The players are responsible for the bad defense

Advertisement
Can't continue to blame players when teams with less talented guys are making it happen.

Schematically we don't do our players any favors.
There's no reason our RB should get out-gained by App State's RB. Without King's improvised scrambles App State out-gains Miami on the ground. They ran the ball better than we did (organically).

I don't think it was a "terrible" game defensively, but there's still glaring weaknesses that will show up bigger against better opponents. Just my opinion. Same thing I said after last year's UAB game.

We continue to let subpar opponents look good/decent against us. People always make excuses for it.
"This happened. That happened. We adjusted. Blah blah blah."
But my thing is...why can't we just curb-stomp somebody for once? (especially when we have better players)

I'll tell you why (IMO)...
Because we get too cutesy on defense and ALLOW PLAYS.
The best defenses line-up sound and MAKE YOU BEAT THEM.
We don't do that. We're gonna give you plays from time to time by being un-sound or out of position.

The Seattle Seahawks (for example) basically only played 2 coverages during the 'Legion of Boom' era.
Cover-1 and Cover-3. They made them look identical pre-snap. They kept **** simple and said "fvck the gimmicks, we ain't givin' you ****, let me see you beat us!"

But at Miami we wanna run schemes that completely vacate a zone/area and HOPE the QB doesn't find it.
If he finds it, a simple 7 yard throw ends up being a 14 yard gain.
I’ve been beating this drum since manny got here. Dude wants to be viewed as some x/o coach like he’s Jim Johnson, but he’s not. He does so much unnecessary stuff just to look cute. That’s one thing coaches around the Acc say every year.

When his *** was on the line and puckering Saturday guess what we did? Press man and made their best guy beat our best guy. It’s so frustrating when you see a coach constantly putting kids in harms way schematically and it’s not necessary.

You can literally see the bad matchup in pre snap. One play we were doing one of his silly blitzes and BB is lined up at safety over a wr. It’s obvious it’s a blitz and the safety isn’t sitting in coverage, he’s manning up with the slot. App state called a play with the slot cooked BB. That’s fish in a barrel. It’s so **** frustrating but people here still defend yhis bsz

Can't continue to blame players when teams with less talented guys are making it happen.

Schematically we don't do our players any favors.
There's no reason our RB should get out-gained by App State's RB. Without King's improvised scrambles App State out-gains Miami on the ground. They ran the ball better than we did (organically).

I don't think it was a "terrible" game defensively, but there's still glaring weaknesses that will show up bigger against better opponents. Just my opinion. Same thing I said after last year's UAB game.

We continue to let subpar opponents look good/decent against us. People always make excuses for it.
"This happened. That happened. We adjusted. Blah blah blah."
But my thing is...why can't we just curb-stomp somebody for once? (especially when we have better players)

I'll tell you why (IMO)...
Because we get too cutesy on defense and ALLOW PLAYS.
The best defenses line-up sound and MAKE YOU BEAT THEM.
We don't do that. We're gonna give you plays from time to time by being un-sound or out of position.

The Seattle Seahawks (for example) basically only played 2 coverages during the 'Legion of Boom' era.
Cover-1 and Cover-3. They made them look identical pre-snap. They kept **** simple and said "fvck the gimmicks, we ain't givin' you ****, let me see you beat us!"

But at Miami we wanna run schemes that completely vacate a zone/area and HOPE the QB doesn't find it.
If he finds it, a simple 7 yard throw ends up being a 14 yard gain.

Same thing we do up-front with all of our slanting/stunting.
If it works we make a TFL and all is well. When it doesn't work we give up an easy 20 yard gain to some RB who will be working as an accountant next year.
I'm not familiar with his history, but did Shoop run pattern match with his back 7 at his previous DC gigs? Idk why he wouldn't impress upon manny that his fire zone scheme is seriously flawed and too easy to find success against. I seriously cannot understand how diaz defends the horrendous spot dropping philosophy, especially when he's been here as long as he has. The drawback to teaching match defense is the time, but that argument doesnt stand imo because he's been here since 2016. I feel like playing cover 1/3 and making them look identical pre-snap would work fairly well for the players miami has at corner

Advertisement
Saban pretty much said this d scheme is a joke, explained why it is exposed during a press conference, then went out and did exactly what he said was going to happen.

Stop going to games and buying gear

That ship has passed, it is beyond that now. With all the other ACC money that comes in and TV money, I don't think admin really cares at this point if folks show up to the games.

Defensive problems are a combo of really questionable and undefined strategy scheme but also terrible personnel deployment, awful recruiting and a lack of focus and discipline. We don’t put our guys in good position schematically and then they don’t make the play when their number is called. There are only so many times our guys are actually put in position to make a play and then just don’t. Look at everyone’s favorite JAG Ivey here. He can be the guy that tackles the RB in the hole and gets us off the field. But why is Ivey in this position? Why is the CB the one playing the C gap against a bigger RB in 4th and short in the first place? Where is our DL going? Do we have linebackers? And that’s how you get bad defense

View attachment 154199
Facts, bruh.

Advertisement
The D gave up 15 points. Wasn't pretty and app state helped with drops, but if your D holds an opponent to 15 points that should be enough to win most games. Lashlees offense only scoring 25 on a very undersized D should be your bigger concern.
The defense is exactly where I thought they would be.
The offense has been a disappointment.
Yeah, that's putting it lightly.

Not defending Manny or any of the defensive coaches but we have some of the lowest IQ defensive players I've ever seen. Like what the **** are some of these guys doing out there as guys are just running by them wide open? A guy like Bubba Bolden who wants his name in the rafters of the IPF is allowing guys to run wide open behind him? I'm not even talking about the LB play because we already know how atrocious that is.
I called bubba bolden overrated last week and got killed for it on here

The dude is just average at best ! Bubba went Hollywood on us…

I'm not familiar with his history, but did Shoop run pattern match with his back 7 at his previous DC gigs? Idk why he wouldn't impress upon manny that his fire zone scheme is seriously flawed and too easy to find success against. I seriously cannot understand how diaz defends the horrendous spot dropping philosophy, especially when he's been here as long as he has. The drawback to teaching match defense is the time, but that argument doesnt stand imo because he's been here since 2016. I feel like playing cover 1/3 and making them look identical pre-snap would work fairly well for the players miami has at corner
He ran alot of quarters coverage with tons of zone blitzes also.

Advertisement
I’ve been beating this drum since manny got here. Dude wants to be viewed as some x/o coach like he’s Jim Johnson, but he’s not. He does so much unnecessary stuff just to look cute. That’s one thing coaches around the Acc say every year.
Exactly this. "What if I do something...cuh-raaazy?" As if him doing some unnecessarily exotic movement will cause the offensive players to fall down in the fetal position. It's like he's getting all his ideas from when he designed his own bonkers plays on NFL Blitz as a kid and went undefeated vs his friends, except that in the background his dad was paying off Manny's friends to let him win.

When his *** was on the line and puckering Saturday guess what we did? Press man and made their best guy beat our best guy. It’s so frustrating when you see a coach constantly putting kids in harms way schematically and it’s not necessary.

You can literally see the bad matchup in pre snap. One play we were doing one of his silly blitzes and BB is lined up at safety over a wr. It’s obvious it’s a blitz and the safety isn’t sitting in coverage, he’s manning up with the slot. App state called a play with the slot cooked BB. That’s fish in a barrel. It’s so **** frustrating but people here still defend yhis bsz

This. Manny emphasizes aggression over fundamental defense. The problem with the way he perceives it is that he thinks aggression means calling stupid *** blitzes that he schemed up when he was stoned one night. Aggression is tackling well and running to the ball. We always play better on defense when we have a sense of urgency, there's a glaring defense -- last drive against App St is an example. There's a clip of Ivey, yes IVEY, running across the field to make a tackle and prevent a first down on that drive. ND 2016 reminds me a lot of this on defense too. We play more confident on D when we are pressed and forced to go back to the basics.

We are also way better in man than zone. Our guys look poorly coached and lost in zone D under Manny. How many times did App St or Bama have multiple guys wide *** open against our zone D, or last season, or the season before. Gotta give our guys a chance and if that means simplifying the defense then so be it. We have a similar issue with OL, we have no idea who to block at times, it's hard to watch. It's been an achilles heal for us for awhile obviously and step 1 is getting them to understand their assignments and step 2 is to then recruit better there (obviously). Recruiting skill positions is a dime a dozen, but there are only so many mammoths who are good at football walking around on Earth. It separates good from elite.

Next problem is how Manny recruits for his "scheme". We lack physicality especially at LB. Flagg is unimposing and we have 2 safeties playing outside LB. Smith is nearly undersized at SS let alone LB. Shaq wasnt the biggest but at least he was patient and read the play before attacking. Now, we attack with no regard for play diagnosis and we arent nearly physical enough to get away with it. 2016 we got away with it because we had a physical defense -- C. Thomas, Mcintosh, Norton, Carter, Colbert, Jenkins, **** even Corn was a little jack rabbit. This issue is apparent with our WR's too. I dont mind having a shify, undersized guy or two on the roster to play slot, but we try to fill the position with these guys now because "South FL Dog, bro." Rhett, you can't call bubble screens every other play when you have Harley, Pope, and Wiggins blocking.

Advertisement
I want to revisit something about scheme and philosophy, which are two different things but go hand and hand. Our front is designed to create havoc and we cover in Palms/Cover 6. Theoretically, I suppose, Manny wants to cause the qb to panic and make a mistake or dump it off and rally to the football. We keep everything in front of us (in theory), but then we DON’T TACKLE WELL. If your philosophy is to rally and bring the ball carrier to the ground, but you aren’t a great tackling team, then how can you execute your plan? It happens in run support, too. This defense REQUIRES two safeties that can tackle. There is no coincidence why our best defensive years had Rayshawn, JJ, and Redwine in regular rotation. Our safeties clean up so much. So on top of having poor tackling safeties that suck at angles, the other teams know and have adjusted. That’s why we see counters and cutbacks; they are betting that we will flow out of the play in the front seven and their guy will beat our guy one on one. They usually do

Secondly, Manny is an analytics guy. He admitted that App St did not show counters on tape and he wasn’t prepared. This is like the nerd that buys all the test prep for the standardized test and then freaks out and doesn’t do well because the questions aren’t exactly the same. If you’re a baseball fan, you see this all the time with modern managers (see Snell being pulled by Cash). It’s almost paralysis by analysis. To me, this is the scariest part of Manny and why we often times need until half time to adjust

I don’t think this defense is fixable with this scheme and philosophy. The best thing we can do is play better complimentary football and score more or make them drive the length almost every time. This will not be a shut down unit against anyone that doesn’t beat themselves

I want to revisit something about scheme and philosophy, which are two different things but go hand and hand. Our front is designed to create havoc and we cover in Palms/Cover 6. Theoretically, I suppose, Manny wants to cause the qb to panic and make a mistake or dump it off and rally to the football. We keep everything in front of us (in theory), but then we DON’T TACKLE WELL. If your philosophy is to rally and bring the ball carrier to the ground, but you aren’t a great tackling team, then how can you execute your plan? It happens in run support, too. This defense REQUIRES two safeties that can tackle. There is no coincidence why our best defensive years had Rayshawn, JJ, and Redwine in regular rotation. Our safeties clean up so much. So on top of having poor tackling safeties that suck at angles, the other teams know and have adjusted. That’s why we see counters and cutbacks; they are betting that we will flow out of the play in the front seven and their guy will beat our guy one on one. They usually do

Secondly, Manny is an analytics guy. He admitted that App St did not show counters on tape and he wasn’t prepared. This is like the nerd that buys all the test prep for the standardized test and then freaks out and doesn’t do well because the questions aren’t exactly the same. If you’re a baseball fan, you see this all the time with modern managers (see Snell being pulled by Cash). It’s almost paralysis by analysis. To me, this is the scariest part of Manny and why we often times need until half time to adjust

I don’t think this defense is fixable with this scheme and philosophy. The best thing we can do is play better complimentary football and score more or make them drive the length almost every time. This will not be a shut down unit against anyone that doesn’t beat themselves
I wish we could put a different coach in shoops spot and let him be the dc. Let Manny be the coach and lb coach and let shoop call the plays and move to his defense. He's a more successful dc. I know it can't happen but I think we could've been better if he was DC this year

Advertisement
Back