The Official RSA Coral Gables Depth Chart (starters) UM @ Louisville

He's had a bad career if we're being honest.

He shouldn't be starting, I didn't think he'd be very good coming into this season & he played below average outside of his pass breakup play, he just can't change direction & to be as big as he is he gets engulfed by interior lineman in the hole too often & is a big slow lumbering backer covering the flats.

That's the main issue with Diaz as a HC, he always defers to seniority on Defense regardless of how bad they may be.

Brooks and steed looked better yesterday. Jennings was solid. Steed is my guy so I watched him close and he was making the right read every time and made the tackle. I thought he should of got more burn.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Its time we look at Mccloud for what he is.

When has he had a good day?
Exactly, I had the same thought last year when they said he was coming back. If you start for a few years and don't get any better, you're just not that good to begin with.

He shouldn't be starting, I didn't think he'd be very good coming into this season & he played below average outside of his pass breakup play, he just can't change direction & to be as big as he is he gets engulfed by interior lineman in the hole too often & is a big slow lumbering backer covering the flats.

That's the main issue with Diaz as a HC, he always defers to seniority on Defense regardless of how bad they may be.
Not to be a **** but I really hope he doesn't come back next year. This **** staff will probably start him.

Brooks and steed looked better yesterday. Jennings was solid. Steed is my guy so I watched him close and he was making the right read every time and made the tackle. I thought he should of got more burn.

Congrats @waynejr31 !!!

Must have felt good for Waynmon to make it all the way byke.

Advertisement

Agreed. Winners don’t coach like that. Díaz better change that if he wants to succeed here.

Can we kill the striker position and run a regular attacking 4-3 please? Have Huff, Brooks & Steed be the starting trio at LB? Work Keontra in at safety more? Work Payton, Redding & Keyshawn in at receiver more?

I agree with putting Couch at boundary corner. And I wasn't pleased with Phillips' performance. The O-line stinks but there is nothing we can do to fix it right now, I say recruit JUCOs.

What's his issue man? I remember being impressed with him in his freshman year against Duke, and being satisfied with what he showed against Pitt last year. You say he's slow changing directions, and gets stuffed by blockers, but I've seen him when he's confident and he looks like a serious athlete.

But you're right, he doesn't plug any holes, always a step late in coverage, and posters are saying he consistently makes the wrong decision filling gaps.. What do you think is stopping McCloud from at least making some plays here and there like Pinckney did? Is he overrated athletically or just can't get it to click mentally?

I liked what I saw from Steed too, 2 ACLs but my guy still looks fast! Maybe he's just got the best instincts out there

Advertisement
What's his issue man? I remember being impressed with him in his freshman year against Duke, and being satisfied with what he showed against Pitt last year. You say he's slow changing directions, and gets stuffed by blockers, but I've seen him when he's confident and he looks like a serious athlete.

But you're right, he doesn't plug any holes, always a step late in coverage, and posters are saying he consistently makes the wrong decision filling gaps.. What do you think is stopping McCloud from at least making some plays here and there like Pinckney did? Is he overrated athletically or just can't get it to click mentally?
He's definitely overrated athletically, but with him his issue has always been low football awareness, despite being in this defense for 5 years he still makes mental errors & is constantly guessing which gaps to shoot, he's also a big time over pursuer that once he commits to whichever direction he's gonna go he cannot stop & shift to get back, he runs himself out of plays way too often for an upperclassmen.

He's just not a very instinctual player & then combine that with all the extra added weight he's put on since his Frosh year he's just gotten big & slow.

A lot of it IMO is the fact he's not really playing his natural position, he is a Sam Backer in a traditional 4-3 style Defense, but we got rid of the Sam & replaced it with the Hybrid Striker in order to adapt to Spread offenses & have an extra versatile defender on the field, so he's been moved to Mike & Will backer but has never really been comfortable in either spot.

Either way, Brooks, Steed, Jennings, Huff, TAC & Flagg should be our main LB's IMO, we should go with the Youth & Speed movement at LB, experience is irrelevant if you simply lack the tools to actually utilize that experience.

Advertisement
He's definitely overrated athletically, but with him his issue has always been low football awareness, despite being in this defense for 5 years he still makes mental errors & is constantly guessing which gaps to shoot, he's also a big time over pursuer that once he commits to whichever direction he's gonna go he cannot stop & shift to get back, he runs himself out of plays way too often for an upperclassmen.

He's just not a very instinctual player & then combine that with all the extra added weight he's put on since his Frosh year he's just gotten big & slow.

A lot of it IMO is the fact he's not really playing his natural position, he is a Sam Backer in a traditional 4-3 style Defense, but we got rid of the Sam & replaced it with the Hybrid Striker in order to adapt to Spread offenses & have an extra versatile defender on the field, so he's been moved to Mike & Will backer but has never really been comfortable in either spot.

Either way, Brooks, Steed, Jennings, Huff, TAC & Flagg should be our main LB's IMO, we should go with the Youth & Speed movement at LB, experience is irrelevant if you simply lack the tools to actually utilize that experience.
I wouldn't play him again. He should retire. That first play of UAB opening play was his fault.

Advertisement
Back