The offensive line is garbage (period)

SevenNSeven

Junior
Going past the other obvious, glaring issues and the play-calling aspects. I'm simply taking a look at the biggest, more glaring disappointment from the game...

At it's base, this might have been one of the worst games by a Miami offensive line since the 2005 Peach Bowl against LSU.

Terrible at the point of attack, terrible at holding blocks, terrible at pulling, terrible all around performance. The few big runs Duke had were all outside (one of the longest caused by Walford's pretty obvious uncalled holding to set the edge) and they were blown up on numerous third and shorts. Most telling: I counted at least twice where Kaaya had defenders in his face on three step drops in non-blitz situations.

The 3-4 defense that Duh'Ville trotted out was by no means that good, the blitz packages not in any way complicated. Mostly it was a matter of the O-line being either technically weak or having bad communication (matters of 'passing' defenders off to teammates where they then aren't picked up), or, occasionally, just a matter of making mental mistakes.

The defense got worn down against a play caller that knows how to schematically draw blood, the QB play is pretty much setting up for Williams' return, we have play-makers that will inevitably do damage against other opponents, but the glaring weakness might be unfix-able at this point: against defenses with a wiff of talent, our OL is going to get their **** pushed in with that level of play.

We can, (and assuredly will) talk about Al Golden and his general aptitude (or lack thereof) and allegiance to his coaches all day, but it will be ironic if the unit that performs the weakest, the unit that has us staring down the barrel of a 7-5-ish type of year and Golden at his walking papers, is coached by none other than Art Kehoe, who himself was fired once before...not long after the last game I saw a UM offensive line perform much like this: the 2005 Peach Bowl.

Advertisement
Clearly one of the top reasons if not the top reason we lost the game. It was so obvious how terrible they were it was ridiculous. I mean bad as in fire Kehoe bad asap bad. Looked soft as ****. Gadbois and Isidora, smh. Poor Brad didn't stand a chance.

Lorenzo Mauldin might be a lower-round draft pick, and, a few of their other upperclassmen are talented, but I wouldn't say that Louisville is, talent-wise, good enough to justifiably dominate the line of scrimmage like they did against us.

No, the offensive line bumbled, stumbled, and generally looked all shades of over-matched out there.

The play calling was ridiculous. You don't see a team stuffing 9 guys in the box and proceed to run it. Then we tried to pass it with 2 guys running routes. It's stupid stuff. The OL had no chance and no help from Coley. He is the constant despite the changes in personnel from the last time we played UL

The play calling was ridiculous. You don't see a team stuffing 9 guys in the box and proceed to run it. Then we tried to pass it with 2 guys running routes. It's stupid stuff. The OL had no chance and no help from Coley. He is the constant despite the changes in personnel from the last time we played UL

Face value I agree with you, but some plays were simple routs designed to get the ball into the hands of playmakers, like Duke out of the backfield or Coley in space, and were destroyed just because Kaaya couldn't step up into the pocket and throw in situations where either Louisville was only rushing 4 or we were max protect and still had numbers to block.

Easy as it may be, don't pin it solely on Coley's amateurish play calling, just because he thinks he's the OC at a school with a good enough OL that they can pound the ball and pick up that yard in short situations, the OL's ineptitude was way, way more than just that.

Even if you subscribe to the fact that Lousivlle has the edge playmakers to make Grantham's 3-4 effective at pressuring the QB...we didn't get any push inside. None. Zero. Zilch.

Last edited:
Advertisement

This is true. Coley is a poor tactical OC, his **** makes almost no sense at all.

Feel for Duke

Well how the **** we see the same thing in two consecutive games against the same opponent. Where you had a month and then 8 months to prepare for them? It's Coley, our OL has had problems run blocking good lines for a while but we never really have problems pass pro. They were teeing of on Kaaya. They weren't just rushing 4. They were blitzing. Not one RB screen. Not one!

Just awful. We were awful last year, even though two of our OL are NFL rookie starters, and a transfer is a starter for a top 20 team.

Fire Kehoe. NOBODY in the country wants him, notice?

I'm a raa raa Canes fanatic too. Doesn't mean I should be coaching the OL at the expense of getting blown out every year.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back