The oldest team Miami has had..

Advertisement
We need to continue to keep draft eligible juniors who aren’t projected early round picks from leaving early. One of the biggest reasons why recent era Miami teams consistently struggle against lesser talented conference opponents is simply the fact that a lot of the time, we’re plugging lineup holes with transfers or undeveloped first year players. Meanwhile The Virginias and Georgia Techs of the world are lining up a bunch of 21 and 22 year old grown men. If you’re Alabama or Ohio State and you can just plug in another 5 star player, early attrition isn’t a big deal. We did it for a while in the early part of the century but we don’t recruit like that anymore. Instead we’re forced to rely on guys like Zion Nelson and Jon Ford to play significant minutes when they had no business being on the field. The fact that we couldn’t redshirt low ranked linemen recruits at positions usually dominated by upperclassmen shows how much the attrition hurt our depth.

We need to continue to keep draft eligible juniors who aren’t projected early round picks from leaving early. One of the biggest reasons why recent era Miami teams consistently struggle against lesser talented conference opponents is simply the fact that a lot of the time, we’re plugging lineup holes with transfers or undeveloped first year players. Meanwhile The Virginias and Georgia Techs of the world are lining up a bunch of 21 and 22 year old grown men. If you’re Alabama or Ohio State and you can just plug in another 5 star player, early attrition isn’t a big deal. We did it for a while in the early part of the century but we don’t recruit like that anymore. Instead we’re forced to rely on guys like Zion Nelson and Jon Ford to play significant minutes when they had no business being on the field. The fact that we couldn’t redshirt low ranked linemen recruits at positions usually dominated by upperclassmen shows how much the attrition hurt our depth.
While I get your overall point. The OL analogy is far from this situation. It wasn’t that we had a bunch of OLs leave early. We had plenty of bodies. It’s that the guys we recruited suck.

Advertisement
Yeah this year is the year. If we don’t take the next step forward this year...I don’t know when we will.

we have the QB, RB depth, OL depth, good secondary, DL will eat. The only real hole this team has is LB, but I like flagg’s game a lot. And Mallory needs to stay healthy.

clemson is the most vulnerable they have been in recent years. Miami has zero excuses to not be in the ACC championship and have it be a competitive game and then be in the orange bowl and be competitive there. That’s the floor in my opinion.

While I get your overall point. The OL analogy is far from this situation. It wasn’t that we had a bunch of OLs leave early. We had plenty of bodies. It’s that the guys we recruited suck.
It’s not even that the guys we recruited all sucked. We just didn’t recruit anybody and got stuck with a bunch of first and second year offensive linemen. The 2019 team had one junior lineman (Donaldson) and one senior who was a transfer (Kennedy). It’s like they didn’t bother recruiting linemen for a couple of years.

Even with a really good year I don't think Nelson will get the National attention a top pick would get. IMO, he should use that momentum into a senior year that he would then be on watch list for and a national name. "hopefully!"

You can have a lot of guys back. But if those guys weren’t good it’s a moot point. I think Ivey and blades might be able to take a step with new coaching. Pope and Wiggins imo should only be depth/backups. Jennings should never see the field. Even tho he will. Carter sucks. Now he has to learn a new position. Awesome

Advertisement
Even with a really good year I don't think Nelson will get the National attention a top pick would get. IMO, he should use that momentum into a senior year that he would then be on watch list for and a national name. "hopefully!"
He's already on some expert's radars. If he has a good year he can easily sneak in the first. Will be great for the Canes and great for him. Scenarios like this are when I'm happy for the player to leave early. Represented The U well and put themselves in the best position to earn life changing guaranteed money.

This wouldn't be a situation as in the past when players that still need work/tape leave early only to flame out.

It’s way too early to think about that yet. Let’s see if he actually plays like an above average P5 left tackle before crowning him even being drafted. People mocking him in the first round now have a ***** loose. The same idiots had Kayak and Morris as 1st rounders.

Last edited:
Blessing and a curse since most of the old guard will be handed starting jobs based on their age, and not necessarily their production. McCloud, Ford, Carter, Jennings, Steed, Hall, Ivey on defense. Harris, Pope, Wiggins, Scaife, Donaldson, Gaynor on offense.

Since I can remember.
We could lose 23 players minimum, maybe
More.

After we lose these players to draft/eligibility:

King

Harris

Harley

Pope

Wiggins

Rambo

Mallory

J. Williams

Donaldson

Gaynor

Scaife

D. Johnson

Silvera

Ford

Jennings

Steed

Stevenson

Ivey

Blades

Bolden

Carter

Hall

Hedley

2022 lineup-

QB-Van Dyke/Garcia

RB-Chaney/Knighton

TE-Arroyo/Mammorelli

WR-Redding/Brinson

WR-Restrepo/Smith

WR-Smith/George

OL-Nelson/McCloughlin

OL-Rivers/Troure

C-Clark/Rodriguez

OL-Campbell/Seymore

OL-Walker/Washington

DE-Harvey/Ch. Williams

DT-Miller/E. Roberts

DT-Harrison-Hunte/Taylor

DE-C. Williams/T. Davis

Str-K. Smith/Smith

LB-Flagg/Austin-Cave

LB-Brooks/Huff

CB-Couch/Clarke

CB-Dunson/Curtis

S-A. Williams/Balom

S-J. Williams/Kitchens

This shows how important 2021 season is for Manny and the program. Also looking at 2022 lineup, have we recruited well enough?
I'm confident that 2022 team will be better than this coming year's team. Obviously, risk at qb, but I think with Lashee's offense either Garcia or TVD will succeed. Who on the current team who won't be here in 2022 do you say OMG what are we going to do without him---Hedley? Mallory?

**** there are guys who won't start this season (but available in 2022) who would be upgrades if they did start this year.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back