The Offense?

hurcanes

Sophomore
What did we do differently in the first quarter? We looked good running, passing, tempo was great. We had Florida sucking wind and we were scoring. Then the rest of the game came. So what was it? Play calling, Oline, Morris, Florida D just figured us out or what?

Advertisement
I think we were too conservative in the second UF made a decision to not let duke get his and we played into it with a lot run, run, pass right after the half... that and to many roll outs.. 4 needs to get on the same page with Morris, too

I'm not as down on the offense as some might be, yeah it would have been nice to grind them down but the gators have a talented front and we were actively trying to not make the same mistakes they were.

If not for the bs holding call on flowers we put them away earlier. Conversely if the had been able to score before it was all but out of reach I think the play calling changes and we would have been able to move the ball and still been in a position to win.

We were conservative and it worked. Plenty of time to improve, especially now we have a d.

Too many run plays on first and second down. I believe that was a function of Morris playing so poorly so Coley was lacking confidence.

I would have liked to have seen some quick slants or short crossing routes on first down, but it was just a steady diet of running Duke into the teeth of that defensive line. It felt like "playing not to lose." Perhaps the "commitment to the run" people were happy w/ that play calling.

But in Coley's defense, we simply could not afford to have interceptions. And he was clearly afraid that UF's pressure would force Morris into mistakes, like the Hargreaves interception.

Morris definitely needs to do some extra work w/ the receivers over the next two weeks.

Last edited:
I don't think it was rocket science. We were better prepared and took it right to them.

They are legit for a reason and they adjusted. No sense, to me anyway, to look too much deeper than that. Not absolving everything, just keeping perspective.

We criticize Florida's fans for not giving us the credit for beating them, but yet we seem to be quick to point the finger right at our OC in the same breath. Makes no sense.

Advertisement
This was an amazing, orgasmic win. The only thing that detracts a bit from it, for me, is that our offense was below sub-par. As good as UF's defense is--and it's certainly elite--you can't go two full quarters with like 5 total yards and no first downs. Our defense put forwarda Hurculenan effort--props to Golden and D'O--but that is simply not sustainable over an entire year, and we can't expect that we'll be able to generate timely turnovers at that clip going forward. The defense was on the field for 40 minutes because the offense couldn't sustain a drive. Tough to judge from the stands, but my preliminary observations were that we seemed a bit predictable and that we relief WAY, WAY too often on QB sprint-outs, which I hate because they cut the field in half. How many times do we want our QB throwing the ball against his body on a roll-out? Also, I didn't see one drag or slant. Is this Pat Nix part 2?

I'm VERY concerned about what I saw, especially considering that our offense should be better than last year's and haven't seen one sign of that whatsoever, but I guess time will tell. Key is for this offense, and Coley, to improve and learn from this game. The biggest revelation during this game is that we have a ACC-title defense that is actually young. That's huge. I think they'll figure out the offense.

I think that we can all agree that we just beat ******* Florida, and both of our units have a ton of room to improve.

That's pretty ******* exciting.

Agreed, Jhall, lets just enjoy the win at least until our O or D crap the bed next. :)

After getting up 14-6, we became conservative and predictable. I started calling all plays before they happened to my friends i was watching the game with. That is NOT going to work against a great defense like Florida. We need to stay aggressive and take it to teams and stop playing "not to lose". That is what we did early with the deep pass to Dorsett. Nobody can cover that guy 1-on-1 deep.....yet we don't use him.

Another issue we had all game was trying to run wide. I just didn't get it. We couldn't get wide on Florida. They are fast and kept beating us to the edge. Our OLine is HUGE but not fast and nimble. Florida's Dline is fast but not huge. We should have run it right at Florida, used our size and power. Then Duke could have cut to the edge after getting past the 1st level.

Our offense has a lot of talent but our scheme in this game was not good.

Advertisement
I've rewatched most of the game and it was really a subpar game by Morris. He was locking in as usual and never looking back over the middle where Walford and Waters were open plenty. In particular on the pick and on the forced throw to Dorsett down the sideline he had guys running deep ins wide open.

I also don't think we did our oline any favors by not running any screens, counters, or QB draws...which really look like they would have been there.

Advertisement
Back