The players are responsible for the bad defense

According to Manny Diaz.

clown-manny.jpg

LOL we are not a serious football progrum.

The D gave up 15 points. Wasn't pretty and app state helped with drops, but if your D holds an opponent to 15 points that should be enough to win most games. Lashlees offense only scoring 25 on a very undersized D should be your bigger concern.

Advertisement
It's literally crazy.

AppState executes what they do very well.

Having said that, you shouldn't need to get cute to impose your will on them. You should be beating them man for man. Even with what I said was a liability going into the season, our front seven.

There is no way any linebacker worth a crap should come here and play for Manny. DE's, sure as they aren't expected to seal the edge, just get up the field after the QB.

I would love to hear a candid take from Randy Shannon on this defense. WHY? Randy was as rigid as they come on assignment football and containing plays to his detriment at times. Manny is just guessing every down and that literally leaves a coverage breakdown every single play. He's a gambler, an extreme one at that. The way we'll overload a side of the field at times is mind blowing. Randy's head probably spins whenever he watches us play.
What is mind boggling is how are we agressive up front, and soft on the backend. We blitz like crazy, while playing 10 yards off the receivers. If the blitz doesn't get home the ball will probably come out fast yet we are so far back that it's an easy completion. Makes no sense. And we just absolutely refuse to touch any opposing receiver to disrupt their timing. We are the definition of passive agressive.

Our older players resort to hero ball and leave their responsibilities as soon as the game gets going. You can complain about I’ve bring the one there but the fact is he didn’t even touch the guy. Both CBs from App St make that tackle. May give up the first down but not the d there. The real problem was how many guys guessed it was going wide.

Our older players resort to hero ball and leave their responsibilities as soon as the game gets going. You can complain about I’ve bring the one there but the fact is he didn’t even touch the guy. Both CBs from App St make that tackle. May give up the first down but not the d there. The real problem was how many guys guessed it was going wide.
You be thinking you're being different. You will listen to the excuses and blame the players for a while but when they continue to do it under a coach who has been in their development for 6 years, then you are only defending him for personal reasons and not logical ones

Oh no. There’s so much wrong with this team it has to be on the coaches. But there’s also a piece of players needing to make a play. It’s a group effort to do this much wrong in a game.

Advertisement
Not defending Manny or any of the defensive coaches but we have some of the lowest IQ defensive players I've ever seen. Like what the **** are some of these guys doing out there as guys are just running by them wide open? A guy like Bubba Bolden who wants his name in the rafters of the IPF is allowing guys to run wide open behind him? I'm not even talking about the LB play because we already know how atrocious that is.

What is mind boggling is how are we agressive up front, and soft on the backend. We blitz like crazy, while playing 10 yards off the receivers. If the blitz doesn't get home the ball will probably come out fast yet we are so far back that it's an easy completion. Makes no sense. And we just absolutely refuse to touch any opposing receiver to disrupt their timing. We are the definition of passive agressive.
It’s intentionally designed that way to prevent the big play. It’s stupid because it leaves the middle of the field wide open. He’s gambling that the blitz gets home but if it doesn’t then at least he’s dropped his safeties far enough that they won’t give up the big play. It’s a disjointed mess that doesn’t work if you don’t consistently get to the QB. He’s playing two different types of defenses in one thinking he’s getting the best of both worlds yet he’s utterly failing because his defense has been figured out and he hasn’t recruited well enough to cover up the ineptness of the scheme.

Defensive problems are a combo of really questionable and undefined strategy scheme but also terrible personnel deployment, awful recruiting and a lack of focus and discipline. We don’t put our guys in good position schematically and then they don’t make the play when their number is called. There are only so many times our guys are actually put in position to make a play and then just don’t. Look at everyone’s favorite JAG Ivey here. He can be the guy that tackles the RB in the hole and gets us off the field. But why is Ivey in this position? Why is the CB the one playing the C gap against a bigger RB in 4th and short in the first place? Where is our DL going? Do we have linebackers? And that’s how you get bad defense

View attachment 154199
Perfect example of Manny's terrible gap integrity and pre-snap positioning, putting guys in TERRIBLE position and disadvantages at the snap.

You clearly see 2 DT in the same gap, as well as the LB with inside leverage on top of that. That LB needs to be shaded to the outside hip of that DT if the call is for him to jump inside, or at least stacked directly behind with his first step outside. Getting sealed like that with zero safety help and only a CB left (who should be focused on that receiver/back flaring out) is going to bring back shades of UNC 2020. Again, WHERE THE **** ARE THE SAFETIES??!! ****, Manny scared of getting beat deep on every play.

Also - how is any concept where you DT and DE are 5 yards apart expected to be successful, unless you are clearing that gap to run a stunt or blitz? The formations and gap spacing of this Madden D continue to baffle me.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Is this serious?

“When we don’t play defense to the standard of what we expect at Miami, it’s not just so much about the play calling, in particular, as if there’s a special secret to that,” Diaz told 560-AM. “It’s just about accountability. The accountability goes right to me for us to play great defense at UM. By putting myself in that role, what we are able to do as a staff is we can put the accountability then on the players because, then with the head coach calling the show on defense, there’s nowhere to hide now for our team.”

Advertisement
His entire team is poorly coached and undisciplined because their leader is a soft clown that holds no one accountable and speaks in nonsensical Instagram quotes.
we have been talking about tackling forever and to date nothing has change ( you can't get anymore fundamental then that). Now on Saturday our seniors and supposedlly best receivers couldn't catch a cold: I mean its so frustrating, when the only highlights are your kickers

Don't get it either :

I noticed a couple times vs App State our nearest Cornerback wasn't even on the TV screen. A simple hitch or 5-yard anything is an easy completion no matter the QB.

Can't continue to blame players when teams with less talented guys are making it happen.

Schematically we don't do our players any favors.
There's no reason our RB should get out-gained by App State's RB. Without King's improvised scrambles App State out-gains Miami on the ground. They ran the ball better than we did (organically).

I don't think it was a "terrible" game defensively, but there's still glaring weaknesses that will show up bigger against better opponents. Just my opinion. Same thing I said after last year's UAB game.

We continue to let subpar opponents look good/decent against us. People always make excuses for it.
"This happened. That happened. We adjusted. Blah blah blah."
But my thing is...why can't we just curb-stomp somebody for once? (especially when we have better players)

I'll tell you why (IMO)...
Because we get too cutesy on defense and ALLOW PLAYS.
The best defenses line-up sound and MAKE YOU BEAT THEM.
We don't do that. We're gonna give you plays from time to time by being un-sound or out of position.

The Seattle Seahawks (for example) basically only played 2 coverages during the 'Legion of Boom' era.
Cover-1 and Cover-3. They made them look identical pre-snap. They kept **** simple and said "fvck the gimmicks, we ain't givin' you ****, let me see you beat us!"

But at Miami we wanna run schemes that completely vacate a zone/area and HOPE the QB doesn't find it.
If he finds it, a simple 7 yard throw ends up being a 14 yard gain.

Same thing we do up-front with all of our slanting/stunting.
If it works we make a TFL and all is well. When it doesn't work we give up an easy 20 yard gain to some RB who will be working as an accountant next year.

Advertisement
Back