Official The OC Candidates Thread 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone talked about how the offense will run this season if we don’t find a coordinator until spring of 2024?

Advertisement
Any clue what happened to Applewhite? He used to be a huge name and was viewed as one of the top up and coming offensive coaches in college football. He gets the Houston HC gig after he was the OC while Tom Herman was HC and gets fired after going 8-4, the following season Houston went 4-8 and had one of the worst offenses in college football. He then cannot get a job anywhere until he gets a crappy G5 OC gig with South Alabama where he took over an offense scoring 19PPG and after his second season had them scoring 31PPG. South Alabama total offense was 116th in the country when he took over and last season it was 38th.
Had an relationship with a student while working as an offensive coordinator at UT. That damaged him to an extent. And then things falling apart after Herman really hurt him I would imagine.

Last edited:
Another guy out there that’s out of a job and itching to work that would come here and tear it up…

Nick Rolovich

Obviously has a cloud over his head due to a lawsuit against Wazzu’s AD. I can’t fault him for standing his ground in that situation. He proved to be in the right. Luckily Miami is a private school and has more leeway on those things.

You and @crossover22[]_[] each win here as you each can tag on to the other’s mope campaign if we get either.
200w.gif

Another guy out there that’s out of a job and itching to work that would come here and tear it up…

Nick Rolovich

Obviously has a cloud over his head due to a lawsuit against Wazzu’s AD. I can’t fault him for standing his ground in that situation. He proved to be in the right. Luckily Miami is a private school and has more leeway on those things.
You had me till you said he would tear it up.

That means he aint got a chance.

Advertisement
Right.

In one off-season Briles took it from 53 to 26.

There’s no reason to believe Applewhite had anything to do with that.

Go look at FAU before Briles, with Briles, after Briles.

Go look at FSU before, with, after.

Then look at Applewhite.

There’s no reason to believe Applewhite had anything to do with it. Houston’s improvement is a constant pattern with Briles. And an outlier under Applewhite.
2015 Houston offense scored 40.4 PPG while Applewhite was the play caller. Applewhite has had some real success as a play caller, South Alabama couldn't even score 20 PPG before Applewhite took over, in two years he had them scoring 31 and helped them go 10-3 and 7-1 in the Sun Belt. Regardless let's wait and see who the OC actually is before we argue.

Advertisement
The only way this extremely extended process makes sense is if Mario is on Plan C for our OC or he's been waiting for an NFL coach to finish out the season.

I don't believe it will be him (think the recent names have been the usual smokescreen), but if the hire ends up being Major Applewhite, that would be a massive failure. Not including us, there are 129 schools in FBS football. You're telling me that the best option we could find, in such a scenario, was Major Applewhite? We can hire and up and coming DC like Guidry but are going with some retread at OC? Again, don't think it'll happen, but we shouldn't be interviewing him to begin with.

2015 Houston offense scored 40.4 PPG while Applewhite was the play caller. Applewhite has had some real success as a play caller, South Alabama couldn't even score 20 PPG before Applewhite took over, in two years he had them scoring 31 and helped them go 10-3 and 7-1 in the Sun Belt. Regardless let's wait and see who the OC actually is before we argue.
So he would have us competing in the sun belt. **** it. Sign him up.

Advertisement
Lance Guidry made $204k from Marshall in 2021. I couldn’t confirm 2022 salary or what Tulane agreed to pay him.

Let’s say Miami is paying him $800k, there should be a crap ton of money to get whichever OC we want
There’s easily at least 30+ OC’s that are making significantly less than what we can pay who would be very good hires.

The problem is, most of them aren’t philosophically what Mario wants & thus the group gets attenuated.

Nick Rolovich

Yep. It would definitely fit Mario’s history of hires. This one and the other we’ve discussed align.

Any clue what happened to Applewhite? He used to be a huge name and was viewed as one of the top up and coming offensive coaches in college football. He gets the Houston HC gig after he was the OC while Tom Herman was HC and gets fired after going 8-4, the following season Houston went 4-8 and had one of the worst offenses in college football. He then cannot get a job anywhere until he gets a crappy G5 OC gig with South Alabama where he took over an offense scoring 19PPG and after his second season had them scoring 31PPG. South Alabama total offense was 116th in the country when he took over and last season it was 38th.

Did do a year under Saban's rehab coaches clinic before USA.

Advertisement

Nick Rolovich

Now you know **** well MC ain’t hiring no Run & Shoot coach from the Hawaii branch lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back