The official board of angry patrons versus Jagr thread

Miami04

Senior
If I am to believe the hype on some of these players then the coaching is not cutting it.

But in reality we are just average in every phase of the game.

Advertisement
So a way above average offensive team can’t score enough against FAU and Columbia to win games?

We scoring 4 runs or less in 35% of our games. That doesn’t scream amazing offense to me.

Last edited:
Advertisement
So a way above average offensive team can’t score enough against FAU and Columbia to win games?

They scored 27 runs against FAU in the previous two games but they "can't" score enough.

Good one.

Another goober who doesn't understand language or baseball.

We scoring 4 runs or less in 35% of our games. That doesn’t scream amazing offense to me.

Nobody said amazing.

So you just made that up.

And they got 11 hits last night. They only had 1 K. They just didn't string them together.

The team is hitting .300 right now.

You're wrong. Just admit it and move on.

Advertisement

It doesn't matter what it "screams" to you, because you're not coming from a well-informed place: statistics need context and benchmarks to have meaning. For example...

Arizona averages almost 10 runs a game, leading all P5 teams.* They have scored 4 runs or less in 26% of their games.**

The difference between us and the BEST offensive team is 2-3 games (~9% x 29), at least based on this arbitrary metric you selected. If you add enough runs to every game in which we scored 4 runs so as to get us to 5 runs or move (i.e. bring us to 0% scoring 4 or less - which is unrealistic), that would give us 2 additional wins (1 each vs. UF and Columbia) and 1 tie (vs. GT) - basically, 2-3 games.

If you are bent out of shape over 2-3 games, then @Peter Gibbons is right, you don't understand baseball. Have some perspective. 2-3 games out of 29 is almost meaningless***. There's still a lot of season to play, and if 2-3 games in the second half swing our way, we will end up with a good season (~37 wins) and possibly hosting a regional****. Our starting pitching needs to get going, we probably need to find 1 more reliable RP, and yes, it'd be great if we hit just a tad better.

*Source: https://www.ncaa.com/stats/baseball/d1/current/team/486; as of end of March, at least
**Source: https://arizonawildcats.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=1463
***Through 30 games, the Yankees, Red Sox, Astros, Cubs, and Indians are 9-21. How many of those teams will make the playoffs? Minimum 3, but probably all 5. (MLB to NCAA is not apples-to-apples, but still.)
****Source: https://www.ncaa.com/news/baseball/...16-regional-hosts-selected-2018-ncaa-baseball; 5/16 hosts last year were in the high 30's in wins.

People love to use the same old line: "why are you upset over just a couple of games??" We have missed the postseason two years in a row, and we already have 11 losses this year. So please stop acting as though posters get upset over a loss here and there.

If the wins never mean anything to you than the losses shouldn't either.

You continually employ logical fallacies.

Personal attacks
By the way, the moderators never fail to prove what pussies they are.

Now I'm banned from certain threads. Just ban the account if you're going to do that.

Advertisement
I'll go out on a limb and say that a team that misses two straight postseasons and then manages to lose six straight and 8 of 12 in year three probably isn't being led by Rod Dedeaux.

I'll go out on a limb and say that a team that misses two straight postseasons and then manages to lose six straight and 8 of 12 in year three probably isn't being led by Rod Dedeaux.

Maybe not Rod Dedeaux but what about Pat Casey?

He did it three times even using your extremely (and purposefully) narrow criteria.

1995: Lost 7 in a row and went 3-9 in 12 game stretch
1999: Lost 8 in a row and went 4-8 in 12 game stretch
2004: Lost 7 in a row and went 4-8 in 12 game stretch

And he met the initial criteria set forth by miami04 even more times.

2000: Lost 5 in a row and went 4-8 in 12 game stretch
2001: Lost 4 in a row and went 4-8 in 12 game stretch
2002: Lost 5 in a row and went 4-8 in 12 game stretch
2003: Lost 5 in a row and went 4-8 in 12 game stretch
2007: Lost 4 in a row and went 4-8 in 12 game stretch (Won National Championship)
2008: Lost 4 in a row and went 4-8 in 12 game stretch
2010: Lost 7 in a row and went 1-11 in 12 game stretch
2011: Lost 5 in a row and went 4-8 in 12 game stretch
2016: Lost 5 in a row and went 4-8 in 12 game stretch

So Pat Casey achieved 8 losses in a 12 game stretch an astonishing 5 years in a row.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back