Official The OC Candidates Thread 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
I promise you that Mario cares about public perception. A coach who does not give a **** about that is unfit for the job.
Holy stupid of takes lol c’mon man.

I’m sorry but he doesn’t give a flying f^ck what Wake Cane or anyone else on Twitter or a message board cares for. Stop letting your emotions get out of hand, it’s not personal.

Applewhite wouldn't be that bad. It's a C- hire but that's mainly due to name. The biggest thing I want to know is what happened to the guy? He goes 8-4 as HC the year Deriq King has 50TDs while Houston has one of the most explosive offenses in college football and gets fired, after that the best job he could get for the next couple of years is OC at South Alabama? Definitely seems like something happened behind the scenes
I’d much rather have a young , up and comer over that guy.

I promise you that Mario cares about public perception. A coach who does not give a **** about that is unfit for the job.
Lol ok man, believe what you want.

I see yall woke up very ambitious this morning. One guy over there thinks Brian Johnson is the only explanation for the delay. You think Mario cares so much about public perception that he's dropping fake names.

Yall do your thing.

Advertisement
Applewhite wouldn't be that bad. It's a C- hire but that's mainly due to name. The biggest thing I want to know is what happened to the guy? He goes 8-4 as HC the year Deriq King has 50TDs while Houston has one of the most explosive offenses in college football and gets fired, after that the best job he could get for the next couple of years is OC at South Alabama? Definitely seems like something happened behind the scenes
With our budget and 3 month search, Applewhite is worth an uproar. Refuse to believe that happens.

I think we’re getting a random hire out of left field.

Advertisement
I have my idea of the reason why we are where we are. Mario, IMHO, has two BIG faults:

A) Even if everybody knew Gattis was toasted since November, he started to consider candidates seriously only way after ESD and probably not even before NSD.
B) He is stuck with his first option and unless he receives a firm "NO" he won't back down (we all know who he is at this point).

The explanation? Mario is obsessed with recruiting players and coaches, he probably uses the same pitbull-ish approach. Points A) and B) can be explained with this facet of his character: he delayed the hiring process because of the recruiting calendar and he's willing to recruit his first option since the end of times (Do you remember that Mario has to be convinced by his staff to let go the Cormani situation even after all that circus?).

This leads me to the "strange" interview calendar that came out late last week and this weekend: nothing transpired for weeks (months) and all of the sudden we know who's interviewing and when. Why? Maybe because the REAL interview process started late last week and stretched out during the weekend.

Two weeks ago many respected insiders thought that we were close to a done deal with the first option, then nothing happened and the week after that we started to hear about the interviews. Why? Two options and both could be true at the same time: Mario is covering his bases waiting for the first option's decision and he's interviewing for potential assistant/analyst jobs.

If I'm right, which I don't know and probably not, this won't be over quickly and I believe another round of interviews will take place this week unless the above-mentioned first option says "I'm in".

Last edited:
It's not that I want him to be the guy. It's just the only thing that would make sense to me.

But, anyways, I haven't been tracking this, how sure are we that Johnson is getting the OC gig if the OC goes to the Colts?
Or it could be he was Marios first choice and he pushed the timeline out hoping no NFL team would offer him an OC position. Kind of like with Dorsey last year. Not saying its a smart thing to do but it would explain the timeline as well.

April 14th is the spring game, time is running short, the banner committee needs to meet immediately!!

The good news is the banner planes have had a complete mechanical check and all systems are go and staff is standing by ready to take credit card payments.

Holy stupid of takes lol c’mon man.

I’m sorry but he doesn’t give a flying f^ck what Wake Cane or anyone else on Twitter or a message board cares for. Stop letting your emotions get out of hand, it’s not personal.

All due respect, you are missing the point a bit.

Does he care about message board chatter? Not really.

Does he care about overall public perception? Absolutely. The reason for the "orderly transition of coaches leaving UM" is definitely related to public perception BEYOND the "internet board experts".

Advertisement
2018 was a Kendal Briles offense.

7EA94481-5449-4F30-88DC-AC33A486B370.png

Advertisement
Re: Applewhite . . . I understand he's not a "hot" commodity any longer. Go back a few years and this board would have jumped up and down with the hire. However, the problem is when you hire a hot commodity, typically they tend to be folks with lesser experience/history (see, for example, Brady, Gattis). I can see why Mario would shy away from that type of hire and instead hire a known commodity (good or bad).

Anyways, I just want a professional at this point. I care less about style of offense or trends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back