everything. Keeps Richt right in the thick of things, but strips him of play calling duties.

Why would it have to be a pro-style system? With the athletes that we have at our disposal in our backyard if we ran an uptempo spread type of offense, think Baylor, we would be unstoppable.

He's an offensive guy:

---------

And his defense has been solid. 19 PPG not 29.

Last edited:
Advertisement

Why would it have to be a pro-style system? With the athletes that we have at our disposal in our backyard if we ran an uptempo spread type of offense, think Baylor, we would be unstoppable.

I agree. I just meant if Richt is adamant on running that offense. After all it is what he's familiar with.

I would take a Jedd Fisch/Richt combo any day of the week. Fisch was so under appreciated here. And with Richt's recruiting and Ajax ability, Fischs potential could be maximized.

The elite coaches in the nation in recent history are all elite at one side of the ball. No matter who the coordinator is on the side of the ball they focus on, the offense/defense doesn't drop off because they have a system in place.

Saban- Defense
Petrino- Offense
Patterson- Defense
Petersen- Offense
Kelly- Offense
Meyer- Offense
Briles- Offense

These coaches need to make one hire to sure up the other side of the ball, most of them defensive.

Who are the "CEO" types that have little influence on both sides of the ball that are at least considered great coaches?

Richt at Georgia, Les Miles, can't even think of another. Richt and Miles not only needed to make the right hire on defense, (Miles nailed it with Chavis). They also needed to strike gold with an offensive coordinator. (Miles failed time and again). Since we all know Richt is kaka on the offensive side of the ball, he's going to have to bring in something completely different than what he's doing now. A CEO has to make successful hires on BOTH sides of the ball.

Is this day and age you you can't pummel your opponent with superior line play and talent, you need to have a schematic advantage as well. That's become painfully obvious with Miami football as of late.

What happens if he does bring in a great offensive coordinator? Unless they possess a Bud Foster/Venables type affinity for coordinating and not head coaching they'll be poached as soon as the offense starts firing. Same with Diaz on the defense. Unless your head coach is transcendent at one side of the ball it's going to be musical chairs for much of their tenure; kind of like Richt's defenses at Georgia.

That's actually exactly how you pummel opponents. The elite spread teams have superior line play and talent.

Urb might call it his spread option offense because that's the kind of guy he is, but it's Dan Mullen's offense. Mullen created, installed, and ran that offense for Urb at Bowling Green, Utah and UF.

Urb's strength is leadership and being a boss. He's no technical wiz.

Saban- Defense
Petrino- Offense
Patterson- Defense
Petersen- Offense
Kelly- Offense
Meyer- Offense
Briles- Offense

That's actually exactly how you pummel opponents. The elite spread teams have superior line play and talent.

The best offensives do/have those things; but you need the coaching or it all goes to ****. The ENTIRE starting 2013 offense is in the NFL right now and that offense finished 33rd in ppg. Were there 32 teams with better line play and talent?

Advertisement
Back